Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire Rot -- When to replace?

Hi folks, picked up our boat today from inside storage and notice for the first time that I have concentric cracks all around the surface of both tires on my trailer (original tires) -- the shop teck said this was "tire rot" and need to replace -- can I run the boat down to the slip, or are these a impending "bomb" (single axle nightmare)... anybody have experience with this deterioration? or what is the average age length of a tire (it sits all summer except to go get gas).

btw, replacement cost for installation and disposal or the old tires $199 (it will be done shortly). Thanks!

I would change them ASAP. Too much can happen with a blown tire. Rubber can cause allot of damage not to mention the steel belt.

Hi folks, picked up our boat today from inside storage and notice for the first time that I have concentric cracks all around the surface of both tires on my trailer (original tires) -- the shop teck said this was "tire rot" and need to replace -- can I run the boat down to the slip, or are these a impending "bomb" (single axle nightmare)... anybody have experience with this deterioration? or what is the average age length of a tire (it sits all summer except to go get gas).

btw, replacement cost for installation and disposal or the old tires $199 (it will be done shortly). Thanks!

The tire rot is due the moisture in the lines when using compressed air in the tires. When the trailer sits for weeks or months on end the water condenses and rots the tire from the inside out, most trailer tires don't last more than 3 or 4 years safely because of this problem. I just had my tandem set up with four new tires last june and had my mechanic put nitrogen in the tires, best idea ever. The tires maybe lost 1-2 pounds of pressure in 11 months, nitrogen is lighter thus causing less friction on the road keeping the tires cooler at highway speeds which reduces tire wear, and best of all no h2o in nitrogen therefore NO MORE TIRE ROT!

I have tandem and had two blowouts on the same trip, the tires had a slight amount of checking on the sidewalls which I didn't think was serious, I was wrong. You can do a search on tire rot and you will get alot of info. If it were me I would change them before I drove above 40 mph.

The tire rot is due the moisture in the lines when using compressed air in the tires. When the trailer sits for weeks or months on end the water condenses and rots the tire from the inside out, most trailer tires don't last more than 3 or 4 years safely because of this problem. I just had my tandem set up with four new tires last june and had my mechanic put nitrogen in the tires, best idea ever. The tires maybe lost 1-2 pounds of pressure in 11 months, nitrogen is lighter thus causing less friction on the road keeping the tires cooler at highway speeds which reduces tire wear, and best of all no h2o in nitrogen therefore NO MORE TIRE ROT!

This is only part of the problem. If you can see cracks around the outside of your tires that is usually not from moisture in the tire but from sun. If you store your boat outside then you should cover the tires to shade them from the sun. If you do this your tires will last much longer.

I have an old jet boat that is stored outside and the tires are covered. The current set of tires has 15 years on the tires.