Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski rope broke

Sixball

We had a ski rope brake on us two nights ago. IT had one season on it and no visible sine of ware. I was just coming out of the water and it let go. Our spotter ended up with it in his face. No injures. Tomato.gif

With as much as you guys ski I can see why the rope only lasts a yr.

Now that is a true compliment. Thumbup.gif

Yep!!!! I was expecting something about getting my fat a$$ out of the water. :blush:Biggrin.gif

I seem to recall this happening more often with certain skis if the rope would rub on the ski during their deep water starts. Although I'd expect that to be the 5' handle section rather than the rope itself.

Where did it break?

What brand of rope was it?

I seem to recall this happening more often with certain skis if the rope would rub on the ski during their deep water starts. Although I'd expect that to be the 5' handle section rather than the rope itself.

Where did it break?

What brand of rope was it?

the rope was a Straight Line. It broke about 1 1/2 ' past the handle section. I was thinking the same thing, may be from deep water starts.

I was thinking of replacing with a rope from Intow.

I carry two Straightline ropes in my boat. My favorite is a kneeboard rope that has a multi rope braided section for the five foot handle section. It also has floats near the handle. I gave about $60 to $70 for it many years ago. I did not find it listed at in Straightline's current lineup.

I found a similar design rope at Overton's as an example..

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/de...1009&r=view

I suspect the Overton's rope is not quite the quality that the Straightline rope is but have no way of knowing that. At 63 I may have bought my last ski ropes because of 21 average skier days last year only nine were behind my boat and the other days I towed my other 2 ski crew buddies boats to the lake.

Advantage: the handle floats and our wakeboarder does not fray the line. Disadvantage is that it only offers lengths of 75', 60' and 53'.

Our Straightline came with a 5' handle section a 48' mainline, a 7' and a 15' section. The Overton's has a fixed 55' length. I just hang mine on the pylon at 60' length anyway.

Edited by DONTW8

I broke a handle a couple of weeks ago in the middle of a pull between 2 and 3. Fortunately nobody was really hurt but I was sore for a couple of days. I ordered anew rope and handle from Intow the next day.