Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change - the bad, and the good...

can you use synthetic oil in a boat?  And also at what interval should you change your oil 20 hrs 50 hrs 100hrs 200hrs?

Per Indmar every 50hrs Biggrin.gif

anybody found a synthetic which meets all of Indmars specifications?

It's really a wom at 50 hr oil change intervals regular dino oil works just fine. I don't see any benefits.

can you use synthetic oil in a boat?  And also at what interval should you change your oil 20 hrs 50 hrs 100hrs 200hrs?

It's really a wom at 50 hr oil change intervals regular dino oil works just fine. I don't see any benefits.

There are plenty of independent tests that show the benefits of syn over regular oil.. specifically in its ability to maintain viscosity, higer cook temp (when it becomes varnish) and overall "slipperyness"... It may not be worth the cost.. (personal choice) but there are plenty of benefits

I didn't want to start a dyno vs. synthetic debate, just wanted to see if anyone found a synthetic the xcrewy ratings Indmar is looking for.

BTW, we run synthetic in all our vehicles and rarely do 7500 mile oil change. Can't see why a boat would be any different escept Indmar trying to scare you off.

BTWW, the last dealer oil change cost me about $220.00. The last oil change I did, cost me $5.99 for the filter, $2.49/qt x 5, plus an hour of my time. And while I was dong the oil change I got to listen to tunes and watch a hottie wash down a boat next to me. Priceless :)

Exactly Stewart.

Oil, $12

Filter, $5

Not having some grease monkey at the dealer who doesn't care about my boat climbing around in it, priceless.

(Not implying my dealer is less than great, but you get the idea)

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy spending a few hours working on the boat, be it oil change, cleaning it up, waxing, whatever.

Boomer,

Just an idea, albeit a crazy one,...but maybe you should consider letting the dealer, or anyone else doing it next time? I know in my case its worth the saved anguish. (in fact I'd pay twice as much as they regularly charge)

Thanks for reminding me why I don't change my own oil anymore... :lol:

I agree 04, I don't mind dropping my boat off and picking it up a day later with it done.

Oil $10

Filter $5

Time wasted cussing and swearing, spilling @#$# all over your boat... Priceless

Well having a DD and listening you all you VD guys complaining about service ...no that is priceless Tease2.gif

haha I have to say the same thing, plus they are really complaining about nothing. An impelller isnt an impossible task, done it many a time on vdrives, along with oil filters. We waste all this bandwidth because these lazy wakeboarders drink too much beer and can't fit in the storage compartments of their stupid vdrive boats Tongue.gif

WakeandSnow, 

They are easy to install and inexpensive, you screw in a plate that has two female fittings built in where your oil filter goes, then you install a oil filter holder somewhere in the engine where is easy to get to and install two hoses in between, they sell all type and shape of plate mounts for the new filter holder so you can pretty much pick your place to put it. My buddy's 04 Sanger came with a Black Scorpion engine, it has a remote oil filter from the factory. 

Remote Oil Filter Kit

Oz,

Thanks for the info. This definitely sounds like a no-brainer for us V-drive folks... I suppose that the only other requirement would be to adjust the oil added to account for the lenght of the hoses and fittings....

So, who's going to make this mod first? :)

JZ

Unless someone beats me to it, that baby is going on the new boat this winter.

Going off of memory here, but IIRC Amsoil has a diesel rated synthetic that meets all of the ratings.

Amsoil says they are, but they don't give any API ratings. I guess they don't want to pay the blood money. :)

I did find a good semi-synthetic that I used last time. Quaker State 4X4 / SUV 15W40. It exceeds Indmars API requirements. And can be had @ Kragens.

Shell makes Rotella in a synth formula for diesels. It's 5W40, but they say it's meant to replace 15W40 in diesel applications. I use it in my cummins.

I went with Chevron Delo 15W40 for my oil change this time.

I didn't want to start a dyno vs. synthetic debate, just wanted to see if anyone found a synthetic the xcrewy ratings Indmar is looking for.

BTW, we run synthetic in all our vehicles and rarely do 7500 mile oil change.  Can't see why a boat would be any different escept Indmar trying to scare you off.

BTWW, the last dealer oil change cost me about $220.00.  The last oil change I did, cost me $5.99 for the filter, $2.49/qt x 5, plus an hour of my time.  And while I was dong the oil change I got to listen to tunes and watch a hottie wash down a boat next to me.  Priceless  :)

Wasn't trying to start the discussion down that path either, for the record I do use it in my truck and car.

Exactly Stewart.

Oil, $12

Filter, $5

Not having some grease monkey at the dealer who doesn't care about my boat climbing around in it, priceless.

(Not implying my dealer is less than great, but you get the idea)

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy spending a few hours working on the boat, be it oil change, cleaning it up, waxing, whatever.

Totally agree. The advantages are it gives you a good time to just look things over for a maintenance aspect.

