Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering / Pulling

Is it normal for a boat to pull / veere to the right when you let go of the steering wheel? I have a 2005 wakesetter that pulls right when letting go of the steering wheel. If this was my car, I'd immediately bring it in to get aligned. Is this normal?

Thanks, DPR

Is it normal for a boat to pull / veere to the right when you let go of the steering wheel? I have a 2005 wakesetter that pulls right when letting go of the steering wheel. If this was my car, I'd immediately bring it in to get aligned. Is this normal?

Thanks, DPR

Perfectly normal. Don't worry. Rudder positioned behind rotating propeller on inboards will cause the

boat to pull slightly in one direction or the other, depending on the direction of prop rotation. On a Malibu,

it'll pull right.

Edited by srab

Thanks, DPR

Perfectly normal. Don't worry. Rudder positioned behind rotating propeller on inboards will cause the

boat to pull slightly in one direction or the other, depending on the direction of prop rotation. On a Malibu,

it'll pull right.

Well said! My boat does the samething...

Make sure you stress this point to any new driver who will be pulling someone. If they take off without holding the wheel, the boat will turn right around and run you over. almost.

You can neutral it out if you really want to. There are many postings about it. The issue is if you don't have the new style adjustable rudder, your going to have to grind material off the rudder.

However when the steering is neutral the boat will feel loose. Thats fine for a cruise around the lake but will hinder handling.

I agree. The positive tension in the steering system actually helps the driver feel the boat better. Driving a boat with nuetral steering in the course probaly wouldnt be that easy.

The reason it turns is the same reason for the "prop walk" in reverse. The small pressure differential in the water from the top of the prop to the bottom of the prop creates a kind of torque. Pretty much which ever way the prop is spinning at the bottom where the pressure is higher, thats the way the stern of the boat will move. (kind of like a tire spinning on ice) In reverse the malibu LH prop is spinning right to left at the bottom. Pushing the stern to the right. In forward at high speed the bottom of the prop is pushing left to right. The same effect as giving right rudder.

Has anyone seen the twin engine Mastercraft wakeboard boat? That's the definition of overkill.

Edited by Joe32586
Make sure you stress this point to any new driver who will be pulling someone. If they take off without holding the wheel, the boat will turn right around and run you over. almost.

LOL too fonny! Thaks for the clarification. I had an old 88 Sunsetter that pulled straight when you let go. When I drove the 2005 Wakesetter for the first time, it was an easy, wonderful drive / steering... until I let go... I feel better now. Again, mant thansk to all for your replies. DPR