Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It was bound to happen..............

auto

well headed out today to do a little boarding, had not done anything since the last oil change everything was normal, didn't go to the SS because of debris from recent rains and was on lake lavon. :(

Pull off the trailer, turn the ballast pumps on, pick the up the manservant who backed the trailer, idle out of the no wake zone, hit it up to full powe. Cross some rollers, boat seems to be handling a little rough, i.e. porpoising. Lake is perfect glass, boat not performing well, look at the display, auto bilge is on Shocking.gif

I check the center plug, it's in, have my buddy check the engine plug, yes you guessed it, no plug. Shocking.gif

Jump in check the transom plug, it's in. Start frantically looking for the plug, not to be found. Found a rag, plugged the hole, started to ride, bilge kicks on again . Mad.gif

Made it back to the trailer, found the plug below the engine, which is a good place for the plug. Mad.gif

New lesson, whether you take the plugs out of your boat or not, check before boating. :blush:

Found a rag, plugged the hole, started to ride,....

You were gonna ride with just a rag shoved in the hole? Crazy.gif You're nuts. :lol:

Did you forget to put it in? Or did it wiggle loose on its own? Shocking.gif

I never take out my plugs, let's just say a third party forgot Biggrin.gif Hell we were pulling a skate when the bilge kicked back on, no reason to waste a perfect day on the water ROFL.gif

Edited by auto

I did the same things right after I purchased my first inboard, a 'bu. I had picked it up from getting its 20 hour service and went straight to the lake. I checked the transom plug and the plug under the engine cover (DD), and off we went. As you can probably guess the bilge started running. Nobody told me there were 3 plugs for the boat. We found the place in the ski locker under the rubber mat with no plug. Shocking.gif

My Son was able to find the missing plug in the glove box and we got it in and the water stopped just about the time the water was at floor level. It took forever to get it all pumped out but we were able to continue and have a good day on the lake. No engine problems at all. Crazy.gif

Whenever I pull one of my plugs and don't put it right back in, I leave it at the driver's feet.

Makes it pretty impossible to miss when you're putting the boat back into the water.

Mike

Might want to purcahse some spares for all holes as well and keep them in the glove box so they can always be found in "emergencies" light a glassy lake surface.

Edited by Baddog
Whenever I pull one of my plugs and don't put it right back in, I leave it at the driver's feet.

Makes it pretty impossible to miss when you're putting the boat back into the water.

Mike

I tie them to the steering wheel if I ever take them out, i.e. winterazation.

On old boats that have a lot of ready-to-fail thru hulls and valves I made it a point to rubber cement the propper size plugs right next to the fitting, I've grabbed more than one over the years. It saves a lot of stress and fiddling around when the water's pouring in.

well headed out today to do a little boarding, had not done anything since the last oil change everything was normal, didn't go to the SS because of debris from recent rains and was on lake lavon.  :(

Pull off the trailer, turn the ballast pumps on, pick the up the manservant who backed the trailer, idle out of the no wake zone, hit it up to full powe. Cross some rollers, boat seems to be handling a little rough, i.e. porpoising. Lake is perfect glass, boat not performing well, look at the display, auto bilge is on Shocking.gif

I check the center plug, it's in, have my buddy check the engine plug, yes you guessed it, no plug. Shocking.gif

Jump in check the transom plug, it's in. Start frantically looking for the plug, not to be found. Found a rag, plugged the hole, started to ride, bilge kicks on again .  Mad.gif

Made it back to the trailer, found the plug below the engine, which is a good place for the plug. Mad.gif

New lesson, whether you take the plugs out of your boat or not, check before boating. :blush:

You were gonna ride with just a rag shoved in the hole? Crazy.gif You're nuts. :lol:

Whistling.gif

Did that with my first I/O. Didn't notice until I hit the throttle and the bow shot straight up. It was then I noticed lots of water in the floor locker.

Made it almost 3 seasons without doing in in my MC. Fortunately, I was just dipping the trailer in the water to let it settle on a little better. Just cleaned out the bilge a little.

I am suprised he didnt use a shotgun shell. Oh yeah, wrong boat.

don't carry shotgun shells in the BU, would not have been an issue on the gatortrax. For the slow readers Biggrin.gif out there, it was not me or anyone in my crew or household

The only plug we take out is the one in the ski locker. We use a pair of pliars to put it in and out. When it comes out it gets stuck straight up in the drivers seat with the pliars. If you miss that then you shoulndt own a boat.

_tIm_

i always pull the engine plug and let the boat drain as long as it needs to. i put the plug in the cupholder to the immediate left of the steering wheel so i can't miss it.