Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED wiring

Tedro

Yes. You should be able to find numerous ground connections under the dash to use. And then you will need to supply power to the switch (if it's not there already). And don't forget an inline fuse.

Yes. You should be able to find numerous ground connections under the dash to use. And then you will need to supply power to the switch (if it's not there already). And don't forget an inline fuse.

Any particular inline fuse type/size?

I'm doing a project this weekend. I'm just going to run off the current interior circuit and fuse. Just run it in series after the fuse. I read that the Malibu stock circuit can hold like 10amps. The set up from Malibu is only using about 3-4amps depending on what lighting you have. So, you can add a lot of other LEDs before coming close to the 10amp limit. If the circuit is not 10amps, it might be 8 but you can still add a LOT of LEDs without worrying. Plus, the swith and dimmers are already built in. No problem.

If I've got this wrong someone tell me because I'm drilling holes this weekend.

If you pull the power from the dash switch it is already fused via the circuit breakers. Just make sure you select an approperate breaker/switch location (aka don't wire your LED's on the 30 amp breaker).

Yea, I would expect there to be circuit breaker protected power at the switch already. You'll just have to tap into that & a ground & be good to go.

If you have to run your own power, then just use a common marine fuse holder of some kind.

When I bought my boat, the previous owner had already run the interior LEDs. Their on their own switch. It's a factory Accessory switch, but separate from the factory interior lights. This has proven to be a good thing, because there are times when you need real light to find or read something. And other times when you just want to turn the mood lighting on.

I installed the transom LEDs in the back of the boat. I tapped into the wiring for the interior LEDs so all the LEDs come on at the same time. At the time I added all the LED amperage's up & was still no where near close to the max for the switch or wiring.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Perfect post as I am adding a 10 LED package to the interior of my 05 LXI.

I have three pre-installed factory "aux" on-off switches that are not used. Are these appropriate for lighting?

I will re post about the quality of the led package i purchd.

Thanks!

Perfect post as I am adding a 10 LED package to the interior of my 05 LXI.

I have three pre-installed factory "aux" on-off switches that are not used. Are these appropriate for lighting?

I will re post about the quality of the led package i purchd.

Thanks!

Not a problem with the aux switches, factory has mine wired with 10 amp breakers.. I'm using one for my underwater LED's and another to turn on my tower amp.