Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change - the bad, and the good...

Ok, I have a bone to pick with Malibu. I did my first at-home oil change on my '05 VLX today, and what a PITA. I'm giving them a raspberry for at-home oil change mechanics.

I removed the side panels beside the engine (very cool feature), unhooked the engine drain hose, laid it in the bilge... and it was a good 10 inches too short to make it out the hole in back. WTH?

So, I took off into town in Friday rush-hour traffic to my dealer, to pick up an oil-change vacuum pump. Here's the Cherry award. My dealer, Central TX Watersports sold me a Tempo Oil Boy oil extractor at a KILLER discount... Ok, they gave it to me in fact, not only for my trouble, but as thanks for driving one of their boats at last week's Girl's Day Out event. Man, they rock... Rockon.gif

Anyway, this thing sucked the oil out like there's no tomorrow, great product. BUT, for reasons beyond me, Malibu didn't install a remote oil-filter on the VLX, so after struggling to get the filter off down in the bilge, I spilled oil everwhere, getting it on the carpet and seats as well. I tried using the plastic-bag-over-the-filter trick too, to little success. Mad.gif

I'm not the skinniest or smallest guy around, so it's not that easy for me to get way down there in the bilge to get the oil filter out.

I finally pulled it off, got the seats cleaned, and kinda got the carpet clean. I'll need to figure out how to get the rest of the oil out of the carpet though.

I love my Malibu, but there are few things I'd improve if given the chance! My Supra had a remote oil filter, and it was SO easy to change.

The good thing is I changed my oil for about $15, pennies compared to having it done at the dealer, and I have the Oil Boy now which will make it easier to change my tranny and v-drive oil as well.

Ok, rant over. Back to loving my 'Bu. Yahoo.gif

On my old VLX & my present LSV, the drain hose will reach out through

the drain hole up by the V-drive (the one with the T handle. Will yours

not reach that one ?

Dosn't matter now. You have the oil boy. You only need to do it once or twice a year so suck it up (so to speak) Biggrin.gif

I agree, that a remote oil filter would be SWEET!

I'm a "full figured" guy too and I must have been a sight to see...literally standing on my head swearing inside the rear comp trying to get the filter off the first time. Boy was it stuck! They must not have lubed the gasket when assembling.

Pat

Edited by Faceplant409

I've thought before what I must look like upside down with my legs flailing up in the air when I am changing the oil filter.

My DD friends are all too happy to give me grief and show me how easy and accesible their oil filters are.

boomer you are not the only one,...the same thing hapened to three times in a row,a remote oil filter should be added to the option list.

I installed one on my previous mastercraft.as some might know by now i run a small wakeboarding school but with 500 to 600 hours a year i am doing alot of oil changes....with the remote oil filter it is a clean and easy job.

Boomer,

Did you go try to feed it through the rear transom hole or the drain plug under the V-drive? It should reach throught the V-drive drain. They use the same length hose on all of the V-drives.

On my last oil change, the dealer put the filter on so tight (it looked like they used a wrench) that we alomost had to cut it off. We dented it up pretty badly. From now on, I'm doing it myself.

BTW, why is Indmar using the worlds smallest oil filter? The Fram PH30 (Pennzoil equiv) is tiny.......The Fram PH 13 is the same filter just taller, and it has more filtering media. WTF?

BTW, You should be happy you have an 05 with the ballast in the floor, try doing an oil change with the rear ballast hard side tanks :lol:

Man you guys seriously complain too much Tongue.gif , that oil filter is not that hard to get to, and a couple of well placed pigs plankets take care of that oil. If you want to see hard, go find an older PCM vdrive engine with about 50 hoses running right under the oil filter, now that gets messy.

Chris

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. I usually dont but I didnt feel like driving to the dealer.

We went out for an evening run. When we backed it in the garage I had the kids wipe it down. While they were doing that I dropped the drain hose through the plug by the v drive. Rolled under on a creeper, took of the cap and let it drain. It drained well because it was warm from use. I let it sit like that over night. The next morning I put the drain tube away, pulled the filter, installed a new one, and filled it with oil. Total time in about 1/2-3/4 hours. I also made sure to lube the filter gasket so that it will be just as easy next time.

