Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gearing Up For a Tower Install

Jesse

My friend that I ski with purchased a Samson Sports tower a few weeks ago and decided he will try the install himself with my help.

The tower will be installed on a MasterCrap 205 so I wasn't sure where to make this post since it doesn't really fall under the Malibu categories.

I am a bit nervous about the two of us installing. He spoke with the owner of the company a few times and we have seen pictures of the tower installed on the 205, but I am not sure about some of the issues.

Like how hard is it to access the area to epoxy the fiberglass reinforcement plates under the front mounts? I suppose the area is accessible through the lift up seat cushions, but to attach/secure the plates while the epoxy sets will have to be done blindly because you would not be able to see up in that area and have your arm in there as well. I just hope we get those plates in the correct position.

I guess I am prematurely worried about something I haven't seen yet (neither of us has ever done a tower install). I was told that the rest of it comes with great templates and fixtures that hold the tower in place while drilling the mounting holes. The reinforcement plates are customed formed to fit the hull of a 205.

Maybe we do this process.

1. Set the tower in place

2. Mark the drill holes.

3. Drill the holes.

4. One of us holds the backing plate in position and the other one marks the backing plates unless they are already pre drilled - that would be sweet.

5. Apply the epoxy to the plates and temporarily bolt down the plates until the epoxy sets.

6. Attach the tower base.

There are a couple pictures at the bottom of the page of a 205 mounted tower.

MasterCrap 205

If you guys have some other ideas please let me know.

Edited by Jesse

It sounds like you have a good plan. I have not seen a tower where the plates were epoxyed, just where the bolts hold them in place, but you should be okay. The real key is just take it slow and if you have a question call Samson or get online for help.

Apply the epoxy to the plates

Have not heard of this before, I have a rubber pad between the foot and the boat and between the backing plate and the boat.

Maybe we do this process.

2. Mark the drill holes.

3. Drill the holes.

4. One of us holds the backing plate in position and the other one marks the backing plates unless they are already pre drilled - that would be sweet.

5. Apply the epoxy to the plates and temporarily bolt down the plates until the epoxy sets.

6. Attach the tower base.

I think you missed a couple steps that I did when I installed my tower

2. measure each footing from 5 different reference points

3. mark the holes

4. measure each footing from 5 different reference points

5. Go into the house and sit down for a while with a nice drink (my case it was Cherry Pepsi - I'm not a drinker, but even if I were I would not suggest adult beverages at this time).

6. Set the tower in place

7. measure each footing from 5 different reference points

8. remove tower from boat

9. measure each footing from 5 different reference points

10. Drill first hole.

11. wipe all the sweat from your face, it's starting to drip all over the place.

12. measure each footing from 5 different reference points

13. realize that you've already drilled one hole with no problem and relax a bit.

14. drill remaining holes.

15. One of us holds the backing plate in position and the other one marks the backing plates unless they are already pre drilled - that would be sweet.

16. Apply the epoxy to the plates and temporarily bolt down the plates until the epoxy sets.

17. Attach the tower base.

Oh, did I mention that you may want to measure each footing from 5 different reference points?

Not sure about the epoxy either - I didn't do this, and my backing plates were pre-drilled.

also, put down some masking tape where the footings will go - it helps prevent chipping, and make sure you us a Unibit - cuts like butter.

dang - I forgot to mention that you may want to take more than one measurement.

Since I haven't installed a tower I knew I would leave out some vital steps. :)

How many times can repeat step #5?

I don't drink either, but I have no objections to several glasses of diet soda with maybe a few sandwiches to calm my nerves.