Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring for independent control of F & R Titan Lights?

sliver

Is there a way to have independent control of the front & rear facing lights? It looks like the wire harness that came with the lights only has one switch wire.

Thanks in advance!

Bueler,.... Bueler,..... Bueler.....

Surely someone knows the solution to this. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician.

Bueler,.... Bueler,..... Bueler.....

Surely someone knows the solution to this. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician.

If they have all the wires for the lights connected to the one switch wire, then you will have to add another wire and split one set off (i.e. front or rear). The wire you add needs to be the same guage wire as the other to ensure it will handle the current load. Of course you will have to have another switch available as well.

Sunsetter95, Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm.... wonder if i'll need two harnesses to accomplish this?

There's two reasons for wanting to do this:

1) It's illegal to have forward "driving lights" on while underway on our waters.

2) Hoping to cut down on the bugs when all the lights aren't needed.

Sunsetter95, Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm.... wonder if i'll need two harnesses to accomplish this?

There's two reasons for wanting to do this:

1) It's illegal to have forward "driving lights" on while underway on our waters.

2) Hoping to cut down on the bugs when all the lights aren't needed.

Ok, sorry if I am going too much into the basics, but you said you weren't an electrician (either am I Whistling.gif ) so feel free to add/correct/clarify if you are! Here is my . 02...

You can use a common ground for all 6 lights

You will need two seperate hot leads, one for each light circuit (front/rear)

Two relays, one for front, one for rear

Two switches, or a switch that handles off, A,B and A+B

Ground to the ground block under the dash, or directly to the battery.

Pull power directly off of the battery, or a buss that is under the dash with 12V

Fuse both circuits seperately

I believe those lights are 55 watts each, so make sure to use good size wiring (I would use 10 or 12 guage probably)

Enclose the wiring in a plastic wire loom where the tower hinges and through the hull if possible and wind with electrical tape to keep wires from pinching

Wire the lights in parallel on each circuit, not in series

Like I said, this is pretty basic, but if you don't do it much it's easy to forget one or two things. I also solder everything, but that's just me.