Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much is this gonna cost me?

Clutch-n-Throttle

Well...

It was a little crazy at the launch ramp this weekend. Trying to maneuver around some people and I ended up against the ramp itself. I was trying to swing around and get the bow point out. The stern swung around I zinged the prop against the concrete ramp. Luckily I just barely had the tranny engaged forward. The engine stalled and I fired it up again. Everything feels smooth at low rpms. I bought it out and sure enough the prop is chewed up.

Took it home and looked at the prop and shaft. Now I'm worried. The shaft has shifted to the port by approx 1/2 inch. The end of the shaft is offset to port off the leading edge of the rudder

IMG_0005.jpg

I was noticing that the shaft brace has a slight bend as well.

IMG_0008.jpg

I turned on the engined and engaged forward. I checked the shaft and it seems to be spinning true.

I figure that since the prop and shaft brace are made of soft brass, they are designed to deform. Im hoping that I dont have any problems with the shaft and tranny.

Opinions? Estimate? Am I screwed?

THX

Jose

i bet if you unbolt the shaft from the transmission (or v-drive) you will see the shaft out of alignment. best bet is to change the strut. the strut is only about $250 and is relativly easy to replace. unscrew, remove, clean, apply underwater sealant, install and bolt up.

I have not looked at a bunch of these but the few that i have seen, the shaft is never in alingment with the rudder. I could be wrong so dont hold me to it, but isnt it ment to be off set that much. Dontknow.gif I hope this is right that way all you have to do is fix your prop, prolly less then $150.

I'd like to think that it would take a bit more than what you describe to damage the shaft and strut, especially with a NiBrAl prop.

The advantage to NiBrAl is that it'll bend like that when contacting underwater obstacles, thus minimizing damage to the rest of the

outdrive.

Hopefully, all you're looking at is repair costs for the prop. Mine ran me like $120, IIRC. I also bought a spare prop and prop change

kit so I won't ruin a whole weekend if/when this ever happens to me again.

The rudder is actually offset to the shaft as stated above. If the impact was as you described I would put a new prop on and test it for vibrations before removing shaft, strut, etc.

I was manuvering around the ramp a few years ago and backed up into a gravel pile. Trust me, your prop looks like new compaired to mine. Nothing worse than the sound of your prop powering a gravel blender :Doh: . I just replaced the prop and all was good.

The rudder is actually offset to the shaft as stated above. If the impact was as you described I would put a new prop on and test it for vibrations before removing shaft, strut, etc.

+1 Get the prop redone and test it. If you are impatient you could pull the shaft and spin it one some roller bearings to see if is straight.

I have also checked a shaft while still on the boat after lubricating the cutlass bearing. Idle speed is more than enough, just look at the dimple in the end of the shaft and it will tell you pretty quickly if it is out of round.

-Chris

Agree,

the shaft is suppose to be off the center or the rudder. Make sure you take the prop to a good shop. Inboard props have a lot less tolerance than stern drives.

3rd, 4th, 5th, or whatever...... Whistling.gif

Shaft is supposed to be offset. I dinged mine up last fall in some sand (shallow lake). All 4 blades folded over about the same as yours. Cost was $108. The issue they have is when the brass is torn. The better the brazer/welder, the bigger the tears he can fix. Otherwise it's just placed in a mold & beaten back into shape. Pretty interesting to watch. And a good shop can repair a lot worse damage than yours. Just make sure they are equipped (brazer, molds for your prop, etc.) to repair it at their shop. Sometimes they seem to lead a guy on, then ship it out to a shop who actually does the work. I'd prefer to bring it to the source myself.

Repair/resurface costs in Dallas, Tx are about $125 or so. I've hit my share (and then some) and have been fortunate the prop sacrificed itself.