Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Nylock stuck!! Please Help!

Over the weekend, we bottomed out in my Sunsetter and bent the prop. I went ahead and bought a new one because we are planning on leaving in about 10 hours to go to Canyon Lake.

Went to put the new prop on tonight and ran into problems. Old nylock came off without any problems. Pulled the prop off, everything went smooth. Got the new prop on and lined up and proceeded to put a new nylock on. It threaded on fine by hand, but as soon as the nylon insert hit thread the nut binded up. I cant thread it any further on and I can't break it loose. I've tried everything I can think and I'm officially out of ideas. I know the nut isnt cross threaded, all I can think of is that the threads were a little chewed up on the shaft and thats whats keeping me from getting the boat back in the water.

I can get a die and rethread the shaft, but I need ideas on how to get this nut off without damaging the shaft at all.

Thanks in advance.

I sure hope you didn't "upgrade" to a stainless nylok nut on your stainless drive shaft, did you?

care to elaborate more on that? what's bad about a stainless nylock

I sure hope you didn't "upgrade" to a stainless nylok nut on your stainless drive shaft, did you?

Stainless on stainless will gall with out use of never seize.

So then what nylock should be used? What material is it made out of?

So then what nylock should be used? What material is it made out of?

The stock prop nuts are brass ny locks. Brass will typically not gall to stainless.

Bingo!

So are they available at say your local HD? or would they be purchased from our dealer?

Bingo!

So are they available at say your local HD? or would they be purchased from our dealer?

Probably not your HD type store. I struggle to find stainless screws, let alone Brass Nylock Nuts. Maybe an old fastener store. I havent had much luck unless I order stuff from Fastenal.

Get your nuts at skidim.com, pick up a couple of extra keys and cotter pins while you're there...or your dealer.

Does skidim ship to CanCan?

We bottomed out the boat in the soft sandy ramp last fall & dinged the prop up a bit. So I had it reworked over the winter. Somehow I misplaced the nut & key. So I called the dealer & picked up another..... $38?!?

Anyway, after I picked my jaw up off the floor, I installed the "new" prop & went to tighten down the brass nylock nut. I got like two turns on the nylon before it pressed all the way out of the brass.

Wanna see how strong I am? :Doh:

nylock.jpg

Luckily I found the old nut. There is considerably more brass in front of the nylon insert than this one had.

I took it back to the dealer & suggested they check their parts bin in case there were any more of these high quality parts in it. They gave me a couple of Babes products in exchange.

Got it fixed, just got back from the Lake.... Yahoo.gif

Took the boat to a mechanic first thing in the morning and yes I did use a stainless nut and yes it galled..ended up having to cut the nut in half with a grinder, buy a dye and re-thread the shaft. Went back with the zinc nylock with never seize and it went on with no problem....buddy works for Fastenal and he got me 5 zinc nylocks.