Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a Grease Monkey

OK, at the beginning of the summer I bought a 97 Sunsetter /w the 320 monsoon. Within a few weeks I started having trouble. In the beginning I only had issues at high speeds (above wakeboarding speeds). What would happen is that is would intermittently loose power. It has been to the shop more then it has been to the lake and it still is not fixed. Now it is happening at lower and lower speeds, this has pretty much ruined my summer.

I am looking for help. I am a fairly mechanical person and am looking for someone that I can talk to about what is going on so I can fix my boat. If any of y'all know someone that understands these engines that would be willing to talk to me please shoot me a message with some way to contact them.

Thanks

Edited by geogilbert

My buddy's 01 Rlx did that a couple of years ago. If I recall it turned out to be the computer (ECM?). I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

Out of curiosity...where are you located? Maybe someone could recommend a competent mechanic.

If I recall it turned out to be the computer (ECM?).  I'll call him tomorrow and ask.

OK. Yes, it was the ECM. I think that means you have to go to your local Malibu dealer. Not sure the an independant mechanic could test/replace the ECM but ICBW. Sorry but I can't recommend any mechanics as I am in Nor Cal not FL. Good luck.

There are 2 fuel filters, make sure to change both.

Did you replace the cap and rotor? If not, do it. Might also check the water temperature sensor. If it sends screwy signals to the ECM it gets ugly fast.

What are the things the mechanic moron "fixed"?

At the risk of throwing them under the bus, have you been going to the Malibu dealer in Ocala? I have heard they consistently rank at the top nationwide when it comes to service. If you are using someone in Gainesville, gives the boys in Ocala a try (do a search to get the number, I don't want to say their name here, in case they are the ones you are going to now, in which case, don't I feel like a jerk?) It may be worth the short drive...

Good luck to you

O.K. After re-reading your original post I have come up with a theory.

I'm thinking you may have some sort of obstruction at or near your fuel pump inlet. It is possible that after sitting around a bit, whatever is clogging the screen has time to "sink" back down the fuel lines, only to be sucked back up as fuel is drawn toward the pump as fuel flow increases.

You said it used to happen at higher speeds, now it's doing it at lower speeds. It could be the obstruction is "getting worse". Changing your filters won't help, as the obstruction has gotten by them.

Does you fuell pump "sqeal" when the power loss is occurring. It may be hard to hear when you're running, but if you're listening for it you might be able to. I would suggest pulling the line off the bottom of the pump (carefully,please...gas is going to run) and seeing what, if anything comes out. (I used a glass to catch the fuel so I could inspect it) Also, use an inspection mirror to look up into the pump at the screen, you can get one at an auto parts store.

I had a piece of fuel line clogging the screen. The problem was intermittant, so my guess is that after sitting it may have sunk down the line (toward the tank) You may have something there too. It's definitely worth a shot to take a look.

There are 2 fuel filters, make sure to change both.

Did you replace the cap and rotor?  If not, do it.  Might also check the water temperature sensor.  If it sends screwy signals to the ECM it gets ugly fast.

What are the things the mechanic moron "fixed"?

Sorry but we (tmc) have found 3 filters. One at the tank, one in line and one going into the carb/ inj pump.

Seeing how it is starting to loss more and more power, and form what little info you have giving us. I would start with the fuel system. I know in some boat fuel tanks, there will be a anti flow back valve at the top of the tank. Parts of the tank (when it was made and fell in) will get stuck in there and start restricking your fuel flow.

Please tell us what has been done so it will help us help you.

Good luck and Welcome.gif to the site.

• 1 month later...

I had similar symtoms with my new RLXi motor.

Turned out to be the check valve coming out of the tank was fouled. Only discovered this after checking everything else in the fuel system.

If you are at a similar stage I would pull this off the top of the tank and check it out. Anything that gets into the tank will hit this ballbearing check valve first. This valve exists on EFI motors to keep the fuel line primed for faster starting.

If it is fouled you may only notice the problem under load or at higher RPM's.

Good luck.

I'm thinking you may have some sort of obstruction at or near your fuel pump inlet. It is possible that after sitting around a bit, whatever is clogging the screen has time to "sink" back down the fuel lines, only to be sucked back up as fuel is drawn toward the pump as fuel flow increases.

I had the same problem you have on my 95 Response, It was a clogged pick up in the tank, Pull the pick up out of the tank and see if it is clogged.

I you need some help PM me and I will see what I can do.

As for mechanics there is one in Melrose he does a good job, just need to make sure he doesn't do any work you don't want done.

Or you can go to the Malibu dealer in Ocala, Ski Boat Solutions

Were do you ride?