Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1991 Malibu Skier watertight issues

Hey everyone ... I've thrown up a couple of posts in the past few weeks .... here's a new one.

I bought a 91 Malibu skier on a steal (as some said) .... fixed it up right and runs mint. One quick question, and here it is:

After 24 hours how much water should I have to pump out with my bilge. As of right now im working with roughly 2 inches. I just want to make sure. The basket seal (I think I named that correctly) on the driveshaft has been adjusted and is dripping once every 20-30 seconds. As you can tell I dont know too much ... first boat. Thanks again for any help, love this site.

I'm not sure but I'd have less than 1/4" of water after 1 week, with no use. And I have a leaking raw water pump housing (cracked).

The only time I need to used my bildge pump is after a day of watersports, or maybe a really heavy downpour.

i have the same year boat. i really dont get water in mine at all. ive been thinking that i should have more in there. how much did you get it for?

i have the same year boat. i really dont get water in mine at all. ive been thinking that i should have more in there. how much did you get it for?

Hey Mr. Fairfield boat owner, I am going to try and change the subject just a little bit. I was stationed at Travis AFB a few years back and I went to Berryessa lake. I still love to go there at least twice a year. But I have read that the lake is very low and also that it is actually closed, or at least some of the marinas are. I am wondering if you know anything about the current conditions of

the lake? I live in So. Calif, and it is a long drive up there to find out I am not able to use the launch ramps. Thanx. Steve

check out the rudder for leakage also.. i have a '92 with a CW rudder assembly (company no longer in business - bad designs - malibu dealers clueless about these - marine hardware will sell a replacement assembly for $500 - $600 - if you have the CW it is a bronze rudder in an aluminum 3piece assembly that includes some rubber o-ring and cup ring seals)... ...I was able greatly reduce my leakage on the rudder by:

1) having a machine shop make me a new top plate (aluminum made to better - tighter fit) --> this also reduces rudder "tip"

2) going to local hydrolic hose shop and getting new o-ring seals

3) emory cloth on rudder shaft before reassembly

I went from a drip per second (almost a stream that would result in ~ 1/2 in bilge overnight (12 hours) to nearly no leak...

...Note - I expect to repeat this re-oring process at some point in the future (so long as its only every couple years, I'll keep smiling... ...if not, I'll buy a good retrofit from marine hardware.

check out the rudder for leakage also.. i have a '92 with a CW rudder assembly (company no longer in business - bad designs - malibu dealers clueless about these - marine hardware will sell a replacement assembly for $500 - $600 - if you have the CW it is a bronze rudder in an aluminum 3piece assembly that includes some rubber o-ring and cup ring seals)... ...I was able greatly reduce my leakage on the rudder by:

1) having a machine shop make me a new top plate (aluminum made to better - tighter fit) --> this also reduces rudder "tip"

2) going to local hydrolic hose shop and getting new o-ring seals

3) emory cloth on rudder shaft before reassembly

I went from a drip per second (almost a stream that would result in ~ 1/2 in bilge overnight (12 hours) to nearly no leak...

...Note - I expect to repeat this re-oring process at some point in the future (so long as its only every couple years, I'll keep smiling... ...if not, I'll buy a good retrofit from marine hardware.

Thanks much, Ill give it a look. Im pulling it out saturday with my mechanic to figure it out. Thanks again