Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VLX demo?

Grubbolater

Spoke to our local dealer today and he offered me a 2009 Malibu Wakestter VLX which they have been using at a training camp for the last couple of months. The boat has 265 hrs on it and appears visually to be in excellent condition - couple of little dings on the exterior which they will take care of. The boat has had all the routine maintenance performed. My question: what is fair value for this boat? I have looked on a bunch of websites including nada, boattrader, inboardsonly, craigslist, etc. and not surprisingly can't find any comps. Looking for some help valuing 265hrs, because I know that buying these boats brand new would be around $65,000. I thought I could look at other VLXs for sale with around those hours but that is not really giving value to the new hull design that came in 2009, the new dash in 2009, etc. because all the comps that I generate are boats that are 3,4, or 5 yrs old.

Any help/comments appreciated!

Boat Details (additional):

Docking lights (stainless steel)

MLS (bow ballast system)

Option 2 battery set up option

Pull up cleats (two pair)

Pylon chrome upgrade

Rear sundeck walkover

Transom underwater swim light

Wedge (power)

Billet chrome glove box door

Keyless ignition

Maliview 6.5" display system w/depth finder

Stainless steel gauge panel

12" subwoofer w/amp (rockford fosgate)

2-channel power amp (tower speakers) rockford fosgate

Sound pack 3

Transom remote

BM - aluminum tread plate on front & rear step pads

MC - bimini top and black boot for Illusion XS

Ebony swim platform - fiberglass

sounds like a great boat.

does the price being offered seem fair to you? The answer to that question is really all you need.

You could ask the dealer to show you what he sold a new one for for a comp, or you could try sending a pm to someone on this board that just purchased, maybe they would share that info with you.

sounds like a great boat.

does the price being offered seem fair to you? The answer to that question is really all you need.

You could ask the dealer to show you what he sold a new one for for a comp, or you could try sending a pm to someone on this board that just purchased, maybe they would share that info with you.

To be honest, I don't feel like I am experience enough to decide whether the price offered is fair or not. I feel I could make a pretty good estimate of what the new equivalent would be, so I think my big question is how to establish what 265hrs of depreciation is worth; that way I can figure out the fair market value of the boat.

Thoughts/comments?

This could be a great buy on a boat. New model year with a fair amount of hours on it, dealer should have worked al the "bugs" out of it by now. I would think there should be a decent discount on it but the dealer won't give it away either. See what he is asking for it and under cut him from there. You will find out real quick how badly he wants to sell it.

I would think it would be worth ~10% more than an equally used '08 model. but then what the hell do i know.

I was kind of thinking along those lines too, although IMO 10% is the top end given the economy. But yeah, somewhere between 5-10% more than a comparably loaded/used '08 should be close. The problem with that though is that even with all of the boats on the market, you're going to have a lot of them that are upside down. So what they're asking may be unrealistic when compared with what they can actually get for it, again given the state of the economy.

I got my brand new (.9 hours) 2008 LSV 23' for $50k.

Didn't have the blower, heated shower but had everything else.

Doesn't have the 2009 dash of course but this boat MSRP'd for high 70s so that should give you some idea how much they can come down.

10% off isn't nowhere good enough in my opinion.

So following the process suggested I come up with numbers around $45,000 using the Nada's dirty 2008 numbers, and $45,500-$48,000 after doing some manipulation of asking prices on boattrader.

So would you pay say $47,000 for this boat?

So following the process suggested I come up with numbers around $45,000 using the Nada's dirty 2008 numbers, and $45,500-$48,000 after doing some manipulation of asking prices on boattrader.

As long as that includes the trailer! I would be happy with that deal if the boat is as you have described it, which I have no reason to doubt. The question is will you? That certainly would not be a bad deal, probably is pretty good, considering to get a real good deal on a new 09 you will probably have to wait until the end of August, or into Sept. or Oct. when dealers start their fall price cutting unless you find something similar, or a repo etc. of an '09.

if he is willing to sell it at that price and you don't want it, let me know.

yes it sounds like a great deal. needs to include trailer (not mentioned in original post)

I would pay 48K for that boat! If you get it that low, please help me buy my next truck! That is cheaper than the price I paid for my '05 VLX.

I think you would be very lucky to get that boat for 58K-60K, which still a great deal.