Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Run Dry Impellers

Has anyone used the Globe "Run Dry" impeller on their boat?? I have had extensive dialog with their Marine Sales manager and they warranty a 15 minute run dry period and that their product lasts around 3x longer than the standard impeller. With my VLX, that would be great, as it takes (almost) pulling the engine to get to the raw water pump so I can change the impeller. The Globe impeller to fit my boat (and any Indmar engine, I am told), is Globe #100J. They are comparably priced to the Johnson replacement impellers. I have a Globe 100J in the mail to me so I will see if it fits and how it works in a few weeks (but, of course, I have to pull the engine to get to the pump) :). Here's a link to Globe. http://www.globecomposite.com/nav.php?products_impeller

You can buy the impeller at http://www.defender.com. However, the 100J is not listed on their website - you have to call the 800 number and get them to order that model from Globe. That impeller will fit all Malibu boat raw water pumps. Will advise you when I get this baby installed and how it works.....if I can go to changing my impeller every third year, that would rock Clap.gif

I certainly wouldn’t run my engine w/o out water so being able to run it out of water for 15 minuets doesn’t interest me. Most replace the standard impellers every year but in reality, I think you could get two seasons in before replacement is really necessary.

My Globe impeller will not be here until 9/1 (per UPS tracking), and I will not be able to even attempt to install it for another few weeks. I am not even sure if I want to commit the time to trying to do it myself, and I am a pretty handy guy. There is no way I can gain access to my impeller without mirrors (clever guys those Malibu engineers - they hid it behind the muffler in my VLX, making it practically inaccesable Cry.gif I do not run my boat out of the water, but if I can reduce impeller change out to once every 3+ years, it would reduce the most labor intensive item I have on my boat substantially Love.gif

Alot has to do with how many hours you put on a season.

Exactly - ya M'dude, do you even have 20 hours on the boat this year? Crazy.gif

Yes I do acutally and more to come now the school is back in sesson. Tongue.gif

My Globe impeller will not be here until 9/1 (per UPS tracking), and I will not be able to even attempt to install it for another few weeks. I am not even sure if I want to commit the time to trying to do it myself, and I am a pretty handy guy. There is no way I can gain access to my impeller without mirrors (clever guys those Malibu engineers - they hid it behind the muffler in my VLX, making it practically inaccesable  Cry.gif I do not run my boat out of the water, but if I can reduce impeller change out to once every 3+ years, it would reduce the most labor intensive item I have on my boat substantially  Love.gif

Give us a report on how it preforms.

I certainly wouldn’t run my engine w/o out water so being able to run it out of water for 15 minuets doesn’t interest me.

That's not why I want it. I use a fake-a-lake when I run mine. I am just interested in getting some relief from having to open up that sea water pump every year and pry out what appears to be a perfectly good impeller.

Why do it every year? I changed the impeller this year in my 03 Sporty. It had 140 hours/2 seasons and looked new. I also changed the impeller in my 88 Skier. It had about 450 hours and 7 seasons. It had one torn fin. Every year seems like too much. Probably every 3 years is ok.

There's no way I'm going to change the impeller every year regardless of what the book says. If your season is as long as mine the impeller lasts much longer. (doesn't sit up much)

Last year I traded my '92 Mastercraft PS 205, with the original impeller. I removed it once about 3-4 years ago, looked good, so put it back in.

Maybe every other year at the most for me.

I spent over an hour about a month ago just trying to gain access to my raw water pump in my VLX. I gave up. I could not even figure out if the 4 screws in the access plate were Phillips or not. I finally got a mirror back there to be able to see. After getting the access plate off of the Johnson pump, you have to extract the old impeller, then insert the new impeller (with the fins twisted correctly - or it may not have suction). Then you have to fit the plate back on (don't forget the gasket or O ring inside), get all that lined up using a mirror while lying on top of your engine face down...and get the screws back in without stripping them Crazy.gif

When I get my new Globe "3 year run dry" impeller, I may just take it to my dealer and have them do it since I have some warranty work still left to do. This is the reason I am so interested in this heavy duty impeller....I will just log it as a maintenance item for the fall 0f 2008 after this ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received my Globe "run dry" impeller in the mail. It's identical to the Johnson replacment impeller (at least visually). The only difference I can see is the color...it's blue. Sort of left me unfulfilled... Crazy.gif The material feels a tiny bit less flexible than the rubber version. I have decided to have the dealer change it.....it would take me the better part of a day. Besides, I have a long punch list of warranty items - ski pylon stuck, bilge pump will not come on automatically, replace collapsing floor, etc. Cry.gif

..., bilge pump will not come on automatically, ...

i just had the same problem with mine. it was because the wire connection had corroded. it was simple simple plastic connection (like in a car). it amazes me that they do NOT use more marine grade connectors and stainless steel in these boats...

• 1 year later...

Bump.gif

While looking for something else I came across this thread. Thought I would bump it as the Run Dry Impellers have been asked about a few times recently. So has anyone purchased and run with the Run Dry? First hand experience to relate?

:)

I don't know what the original poster is talking about, I can swap out the impeller in about 10 minutes. You just have to remove the 1 phillips head machine bolt that holds the back divider in place.

Admittedly it is no where near as easy as the PCM with auto tensioning belts. (Why isn't Indmar/Malibu running a serpentine belt?) On the SAN it literally took 5 minutes to remove and replace the impeller, three 10mm bolts and it was right on top of the motor.

The only consistent thing I've ever heard about the Globe run-drys (in Johnson pumps) is that engine cooling at idle is impaired.

Edited by Big Mac

Are the newer VLX's that much different than my '98? I can have the raw water pump out of that thing in under 15 minutes. The impeller in probably 5 minutes. (I am not being facetious I am truly curious)........

Are the newer VLX's that much different than my '98? I can have the raw water pump out of that thing in under 15 minutes. The impeller in probably 5 minutes. (I am not being facetious I am truly curious)........

It would be easy on my 04 VLX if it wasn't for the big @ss silent ride muffler mounted right in the way. turns a simple 15min Job into a contorted 30 + min knuckle buster.

I also remove the engine hatch.

Agreed, I need to do this & my thought was that if I have to play the contortionist, I should try to keep it to a minimum. I'd like to hear an update from Gordo & anyone else that's using this product.

The easy answer to avoid all the fuss and muss with mirrors, etc is a direct drive Tongue.gifTease.gif

My impeller swap took 5 minutes this spring ;)

Agreed, I need to do this & my thought was that if I have to play the contortionist, I should try to keep it to a minimum. I'd like to hear an update from Gordo & anyone else that's using this product.

Mine is going great with 200 engine hours and 3 years on the current Globe impeller. I just ordered another one from defender.com and will probably change it out sometime this season. They are a few bucks more (literally) than the standard impellers but are made from a much tougher materal. I am sold on them. My boat takes Globe Model 100J, which defender carries but does not show on their web site.

The only consistent thing I've ever heard about the Globe run-drys (in Johnson pumps) is that engine cooling at idle is impaired.

Just scrolled up and saw this - I have never experienced a problem. The Globe impeller looks identical to the Johnson replacement - when you place them on top of each other. But the Globe is "blue" in color vs the black rubber. IMO, if you are going to change your impeller, use a Globe, especially if you have a V-drive, like I do. It takes me at least an hour to change mine out, not counting the massage therapist I have to use afterwards to get all the kinks out from when I attempt to get my body into the side compartment so I can get to the #$%@ thing.