Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with decals

rugger

Has anyone applied or reapplied decals that were once taken off?

I'm in the midst of polishing my boat extensively to get some of the oxidation off (wetsanding then polishing.) I have fairly new decals on the sides, but you can see some of the marks from the old style stickers behind it. I'd like to remove these and westand/polish behind them but don't want to buy new decals.

I have the large black and chrome drip mold decals.

I hate to say this but you won't get it all off. Polishing will help but it will not eliminate oxidation. I replaced my decals 2 years ago and scrubbed like crazy for a week before I gave up. The good this is that the sun has to hit it just right to really be noticable. Someone who doesn't know doesn't notice so I just don't tell them. My Bu is a 99 model so the oxidation may be much worse than your.

I hate to say this but you won't get it all off. Polishing will help but it will not eliminate oxidation. I replaced my decals 2 years ago and scrubbed like crazy for a week before I gave up. The good this is that the sun has to hit it just right to really be noticable. Someone who doesn't know doesn't notice so I just don't tell them. My Bu is a 99 model so the oxidation may be much worse than your.

I know I won't get it all off. But I got it to improve a lot on the back so I want to try the same thing on the sides. I don't need it to be perfect. Thanks for the input... I do appreciate it.

Plus1.gif

you may not get it all off, We had the dealer take the 05 decals off and try and get the boat looking like it never had it before they installed the 06 decals. They did a Great job but couldnt get it like new, you can only tell if you really get down there and look though.

To your question, I don't think there will be any way possible to re-use your decals. You'll never get the sticker's off all in one piece. In fact they will be in several hundred pieces when you are done. The large drip mold letters will come off in one piece, but if I remember right if you bend them at all they look like crap in a hurry. Hard to peel them off without bending. You might have some success with the drip molds if you are very careful. Try sliding dental floss or fishing line behind them and using the floss like a saw. You'll probably have to come up with a new adhesive to re-apply.

I do have the drip molds. I'll bet your right about them getting messed up if they bend too much -- so I guess the hard part would be getting em off without marring them. I would think a basic 3M adhesive spray would work. Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I may just decide not to do it.

In case anyone cares for future projects...

I tried again and the chrome drip mold decals popped right off. The secret, I think, is to do it in the morning when the decals are cooler and stiffer. I used a plastic putty knife to lift a corner, then peeled off by hand. No damage.

Also, as for the old decal marks I was trying to get rid of... You're right they won't disappear with a polisher, but you can wet sand them out. You can wet sand the panel until the surrounding gel blends BEFORE polishing, then polish and wax and they'll be gone forever. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it. Mine was REALLY bad, otherwise I wouldn't have done it because it does take a lot of time.

Good thing I spent time getting them off without damaging them. Now if only I would have researched adhesive a little more.... they might not have come off the first time out. ha ha NOBODY use 3M's basic adhesive spray for this. whoops. Already had it in my garage and figured it would work. Guess I'll be buying new decals again. martinarcher -- I agree with you. Wish I could buy the classic decals.

Although at least the gel coat came out sweet after wetsanding and polish. Anyone with an old boat follow 95echelon's (?) polishing recipe that he posted. It takes time but makes even a 20 year boat look new. Seriously.

Edited by rugger