Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First run of the day 200 yards... impeller... uhhg

Ok, I should have learned -- last year when I stored our boat at Skier's Pier in MI I changed Impeller and fluids (plus in-line gas filter) -- this year it was just fluids and oil filter as the tech said it's only one year old -- change it "this" fall.... OK? (read newbee).

Launched the boat -- charged batteries, full tank of gas -- started in the water still attached to the trailer -- no leaks off I go to my slip... I pass the slip get 30 yards into the lake at put-put speed and see steam and a rising temp gauge -- it hit 204 before I could turn it off and padle back to the ramp... (time to see D-goose if the group buy on impellers is still good? :) )

Question -- "one season" -- appears short versus the rest of the posts... could it be related to the oil change in the fall -- bumping the engine without water? Always well handled at the shop -- I curious, so I've asked to review the spent impeller and "parts" when they pull it...

Fingers crossed for this weekend -- just have to wait one more week. Cry.gif

Did you ever try increasing rpms drastically to see if you could get the water flowing? Could have been as simple as that with no problems with the impeller at all. For whatever reason, there could have been a problem with the pump priming for the initial startup. If you never went above idle rpm's, I'd be inclined to bet that was your problem.

I've never run the engine with no water source...when you say bumping, do you mean running for a very short time or just simply turning the engine over to get rid of any trapped water???

martinarcher
Hey guys can anyone tell me the part # for an impeller on a 90 skier with the 260hp 5.7? I can't find one anywhere also i believe i need a new housing.

thanks

Phill

I bet that it it as well. My boat didn't prime after sitting dry all winter when I started it the first time this spring with the fake-a-lake. I primed with water pressure and since then it's been fine.

Did you ever try increasing rpms drastically to see if you could get the water flowing? Could have been as simple as that with no problems with the impeller at all. For whatever reason, there could have been a problem with the pump priming for the initial startup. If you never went above idle rpm's, I'd be inclined to bet that was your problem.

I've never run the engine with no water source...when you say bumping, do you mean running for a very short time or just simply turning the engine over to get rid of any trapped water???

No -- but you make an excellent point. In the past two years I always had the shop do a lake inspection and do the intitial run for me -- gosh am I embarassed -- but it does tell you the depth of this sight. Anyway -- it's back to the shop and they're pulling the impeller -- I'll let you know what they find when I pick it up on Friday. Thanks.

This is one of the reasons I use antifreeze over the winter and not just drain. I think it is better to have fluid in the motor and system so thing do not store dry. I like the impeller in fluid and all the seals and gaskets also. ( JMHO ).