Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine overheat & smoking engine - 2000 VLX

OK, I recently purchased a 2000 VLX from an individual in Arizona. We took the boat out on a lake there before I purchased it and the thing was running great. Well I bought it and hauled it back to Texas and have taken it out one time since, and guess what happened. The engine overheated and as far as I could tell it was not circulating water. So I pull the impeller and it looks fine, but I did find some misterious pieces of plastic in the screen before the water hits the thermostat. So I replaced the impeller and as far as I can tell, by using the "fake a lake", the engine is cooling and I can feel the water circulating through the hoses. Everything is looking good until I notice white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, primarily the driver side exhaust. The engine has never smoked before and I'm fearing for the worste. Maybe when the engine overheated on the lake, some rings got fried. The smoke isn't black and it really doesn't even stink or smell like an oil burning engine usually does, but this is my first experience with a boat engine repair. Any advice or words of wisdom? Maybe my next step is to check the compression? Oh and I also noticed that the do not run light on the dash is lit up and the oil pressure is constantly bouncing from 40 to 70, not staying at a constant pressure. What the heck could that mean?

Edited by Ace18
OK, I recently purchased a 2000 VLX from an individual in Arizona. We took the boat out on a lake there before I purchased it and the thing was running great. Well I bought it and hauled it back to Texas and have taken it out one time since, and guess what happened. The engine overheated and as far as I could tell it was not circulating water. So I pull the impeller and it looks fine, but I did find some misterious pieces of plastic in the screen before the water hits the thermostat. So I replaced the impeller and as far as I can tell, by using the "fake a lake", the engine is cooling and I can feel the water circulating through the hoses. Everything is looking good until I notice white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, primarily the driver side exhaust. The engine has never smoked before and I'm fearing for the worste. Maybe when the engine overheated on the lake, some rings got fried. The smoke isn't black and it really doesn't even stink or smell like an oil burning engine usually does, but this is my first experience with a boat engine repair. Any advice or words of wisdom? Maybe my next step is to check the compression? Oh and I also noticed that the do not run light on the dash is lit up and the oil pressure is constantly bouncing from 40 to 70, not staying at a constant pressure. What the heck could that mean?

Is the the "smoke" white? If so.. are you sure it isn't steam? Knowing that will help you figure out where to look for the problem. I would guess you have debris in your water system and the line is clogged to the exhaust riser on the side that is smoking. That doesn't explain the engine overheating (But it sounds like you might have fixed that.) Sounds like you might be cooking your exhaust hose (the one that connects the exhaust riser to the exhaust.) They need water to be cooled. Feel the exhaust riser on that side and see if it is warmer than the other side. Is water coming out both exhaust tips?

Edited by gregtay

The fluctuating oil pressure could be a sender or wiring issue. Are you sure this wasn't happening prior to overheat? You could put a test gauge on the engine to verify pressure readings. The white smoke could also be the result of a blown head gasket allow water to seep from cooling jacket passages into cylinder. Pull the spark plugs and look for one or two that look different from rest. The debris you found against the screen was most likely the cause of the overheat. Reading various posts describing different areas where debris has been found to accummulate, the most prudent thing to do is check all hoses and accessories between the water pickup and the thermostat to be sure all debris has been removed.

The fluctuating oil pressure could be a sender or wiring issue. Are you sure this wasn't happening prior to overheat? You could put a test gauge on the engine to verify pressure readings. The white smoke could also be the result of a blown head gasket allow water to seep from cooling jacket passages into cylinder. Pull the spark plugs and look for one or two that look different from rest. The debris you found against the screen was most likely the cause of the overheat. Reading various posts describing different areas where debris has been found to accummulate, the most prudent thing to do is check all hoses and accessories between the water pickup and the thermostat to be sure all debris has been removed.

Plus1.gif

From the description of the problem, that would be my first assumption. Although i would inspect further and hope for the best.

Plus1.gif

From the description of the problem, that would be my first assumption. Although i would inspect further and hope for the best.

Well, I've since changed out the impeller, (which I'm not sure needed to be done seeing how the old one still looked fine) and have checked the compression for all cylinders. The compression check came back fine (thank god) and the engine cooled fine with the fake a lake attached. So I took the boat back out and was able to pull a couple people around on wakeboards until I noticed the heat started rising again. I guess my next step is to replace the thermostat and check the timing. Wish me luck.

Edited by Ace18

If the thermostat doesn't do the trick, I'd check the raw water pump too. Follow the water hose from the intake in the hull, it's probably the first thing in line. Pull the hose from the other side, turn the key on & it should start pumping water.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well I'm pretty sure I found the problem and solved this mistery. I went to check the hose from the intake side fo the C pump and discovered a massive clog. It was old empeller rubber allmost completely stopping up the intake side. The rubber must have been from an older empeller prior to the install of a new empeller by the previous owner. Now the engine is circulating water like a champ. I'm going to run it at the lake today to make sure it's ready for a hard-days-work at the lake this weekend. I can't thank you guys enough for the advice and help. You're AWESOME! I want to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Weekend.

I am thinking I have the same problem as you as I was seeing a little white smoke/steam after an impeller failure last weekend. Ran the boat all day saturday after the impeller went out on friday and it ran strong and didn't get above 160 on the gauge but I did notice a little of the white smoke at the end of the day. I hope I can get it fixed this weekend.