Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive/Illusion X/Sky Ski

WakeGirl

In planning everything out for the new VLX, I'm left with 1 dilemma - where to put the Sky Ski. I could just invest in the Comptech rack & be done with it, but since it takes up 1 whole side that would limit us to 4 boards in racks total, plus there seems to be some question as to how functional 2 racks on 1 side of the Illusion is. Breaking it down is a possibility, but only as far as separating the foil from the ski, it's got too many pieces & would be too time consuming beyond that. So for those of you out there with v-drives that aren't putting the foil on a rack, how do you store it?

In planning everything out for the new VLX, I'm left with 1 dilemma - where to put the Sky Ski.  I could just invest in the Comptech rack & be done with it, but since it takes up 1 whole side that would limit us to 4 boards in racks total, plus there seems to be some question as to how functional 2 racks on 1 side of the Illusion is.  Breaking it down is a possibility, but only as far as separating the foil from the ski, it's got too many pieces & would be too time consuming beyond that.  So for those of you out there with v-drives that aren't putting the foil on a rack, how do you store it?

Right now, the normal racks will not allow you to hold 4 boards on one side. However, I did talk to Metcraft a few weeks back and they were developing a different rack (angle change on board holder) which would allow 4 on one side. They also have a Sky Ski rack for the Illusion now as well.

You should call Bob @ Metcraft and see what options they have right now.

Oh, and as far as storage of the Sky Ski. We break it down. Foil goes in the rear compartment. The Ski on the floor :)

We don't take it out enough to justify a rack for it. :(

I do break the foil from the ski. For me, it's only one wing nut and a quick pin. Lately, I've been leaving the ski laying on the bow cushion on the left side with a towel draped over the seat. I always have the foil tucked away on the floor behind the driver's seat. Again, with a towel on over the "business" end of it.

I have stored mine broken down. I put the ski/seat in the rear locker, the ski goes forward under the rear seat, and the foil up in the dash compartment with the strut going towards the back of the boat under the observer's seat. It takes up a lot of usefull room this way. You can still store vests on top of the ski if you need to. The good thing about it is the ski is broken down and easier to handle getting it to the platform to assemble it.

If you're going to carry it a lot, get a rack. With the way the Illusion is built, the Comptech will turn right into the boat for you to load/unload it. It's just a few hundred $$ more.

Store the SkySki 70 feet behind the boat with a passenger aboard. No problem with taking up space and no risk of it damaging the vinyl of your nice new boat!

:-)

Jeff/AirChair1

I ordered the Comptech rack July 29th and I'm still waiting. Those guys must be very backed up - good to be in this business, I guess. I'll get pics as soon as it gets here. The rack requires a $75 adapter plate to add to the hefty $660 price tag.

There is another angle for the lower rack on the opposite side. It will accomodate four wake boards with boots. Our problem is we have four wakeboards, one SkySki and two surfboards. I haven't figured out where to put the surfboards - but it will be much easier to deal with than the foil.

I break mine down and both pieces fit in the "bathroom" on the 25 LSV. Tight fit in there but once its in its in there its solid and they will not rub on each other or move around at all for that matter. And the door locks, (it was a bathroom), in case you have to park in a bad neighborhood.