Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reverse

Can someone please tell me why when i try to back my boat to the left the rear goe's to the right?

This is the crazyest thing i have ever seen. I have a new bu to me a 96 sunsetter with stock prop.

Please shed some light on my pea brain.

Embrace it, learn to work with it. All inboards go to one side or the other when backing up, Malibus go right, Nautiques go left. It has to do with the rotation of the prop. Unlike an outboard, the prop stays in one place on an inboard and the rudder is no longer very effective when it is in FRONT of the prop when you're backing up.

Don't be alarmed, it's just how it is.

Because thats the way all right screw inboards drive. And left screws pull to the left (ie; MB, Nautique, etc.). It's predictable & can be used to your advantage.

I hear the double rudder Epic is steerable in reverse.

Or you can use short bursts of reverse & it will pull to the right a lot less. If I need to put a dock or boat on my left side, then I over steer to the right, then use short bursts in reverse to stop the boat & bring the back of the boat in. It's not nearly as predictable & a tiny bit of wind makes it hard.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Can someone please tell me why when i try to back my boat to the left the rear goe's to the right?

This is the crazyest thing i have ever seen. I have a new bu to me a 96 sunsetter with stock prop.

Please shed some light on my pea brain.

If you must back up to the left, you bought the wrong brand.

Assuming this is your first experience with an inboard...they are not very proficient at backing up straight or (in the case of Malibu) to the left. Also, there is very little steering to be had when in neutral. In reverse, the rotation of the prop "walks" the stern of the boat sideways. The wisecrack above (sorry) is because Correct Craft (Nautiques) have a Right Hand prop rotation...the opposite of most other ski boats, so their stern only goes left in reverse.

It is something you have to get used to and anticipate when driving. In some instances it can be helpful.

There are a couple threads on here (one even w/ a video) that give advice and assistance for docking techniques. It generally is more desirable due to simplicity to dock on the starboard side when possible. Go to a quiet spot in the lake and practice....perhaps even throw a cushion in the water and navigate around it. For the sake of safety when you have a skier in the water, you should know what to expect when hitting reverse (or trying to steer in neutral for that matter).

Be patient and good luck.

Edited by davemac

Thank you all very much. I had feeling it was an inboard thing but was hoping it might be a prop issue. Which it is in a way. Thanks again

Because thats the way all right screw inboards drive. And left screws pull to the left (ie; MB, Nautique, etc.). It's predictable & can be used to your advantage.

I hear the double rudder Epic is steerable in reverse...

FWIW my previous boat, a 2000 Supra Legacy, would back up straight. No one would believe it until they tried it. The prop shaft and rudder were set up slightly off center which made the difference. Crank the rudder all the way left and it would back up straight as an arrow. One of the few things I really miss about that boat...

Ed

I hear the double rudder Epic is steerable in reverse.

Or you can use short bursts of reverse & it will pull to the right a lot less. If I need to put a dock or boat on my left side, then I over steer to the right, then use short bursts in reverse to stop the boat & bring the back of the boat in. It's not nearly as predictable & a tiny bit of wind makes it hard.

X2!!!