Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yes, I know Another Ballast question

Ndawg12

I'm thinking about building a small, treated wood, carpeted enclosure for the bow, and dropping in a small 150-250lb bag in there. However my question is this, I've heard that you don't have to vent these bags therefore I assume you just run a fill and drain to them and your done. When the bag fills up it will actually push past the drain pump??? Is that correct??

You don't need a vent but you will always have some air in the bag. This will make you turn on and off the fill a few times, plus you will need a check ball so water is not sucked back out. yes when the bag is full it will push water out the bottom of your drain hole.

You don't need a vent but you will always have some air in the bag. This will make you turn on and off the fill a few times, plus you will need a check ball so water is not sucked back out. yes when the bag is full it will push water out the bottom of your drain hole.

Past the pump!!?? I find that hard to believe but I'll take your word for it.

You mention a check ball, I assume you mean a check valve in the fill line so that flow only goes one way and I'm not trying to drain the lake into the lake Crazy.gif

Since you mention a drain pump I guess your using aerator pumps. So yes when the bag is full it will push water past the drain pump, but since your drain pump will be on the bottom fitting you'll still have air trapped in the bag. And yes water will run back out of the fill pump, UNLESS, the bag is below the water level. If the bag IS below the water level then the bag will fill on it's own unless you shut the valve.

Since you mention a drain pump I guess your using aerator pumps. So yes when the bag is full it will push water past the drain pump, but since your drain pump will be on the bottom fitting you'll still have air trapped in the bag. And yes water will run back out of the fill pump, UNLESS, the bag is below the water level. If the bag IS below the water level then the bag will fill on it's own unless you shut the valve.

No the bag will sit on the floor in the bow, it will be above the water level.

No matter where the bag is it will drain back into the lake unless you have a air gap between the fill hose and water. Just the movement of the boat will suck it back into the lake with in a short time.

yes the check ball will be on the fill side.

I would suggest using a swing check for the least amount of flow restriction. Have you considered reversible pumps? Less plumbing & no check valves.

Edited by beast