Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Install Question

So I replaced the gauge in the response for perfect pass (direct replacement-1 line with analog tach). When taking out the broken gauge I noticed two 3 wire harnesses. 1 for the main harness, 1 that says rpm sensor to module, and the other says rpm sensor. The rpm sensor was not hooked up to anything on my old one for some reason. When installing the new one I did the same. My question is where do you hook up the "rpm sensor" harness? I can't find anywhere to plug it in. The rpm gauge and rpm speed control never worked in my old one either (guess it's bc this wasn't plugged up). Anybody know what to do here? The installation instructions are confusing on this part. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I installed my PP in my 03 R LXi. If I ever ran into any problems I would call PP direct. They will understand what to do. That's my suggestion.

That's the thing. All I did was swap gauges. I already had it installed but I guess it wasn't installed right to begin with. Speed mode works great, but there is no rpm mode, probably Bc this "rpm sensor" harness isn't plugged in. I just don't know where to plug it in. If nobody knows then I guess a call to PP is in order just wanted to see if anyone here knew yet.

Gripnrip, when you installed yours, the two cables that you hook to the gauge, the main harness and the rpm cables, the rpm one splits into two harnesses right at the end where you plug it into the module. Do you remember this at all? If so where'd you hook em up?

Ps gotta say thanks to greengiant for the gauge!

I think there is a buried lead up in the harness for the RPM sensor, but I would just call PP, they are excellent at tech support.

-Chris

Don't know if this helps or not but I'll throw it out. I just put SG in my '05; the setup came with a "Plug & Play" cord that feeds rpm and power to the master module (and also has an unmarked 3rd plug that goes to the paddle wheel port in the MM if you have a paddle wheel, I don't). The male plug that the female Plug & Play harness plugs into was buried in the wiring harness under the dash above the steering rack, had to look for it and cut a couple of zip ties to get it loose. Your boat being an '03 I would think it would be similar wiring wise. Hope this helps.

Ed

just installed PP this weekend. Ed - gauge works great btw!!

there should be grey wire in the wire harness FOR PP rpm wire - its there for that reason only. ITS THERE & it has a connector already on it for you to plug the RPM wire into it.

if you are replacing the tach with the PP unit, simply unplug the old gauge and stowe the wire from it away. install new gauge and run its wire to the Module.

then run the RPM power wire from the module using a male connector to the Grey RPM wire in the wiring harness with the female connector. there should only be 1 grey wire - it will already have a female connector & again it is there FOR this purpose.

then run the black ground wire from the PP RPM wire to the ground bar.

power wire will run the black ground to the ground bar as well, positive wire to the ignition terminal purple wire as indicated in the PP instructions.

the grey RPM wire is in the harness. its there...

Edited by H20ski Dude

the problem I had was I was missing a cable. There is suppose to be a 8-12" long cable to connect the rpm sensor cable to. But I was having trouble figuring out which wire on the rpm sensor (3 wires non of them grey) to the rpm wire going to the mmc (or whatever it's called). That wire is grey but you're suppose to attach that to the middle wire on the rpm sensor cable which is white. So it's all good now. Thanks guys.

I just did a similar upgrade on my 2002 Sunscape last weekend- The older single line PP and analog tach were replaced with the new multiline PP display. Now I've noticed that the digital RPM readings are inaccurate. At idle up through cruising speed the MMDC center display shows the RPM's at about half of what they realistically should be - example was idle at 300rpm and skiing at 1600. Weird. Also the PP holds realistic RPM figures when cruising/skiing speeds, but at idle is showing 1400. The PP is working fine in both speed and RPM modes, so maybe I shouldn't complain, but since I don't have an analog tach anymore it would be nice if the digital ones were reasonably accurate through the whole RPM band. PP is sending me a new RPM harness to hook up to see if that corrects the problem, but still that shouldn't be messing up the MMDC readings...

Any ideas??

I just did a similar upgrade on my 2002 Sunscape last weekend- The older single line PP and analog tach were replaced with the new multiline PP display. Now I've noticed that the digital RPM readings are inaccurate. At idle up through cruising speed the MMDC center display shows the RPM's at about half of what they realistically should be - example was idle at 300rpm and skiing at 1600. Weird. Also the PP holds realistic RPM figures when cruising/skiing speeds, but at idle is showing 1400. The PP is working fine in both speed and RPM modes, so maybe I shouldn't complain, but since I don't have an analog tach anymore it would be nice if the digital ones were reasonably accurate through the whole RPM band. PP is sending me a new RPM harness to hook up to see if that corrects the problem, but still that shouldn't be messing up the MMDC readings...

Any ideas??

Do you have PP set to the proper engine in the user settings?

Do you have PP set to the proper engine in the user settings?

Yes - I repeated the initial setup with the engine selection and hours input etc. It still is reading idle RPM's at double normal, and cruising RPM's that seem accurate. What is even more strange is that the regular Malibu digital display is showing the values at 1/2 of what they should be. I read something in the owners manual about a pulse per second frequency selection - anyone know about those options and what my boat likely has?