Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked Gelcoat

I have a 2008 23 LSV with less than 5 hours on it. I pulled it out of the water last week and noticed several cracks in the gelcoat on the drivers side wher the tower mounts to the boat. I have never put any load on the tower. We noticed this after about 1 hour on the river in calm conditions. Any guess why this would do this. Also does anybody know what is underneath the mount. I have an illussion XS tower with only 4 lights mounted to it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

1. Mount to loose?

2. Gelcoat sprayed too thick?

3. structural damage underneath mount?

This is not an uncommon issue. Do a search on this site and you will find several threads concerning this.

There is no real concern as to the integrity of your boat, but it is something that should be repaired under warranty. Talk with your dealer about it.

I've talked to a man who repairs these problems which are quite common. Besides the gel coat being too thick, that is the effect. The cause is structural in which the mount that the tower attaches too is too weak or it is not designed correctly yet. Just imagine if the tower was actually loaded from left to right what damage that will have caused. Repairing the gel coat is the easy way out and most dealerships don't want to contact Malibu for this expensive repair. Good Luck!

It is a warranty item that they have no problem repairing. I have seen a few boats come through that have had the tower base loose. Which has caused the cracking.

I've talked to a man who repairs these problems which are quite common. Besides the gel coat being too thick, that is the effect. The cause is structural in which the mount that the tower attaches too is too weak or it is not designed correctly yet. Just imagine if the tower was actually loaded from left to right what damage that will have caused. Repairing the gel coat is the easy way out and most dealerships don't want to contact Malibu for this expensive repair. Good Luck!

:unsure: Huh?

It is covered under warranty for 2 years. Your dealer will take care of you.

Call your dealer first, take some pictures and have it reported ASAP. Enjoy the summer and take it in at the end of the season, it will be covered under warranty :)