I think I will do it more often now. I dont like to go to the dealer any more than to winterize and preseason prep. Mid season I would rather just get it done myself.

:Doh: I didn't try to see if the drain hose would reach the T-handle by the V-drive, I've always went out the back in the past.

Sorta moot now, the oil boy rocks, sucks the oil out like there's no tomorrow. I wish it was a little bigger though, it won't hold all the oil in the sump in one try.

I might try installing a remote-oil filter kit. I change my own oil pretty much every time except the initial dealer check, so it would come in handy.

Speaking of ballast in the floor, after being back there doing this I think you could easily put far more than 75 lbs in there, as the sticker warns, especially if it was spread around evenly. It felt pretty sold stepping in there, although I did work to keep my feet near the sides where the support is. I think an additional 200 lb. sack or so on each side would be no problem at all.

The VLX though just doesn't need much extra weight in back, especially using the wedge. If you want to go above stock having the extra weight near the center and front would seemingly benefit more.

Wish I could have been there to see you do your oil change boomer. I would have even payed for the Beer.gif to see that show. I know when I change my oil filter, I'll be standing on my head with my feet flopping around in the air. :lol:

So how exactly does a remote oil filter work? Is there some sort of adapter that mounts to the existing filter location for hoses to go to the remote mount? If thats all it is, then this mod would be a no-brainer....

Anyone know more about how they work? Maybe a quick diagram of the connections involved?

Thanks!

JZ

WakeandSnow,

They are easy to install and inexpensive, you screw in a plate that has two female fittings built in where your oil filter goes, then you install a oil filter holder somewhere in the engine where is easy to get to and install two hoses in between, they sell all type and shape of plate mounts for the new filter holder so you can pretty much pick your place to put it. My buddy's 04 Sanger came with a Black Scorpion engine, it has a remote oil filter from the factory.

Remote Oil Filter Kit

can you use synthetic oil in a boat?  And also at what interval should you change your oil 20 hrs 50 hrs 100hrs 200hrs?

Per Indmar every 50hrs Biggrin.gif

Indmar also says to wait until after the frist 100 hours to use synthetic oil, so that the rings are properly set. At least that's what they said a few years ago...

Chris

WakeandSnow, 

They are easy to install and inexpensive, you screw in a plate that has two female fittings built in where your oil filter goes, then you install a oil filter holder somewhere in the engine where is easy to get to and install two hoses in between, they sell all type and shape of plate mounts for the new filter holder so you can pretty much pick your place to put it. My buddy's 04 Sanger came with a Black Scorpion engine, it has a remote oil filter from the factory. 

Remote Oil Filter Kit

Oz,

Thanks for the info. This definitely sounds like a no-brainer for us V-drive folks... I suppose that the only other requirement would be to adjust the oil added to account for the lenght of the hoses and fittings....

So, who's going to make this mod first? :)

JZ

The only benifit to synthetic that I see is the longer intervals between oil changes. Indmar says to do it at 50 hours regardless, so I don't see any benifit in using it.

Boomer,

Just an idea, albeit a crazy one,...but maybe you should consider letting the dealer, or anyone else doing it next time? I know in my case its worth the saved anguish. (in fact I'd pay twice as much as they regularly charge)

Thanks for reminding me why I don't change my own oil anymore... :lol:

I agree 04, I don't mind dropping my boat off and picking it up a day later with it done.

Oil $10

Filter $5

Time wasted cussing and swearing, spilling @#$# all over your boat... Priceless

Boomer,

Just an idea, albeit a crazy one,...but maybe you should consider letting the dealer, or anyone else doing it next time? I know in my case its worth the saved anguish. (in fact I'd pay twice as much as they regularly charge)

Thanks for reminding me why I don't change my own oil anymore... :lol:

I agree 04, I don't mind dropping my boat off and picking it up a day later with it done.

Oil $10

Filter $5

Time wasted cussing and swearing, spilling @#$# all over your boat... Priceless

Well having a DD and listening you all you VD guys complaining about service ...no that is priceless Tease2.gif