Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stagazer GPS on 99 Response

NAM75

Anyone put Stargazer GPS on their Response??

I currently don't have any speed control, but I like that I won't have to drill and add a paddlewheel.

I do only have 1 speedo. I think I'll have to pull that speedo and replace it with the Stargazer display?

Do they have a seperate display like Perfect pass used to?

A few guys I ski with have done PP, so I think I can DIY.

Any pointers??

Anyone put Stargazer GPS on their Response??

I currently don't have any speed control, but I like that I won't have to drill and add a paddlewheel.

I do only have 1 speedo. I think I'll have to pull that speedo and replace it with the Stargazer display?

Do they have a seperate display like Perfect pass used to?

A few guys I ski with have done PP, so I think I can DIY.

Any pointers??

Just finished the install in my '05 RLXI yesterday. Yes, the PP display is a separate gauge unit. My boat has the multi display in the speedo (air & water temp, depth finder, clock) which if yours has that you'll want to keep. Pull the tach from the middle position, move the speedo to the center, install the PP display on the right hand side (see photo below). BTW this photo was provided to me by someone else on the board when I asked basically the same question a few weeks back, thanks again to whomever provided it to me.

Since you don't need to cut a hole in the hull for the paddle wheel the install is really pretty simple. The biggest deal for me was removing the foot rest panel under the drivers side dash (freaking screws didn't want to back out and had a hard time finding the one on the far right that goes through the little shelf thingie where the drivers cup holder etc is into the kick panel). Four screws total hold the kick panel in place, kinda sketchy design IMO.

The gauge cluster is held in place by only 3 screws - one goes straight up in the center of the panel into the structure above, the other two go through and appear to only hold the chrome Malibu badge in place below the center gauge. Remove these 3 screws and the panel pops out to allow access to the back of the gauges. Also when you remove the gauge panel you get access to a flat surface behind the panel under the dash. Mount the GPS antenna on that panel so you don't have to look at it stuck to the top of your dash (another pointer I got here). Mine finds the satelite signal no problem.

Running the servo cable from the engine bay wasn't a big deal at all. When you remove the drivers kick panel you'll find an oval shaped hole in the floor on the left hand side near the fire wall through which the steering cable, throttle cables, a wiring harness etc pass. On mine, if you look down into this hole you'll see what looked to me to be a piece of thin wall PVC pipe that contains the steering cable and a wiring harness if memory serves. Anyway, this feeds into the stringer at the starboard side of the engine compartment. At the front of the engine bay drivers side is a louvered plastic vent held in place by 4 screws. Remove the vent to access the stringer space. Feed a fish tape into the oval hole under the dash and into the pipe described above, it feeds right to the vent at the engine bay. I cut one louvered section out of the vent to allow the servo cable plugs through then reinstalled the vent.

Mine came with a "Plug & Play" cable that connects to the Malibu factory wiring to provide power and RPM feeds to the SG Master Module. This plug in was wire tied up pretty tightly to the wiring under the dash, had to look for it a bit. Plug into that to feed the MM, it's the only thing under there that the Plug & Play harness will fit into. There is a 3rd plug on the MM end of the Plug & Play harness that appears to go to the paddle wheel connection on the MM, leave it unpluged per PerfectPass. I e-mailed them to ask about that, was told to leave it unpluged as it serves no purpose in these boats with SG.

Those were the biggest issues for me. If you have more questions fire away, this group is a vast wealth of knowledge and experience from which I've already benefited greatly.

Ed

post-8409-1242483387_thumb.jpg

I put it in my '01 Sunsetter last year. Pretty straight forward. Biggest challenge was pulling all the wires - I think I spent about half the install time doing that. I have the version just before they eliminated the paddle wheel, so I got to drill a 2" hole in the hull.

Grey wire for tach should be in dash, but not attached directly to a gauge. Mine was pig-tailed there & then went to MDC.

If you're running a magnet pickup, I ran mine from passenger side to driver side thru the ski locker with the battery wires.

Another TMC member & I installed a judge's display underneath the throttle using a GPS mount & didn't replace any of the gauges - I like the stock look on the dash & you really don't need to mess with PPSG that much.

I put it in my '01 Sunsetter last year. Pretty straight forward. Biggest challenge was pulling all the wires - I think I spent about half the install time doing that. I have the version just before they eliminated the paddle wheel, so I got to drill a 2" hole in the hull.

Grey wire for tach should be in dash, but not attached directly to a gauge. Mine was pig-tailed there & then went to MDC.

If you're running a magnet pickup, I ran mine from passenger side to driver side thru the ski locker with the battery wires.

Another TMC member & I installed a judge's display underneath the throttle using a GPS mount & didn't replace any of the gauges - I like the stock look on the dash & you really don't need to mess with PPSG that much.

Thanks guys....I was thinking of mounting the unit separate. I'd like to keep my factory tach in place. I do use the my boat outside of the course, and its nice to have both tach and speedo to drive off of.

What kind of GPS mount did you use?

I installed PP classic on my 2002 LX and didn't put the paddlewheel in. I just couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat. It works great for slalom above 26 mph. Below that I use RPM mode to pull my kids. I am thinking of upgrading to Stargazer so I have accurate speeds at the lower end. My son is running the course up to 26 mph but starts at slower speeds.

Here's a link to the thread I based my install on. It's a RAM-Mount GPS Mount.

Edit: To attach the display, I opened the display, attached the back of the display to the mount with screws, covered the screw heads with a bit of thin rubber & re-assembled. It's quite solid. I attached it to the bottom/cup holder area with SS screws in to pre-drilled holes.

Edited by wienrdog

Thanks guys....I was thinking of mounting the unit separate. I'd like to keep my factory tach in place. I do use the my boat outside of the course, and its nice to have both tach and speedo to drive off of.

What kind of GPS mount did you use?

When I upgraded to SGPP a mounted a judges display down by the drivers cup holder too. I missed having an analog tach in the dash every since my old single line display with the analog tach went bad. So far its been working out fine down there, sometimes its a little hard the hear the beep from the timer.

• 1 month later...

I left my original tach in place and replaced the speedo with the Multi-line display. Figured the speedo would never be as good as the GPS and the tach was more useful.

I built a gauge pod out of 4 inch PVC and mounted the gauge under the dash on the center bulkhead. The 3.5 inch PP display fits great and looks factory. The pod is cut at an angle so it has the same orientation to the driver as the rest of the gauges. Original dash is unchanged.