Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

K & N Filter Cleaning

Curious how often others clean and reoil the K & N air intake filters? I have one on my 340 Monsoon and have never done it. Wondering if I should / need to.

I think the manual says 400-500 hours, but it obviously depends on conditions. I can't imagine anything other than pollen really getting it dirty. I just cleaned mine (180hrs) for the hell of it. You can pick up a kit that will do several cleanings for about $10 at most auto parts places. The kit consists of a cleaner (that you spray on, then garden hose from inside out) and oil (after it thoroughly dries, spray the oil on ....sparingly). The oil returns it to the red color.

I think the manual says 400-500 hours, but it obviously depends on conditions. I can't imagine anything other than pollen really getting it dirty. I just cleaned mine (180hrs) for the hell of it. You can pick up a kit that will do several cleanings for about $10 at most auto parts places. The kit consists of a cleaner (that you spray on, then garden hose from inside out) and oil (after it thoroughly dries, spray the oil on ....sparingly). The oil returns it to the red color.

Thanks davemac....I think I'll go ahead clean mine. I got about 220hrs on mine and it's looking a little dirty

]

Thanks davemac....I think I'll go ahead clean mine. I got about 220hrs on mine and it's looking a little dirty

I thought mine looked a little dirty too. IMHO, it didn't look much different after cleaning/recharging, but it is one less thing to worry about for awhile.

Just don't do it on a day when you plan on using the boat shortly thereafter....it takes a little while for the filter to air dry. The only other thing...(others warn) go sparingly when re-oiling. You don't want that stuff sucked into the intake.

The kit does include simple instructions. Good Luck.

Edited by davemac

One tip: After oiling, let it sit outside in the sun for a couple hours on a cardboard box. It will allow for the excess oil to drip off on the cardboard rather than into the intake.

One tip: After oiling, let it sit outside in the sun for a couple hours on a cardboard box. It will allow for the excess oil to drip off on the cardboard rather than into the intake.

good advice....thanks. I figured it would take several hours to air dry after rinsing. But didn't even think about the oil getting sucked into the intake. Thanks alot.