Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monster Tower

Pondking

Looking to buy a new tower for SLXi. Monster tower seems fair price and looks pretty good. Anyone have one or have any experience with one.

It's a great tower & the company has great customer service. With that said & for the price, I'd seriously consider the Titan Series 1. It's an OEM tower for Malibu, built specifically for your boat (rather than being universal) & is available in custom colors. With the cost of the Monster at $1195 now, I personally would go with the Titan.

You can check with Brian @ IdahoWaterSports to see if he still has any Titan 1s left. Last year they had a bunch of them and were selling them for a pretty good price IIRC.

Ditto on what has been said above. I've got the Titan I and works great for me. Scott and crew over there have been great to deal with. The Titan I is currently running in the $1,300 range fyi

I've got a Monster on my boat and I'd put another on in a minute. If you're getting a new boat, maybe the Titan is a good choice. I already had a cover and bimini for my boat. Only the Monster Tower allowed me to continue using my existing tops. Otherwise, a hidden cost of the tower would be ~$400 for a new bimini and way more than that for a new custom cover.

I've got a Monster on my boat and I'd put another on in a minute.  If you're getting a new boat, maybe the Titan is a good choice.  I already had a cover and bimini for my boat.  Only the Monster Tower allowed me to continue using my existing tops.  Otherwise, a hidden cost of the tower would be ~$400 for a new bimini and way more than that for a new custom cover.

A buddie of mine converted his old ski biminy to fit w/ his Titan and looks sharp, but I certainly understand your point as well. Did you get a complimentry Monster calender Surprised.gif

I've really been debating Monster vs. Titan myself. I have two things pushing me toward Monster. First is I read several reports that with the Titan, on some boats you can't open up the walk thru window all the way. Can anybody vouch for a Titan on a SS VLX? Not that I do a lot of driving with the walk thru open, but it will be a pain to move around while out floating. Second, and more important to me, I don't really like the way the Titan folds down on top of the windshield. I occasionally trailer with a cover on and would have to protect the tower from bouncing around on the glass under the cover. Also from the pics I've seen, due to the curve of the front wishbone, I'm not sure it will fit under my 7' garage door when folded down. That is a must for me. Again I'd have to see one on a SS VLX and measure it. $1300 is too much to spend to be too tall by an inch. The Monster folded down definitely won't be an issue. Oh, I forgot about reason number 3 - the calendar. So if anyone has a Titan I/II on a Sunsetter VLX, please contact me so I can figure out these issues. I know it has the plus of being the Malibu oem tower and is perhaps slightly more rigid, but I've never heard anyone complain about a Monster.

I've really been debating Monster vs. Titan myself.  I have two things pushing me toward Monster.  First is I read several reports that with the Titan, on some boats you can't open up the walk thru window all the way.  Can anybody vouch for a Titan on a SS VLX?  Not that I do a lot of driving with the walk thru open, but it will be a pain to move around while out floating.  Second, and more important to me, I don't really like the way the Titan folds down on top of the windshield.  I occasionally trailer with a cover on and would have to protect the tower from bouncing around on the glass under the cover.  Also from the pics I've seen, due to the curve of the front wishbone, I'm not sure it will fit under my 7' garage door when folded down.  That is a must for me.  Again I'd have to see one on a SS VLX and measure it.  $1300 is too much to spend to be too tall by an inch.  The Monster folded down definitely won't be an issue.  Oh, I forgot about reason number 3 - the calendar.  So if anyone has a Titan I/II on a Sunsetter VLX, please contact me so I can figure out these issues.  I know it has the plus of being the Malibu oem tower and is perhaps slightly more rigid, but I've never heard anyone complain about a Monster.

I don't know about the windshield issue, but regardless of what tower you go with you really shouldn't tow with the tower broken down, always tow with it fully assembled, it's at its strongest & most rigid that way.