Amsoil says they are, but they don't give any API ratings.  I guess they don't want to pay the blood money.  :)

I did find a good semi-synthetic that I used last time.  Quaker State 4X4 / SUV 15W40.  It exceeds Indmars API requirements.  And can be had @ Kragens.

That's what I'm using myself.

• 1 year later...
Amsoil says they are, but they don't give any API ratings.  I guess they don't want to pay the blood money.  :)

I did find a good semi-synthetic that I used last time.  Quaker State 4X4 / SUV 15W40.  It exceeds Indmars API requirements.  And can be had @ Kragens.

That's what I'm using myself.

So now for the dumb question - If I use something like the Tempo Oil Boy to pump out the oil, does it attach to rubber hose connected to the oil drain or does it go in the oil fill?

Edited by Short563

If you can create a vacuum, using the appropriate size tube, you may have better results going from the oil drain hose. I extract mine from there, but my extractor is electric.

Newbie here. Great info on this site. I have been scrolling through today trying to play catch up on all the maintenance procedures for my Wakesetter with the Monsoon. I decided I didn't want to spend the $300 for dealer service this year. I have read all the post on winterization and oil changes but still have a few questions if someone doesn't mind helping me out.

1. What can I leave out in the winterization process if I keep my boat in a heated storage for 6 months?

2. What type of oil do I put in the v-drive? I no longer have the manual :(

3. Where is the fuel filter located?

Is this it?

fuel.jpg

4. Is this where the raw water impeller is located? (take off the three bolts?)

raw.jpg

overview.jpg

Edited by Air Tahoe

1.) How cold does it get there and does your storage ever lose power? It would be a very expensive mistake if your block froze.

2.)www.indmar.com and poke around for the manual download.

3.) That looks like the fuel filter from the picture. It should have a flow arrow on it.

4.) NO! Follow the intake line from the bottom of the boat up to the engine. This is where your impeller is. Unfortunately, because your motor is mounted backwards, you can't get there from here. ;)

I've been using the Valvoline 20/50 Synthetic Racing Oil for a few years and buy it at Napa. It exceeds the Indmar specs (at least for my motor). I also use the Napa Gold 1089 filter. It's really a Wix filter on the inside and far superior to a Fram or Penzoil filter.

I've heard that if you have a stuck filter, you can hammer a phillips screw driver though the housing and crank it off that way. I've bent up a few with the oil filter wrench myself.

1.) How cold does it get there and does your storage ever lose power? It would be a very expensive mistake if your block froze.

2.)www.indmar.com and poke around for the manual download.

3.) That looks like the fuel filter from the picture. It should have a flow arrow on it.

4.) NO! Follow the intake line from the bottom of the boat up to the engine. This is where your impeller is. Unfortunately, because your motor is mounted backwards, you can't get there from here. ;)

1. No it won't loose power. And it is big enough that it would take a long time to cool down to freeze level. It is a huge wharehouse type room that a few familes uses for all our boats, toys, etc.

So the question still stands do I need to drain the water out, fogged the engine and all that?

2. Thanks I will check Indmar for a pdf

3. I don't see any arrows but I will take another look. I have never changed a fuel filter so I am not sure what too look for.

4. Hmm I was hoping that was the raw water impeller with the "Vortec" sticker on it. I wonder what that is? I will trace the intake line from the hull. I assume it is down lower, attached to the flywheel belt.

--

Thanks for the oil and filter recommendations. I will pick those up at the store. I tried to loosen the filter by hand, but is on there really good. I am sure the service center cranks them on with a wrench. Hopefully a strap wrench will fit on there.

---

Oh ya did I forget to mention that these Malibu's really ROCK?? We have owned them all, Mastercraft, Sea Ray, Bayliner, etc. and nothing has been better than the Malibu. The fuel economy is much better, reliable, seats super comfortable, ballast great, wake amazing and quality top notch!!

boat2223.jpg>

Edited by Air Tahoe

The housing with the Vortec sticker on it contains your thermostat. You should find your raw water pump is a smallish cylindrical object sticking out of the front (sorry, back) of your engine. Getting the cover off and the impeller out is not easy on a V-drive.

The housing with the Vortec sticker on it contains your thermostat. You should find your raw water pump is a smallish cylindrical object sticking out of the front (sorry, back) of your engine. Getting the cover off and the impeller out is not easy on a V-drive.

Thanks that helps. It was easy on inboard corvette engine, but I guess the v-drive makes it a challenge.

Many thanks for answering my questions. I ordered a Pela 6000 from Overton's and it should arrive in a day or two. Today I went to Napa and was asking about Amsoil. John told me they carry some more common weights, but he would have to order me a case of 15W40 + shipping. Alternatively, he recommended a synthetic oil by Royal Purple - apparently they are big into racing oils. He keeps the RP in stock, so combined with a Napa 1069 filter I got out for less than $55.00 for 6 quarts. Yahoo.gif Does anyone have any experience or comments (good or bad) about Royal Purple products? Innocent.gif

• 2 weeks later...