Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

floating wedge for 08 cut dimond vtx

Nicvtx

hi guys,

we have a 08 vtx cut dimond hull with the 3 ballast tanks, we are realling getting into wakeboarding now and are starting to do some tricks,

my dad beleives the floating wedge is a gymic and does not help at all

is this true or is it definately worth spilling the $1000 aus to get it

and could anyone give me an idea on how much better the wake will be

Eg SIZE and SHAPE

would we need to add bow ballast for it to work better or would it work fine with out it

thanks guys

Edited by boat1956
hi guys,

we have a 08 vtx cut dimond hull with the 3 ballast tanks, we are realling getting into wakeboarding now and are starting to do some tricks,

Eg SIZE and SHAPE

would we need to add bow ballast for it to work better or would it work fine with out it

thanks guys

It's not a gimmick and does produce down force on the stern of the boat.

You can do a search and see a lot of information on the topic.

hi guys,

Eg SIZE and SHAPE

thanks guys

We have an 08 VTX Diamond with power wedge and no bow tank. Wedge works great to shape the wake. Definitely helps increase the size and adjust the peakiness of the wake. With the floating wedge, not sure where the peakiness sits, it is probable adjusted to provide the maximum downforce possible but it is no gimmick.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

sweet guys thats what i needed to hear, i explained to my dad and said why do you think basicly ever mal has a wedge?

he didnt answer but i got him to think about it

sweet guys thats what i needed to hear, i explained to my dad and said why do you think basicly ever mal has a wedge?

I was thinking that the wedge was standard on all Wakesetters, which is the only way you can get the VTX model, but I couldn't remember since the power wedge was a definite upgrade. I don't think I have ever seen a VTX without a wedge.

I was thinking that the wedge was standard on all Wakesetters, which is the only way you can get the VTX model, but I couldn't remember since the power wedge was a definite upgrade. I don't think I have ever seen a VTX without a wedge.

I was thinking the same way. I thought part of the Wakesetter branding was the Wedge

i would of liked that, its a cut dimond so we use it as a crossover but when wakeboarding the wake lacks size, does anyone have any photos of their wake with power wedge and or manual wedge, cause like maybe in the long run it would be worth it geting the power wedge over the floating wedge

No retrofit for the power wedge is available, manual will be your only choice.

I wrote up a comparison of the old fixed wedge & floating wedge some time ago. The link is here. Long story short, we had lost the old wedge due to the infamous bolt failure & used it as an excuse to upgrade to the floater. Now, this was on a VLX with the wake hull, but it really makes a major difference.

thanks wakegirl, i talked to my mechanic over here in aus and he said that he can send the boat back down to the factory for the power wedge, but right now im only interested in the floating wedge, do you have any pics of the wake with and without the wedge

Sorry, no pics of the boarding wake. The wedge does make a difference though, whether it's the old style or the newer floater. But honestly, if the dealer is willing to do a retrofit on the power wedge, I'd be all over that like stink on a pig. :)

dont take my word for it, i may of miss heard, but its about 1 grand more so in the long run it would be better and then you can fully ajust the wake,

our vtx wake right now is really lacking size and lip, we have just the 3 ballast tanks

heres the wake at 20mph just the tanks

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

The wedge, either floating or power would make the wake more vertical. It wouldn't add a lot of size, but a little. The power wedge obviously gives you more versatility, but on the wake boats I'd say that the floating wedge would give you at least 70-80% of what the power wedge will do. One thing to think about - boats equipped with the power wedge tend to be easier to sell & have a bit higher resale value. Just something to think about.

thanks for that wakegirl, we have made our decision and are going for the floating wedge, as we dont have a bow tank a mate of mine took us out in his vtx (cutdimond) with the 4 tanks and power wedge and we found if you just had the 2 rears and the centre full with wedge at 70% it porpises, so we just decided to go with the floating wedge to save a bit off cash as well,

resale value doesnt mean anyhting to me as i am giving it to my son when he gets his licence cause im getting to old and fragile now (56) this year

Edited by boat1956