I've really been debating Monster vs. Titan myself.  I have two things pushing me toward Monster.  First is I read several reports that with the Titan, on some boats you can't open up the walk thru window all the way.  Can anybody vouch for a Titan on a SS VLX?  Not that I do a lot of driving with the walk thru open, but it will be a pain to move around while out floating.  Second, and more important to me, I don't really like the way the Titan folds down on top of the windshield.  I occasionally trailer with a cover on and would have to protect the tower from bouncing around on the glass under the cover.  Also from the pics I've seen, due to the curve of the front wishbone, I'm not sure it will fit under my 7' garage door when folded down.  That is a must for me.  Again I'd have to see one on a SS VLX and measure it.  $1300 is too much to spend to be too tall by an inch.  The Monster folded down definitely won't be an issue.  Oh, I forgot about reason number 3 - the calendar.  So if anyone has a Titan I/II on a Sunsetter VLX, please contact me so I can figure out these issues.  I know it has the plus of being the Malibu oem tower and is perhaps slightly more rigid, but I've never heard anyone complain about a Monster.

The tower can be installed in the correct location to allow for the window to open unimpeaded. Mine was just put on just a bit to far back, although it doesn't bother since I just put a piece of black felt and rest the window on it. I don't ever drive around w/ the window open either.

The tower shouldn't rest on your windshield anyway, Titan makes a prop rod to support both parts of the tower. I could measure mine to give you some idea although it's not a VLX. Do not ever tow w/ the tower laid down, have the cover converted with zippers or velcro to allow it to go around the tower feet mounts.

You can email Titan as well [email protected].

Well, I have to vote for a Monster. For some reason I have an extreme aversion to the Titan-I tower. If it was the only tower available on new Malibu's I would never have bought one.

No offense intented to anyone who owns one. I know they are super solid, but very homely to my eyes. I do think the Titan-3 looks great though.

I like the monster too. A friend of mine took off his old tuna tower and went with the Monster, had it powder coated to match the boat, on his 01 VLX. Its a super solid tower. Matter of fact, he pulls on the boat more than any rider I have driven for and the thing is solid. I also think it looks better. Esp. if you add some nice speakers.

Vette-ski......another benefit is it will fold down to inside the boat so you can trailer with your cover on with no problems.

I vote for the Monster. We added ours last year and have had no problem with it. Several of us at the lake have them on various Malibu's . If you look at the web site pics with the four boats together, those are ours.

We also purchased the racks, bimini, and the mirror arm. The racks and mirror arm have quick release which make it easy to remove for both storage and theft resistant. Just installed the mirror arm and love it. The passenger that gets to sit in the middle now doesn't have the wind blowing down their neck.

Edited by summergirl
I vote for the Monster. We added ours last year and have had no problem with it. Several of us at the lake have them on various Malibu's . If you look at the web site pics with the four boats together, those are ours.

We also purchased the racks, bimini, and the mirror arm. The racks and mirror arm have quick release which make it easy to remove for both storage and theft resistant. Just installed the mirror arm and love it. The passenger that gets to sit in the middle now doesn't have the wind blowing down their neck.

Summergirl - Monster's mirror arm looks sweet! I have their racks and love them...now I need to order the mirror arm. Don't know how I missed it when I ordered my racks a few months ago.

If you guys like your mirror arm, just wait. I did some testing for Monster and they're going to be offering an adapter for the Cipa Extreme. I had to buy the Extreme separately (from Champion Shooters - $20 cheaper than Overtons) and tested the adapter. It's bad @$$. One of the guys in my ski club saw it and wanted to order. The Monster guys will have to tell you about availability, but get one of these. They said Cipa wasn't being too good to work with regarding a total package from Monster (adapter and mirror), but everybody that's driven my boat with the new mirror LOVES it.

If you guys like your mirror arm, just wait.  I did some testing for Monster and they're going to be offering an adapter for the Cipa Extreme.  I had to buy the Extreme separately (from Champion Shooters - $20 cheaper than Overtons) and tested the adapter.  It's bad @$$.  One of the guys in my ski club saw it and wanted to order.  The Monster guys will have to tell you about availability, but get one of these.  They said Cipa wasn't being too good to work with regarding a total package from Monster (adapter and mirror), but everybody that's driven my boat with the new mirror LOVES it.

Bill - Can you post a close up of the set-up?

Dang, those pics are on my pc at home. I'll try to remember to post them late tonight. My ski club is putting on a show in a small town about 30 minutes away tonight, so I won't have time to do it when I get home from work. I'll try to remember. If I don't, REMIND ME - I forget easily. Biggrin.gif

It's a miracle.....I remembered all on my own!!

The pics are in my gallery. I couldn't figure out how to include them in my post and I want to go to bed. Enjoy.