Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VTX Exhaust manifolds badly corroded

So here it is...

Since I bought my VTX, in 2008, I have had nothing but trouble. Luckily some most items have been covered under warranty but now my warranty is up I am having to do a lot of things myself. I just had to change the steering cable after only replacing it 4 months ago...

Anyhow I now have my exhaust manifolds on my engine (320LCR) seeping water through where the corrosion is so bad and Malibu refuses to replace them but will give me new ones for $580 each (Australian dollar)...

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same problem and if so what was the part number I will need to quote to replace them or any other options I might have eg. different but suitable manufacturers of replacement parts

Regards

Jack

(one unhappy Malibu owner haha)

Why is your warranty up? The boat has a 3year 400hr warranty which should cover the exhaust manifolds. The steering cable issue also seems strange. I know why it would not be covered as it is considered a maintenance item, but for it to be replaced 4 months later is not normal. I am not trying to be a jerk but there seems to be more to the story. In all my experiences Malibu was not difficult to deal with on issues that were flaws or defects.

Sounds like you use your malibu alot, and in salt water I'm guessing.

If you allow that steering cable to sit submerged in bilge water, especially in salty bilge water you will tear through steering cables.

Same thing with your exhaust manifolds, you need to flush the engine thoroughly with fresh water each time you put it away, even with closed cooling. Also don't be shy using WD-40 or similar all over the motor to prevent corrosion.

-Chris

Why is your warranty up? The boat has a 3year 400hr warranty which should cover the exhaust manifolds. The steering cable issue also seems strange. I know why it would not be covered as it is considered a maintenance item, but for it to be replaced 4 months later is not normal. I am not trying to be a jerk but there seems to be more to the story. In all my experiences Malibu was not difficult to deal with on issues that were flaws or defects.

Unless it's used commercially.

Hey guys,

The boat only has 100hrs on it (not commercial) and i look after it really well, It is used in salt water a lot but always gets thoroughly washed out... As for the warranty... Apparently corrosion of any type is not covered under Malibu Factory warranty... Needless to say Malibu in Australia are less than helpful. If I was to start naming all the problems I have had with this boat in the past 18 months I would run out of pages haha

So has anyone got any ideas on the part number I need for these or better yet a Malibu head office number, maybe that would be worth a try?!

How could you possibly tear through a set of cast iron manifolds in less than 1 year? Even in salt water they should last 3-5 seasons.

The LCR still has the two piece riser/manifold correct? I have seen water seep through where they bolt together, but holes from corrosion I have not. Then again I am no where near a salt environment.

I would try to contact Customer Service directly and talk on the subject.

Yeh,

Thats what i'm thinking...

Obviously alot of you guys are lucky enough to be running in freshwater...

I live in Perth, Western Australia and we pretty much have a massive river that runs all the way through the city and there are different areas you can wake on (given the weather, we are one of the top 3 windiest places on earth too) but the river is of course salt water as it leads into the ocean