Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips for Running Smart Timer Wire in an RLXI?

ed obermeier

I pretty much got my StarGazer system installed today in my purchased-last-fall '05 RLXI. No problem getting the wiring for the servo from engine bay to under dash, however getting the wire for the Smart Timer from under dash drivers side to the passenger side behind-seat storage compartment is baffling me. Anyone who has done this have any tips or tricks to pass along? I ran a search but didn't find anything covering this specifically. TIA.

Ed

I pretty much got my StarGazer system installed today in my purchased-last-fall '05 RLXI. No problem getting the wiring for the servo from engine bay to under dash, however getting the wire for the Smart Timer from under dash drivers side to the passenger side behind-seat storage compartment is baffling me. Anyone who has done this have any tips or tricks to pass along? I ran a search but didn't find anything covering this specifically. TIA.

Ed

I took mine out the front of the storage compartment, under the frame for the front seat cushions using clips to keep the wire out of sight, brought it around to the drivers side and brought it in under the dash then connected it. You might keep in mind that StarGazer only needs one magnet for the entrance gate. Unless other boats on your lake are running all buoy timing using the PP Classic you can put the Smart Timer on the drivers side and have one magnet on the driver's side entrance gate buoy at each end.

Ed,

I will check later to confirm if otherwise, but I'm 99% sure my wire travels through the ski locker. If you open the locker, there are holes on either side that allow wire to travel across "ceiling" of the locker...just forward of the opening (along with the battery cables I believe).

...You might keep in mind that StarGazer only needs one magnet for the entrance gate. Unless other boats on your lake are running all buoy timing using the PP Classic you can put the Smart Timer on the drivers side and have one magnet on the driver's side entrance gate buoy at each end.

Initially I wasn't even going to get a smart timer when I put this system together (kept the master module and GPS antenna from the old boat, put the PP Classic module back in it before selling her, bought the parts to complete this system). When I had SG in my previous boat I usually didn't even mess with magnets when I used my own portable course, just used the hand timer to start timing. I thought about that too, just putting it on the drivers side but I figured WTH, the boat is new to me and I intend to keep it quite awhile so I'll just go ahead and put the smart timer in the right spot and be done with it. Done spent the money now.

Davemac - I tried tracing the battery cables but guess I didn't look in the right spot. I'll take another look this morning while I'm a bit more clear headed. Thank you.

Ed

Unless the 2005 routes the battery cable differently than mine this should be real easy - at least compared to the run for the switch and wires going to the servo motor.

I ran mine alongside the battery cable in the storage compartment, which routes through the ski locker and into the area under the dash. Sounds like you're doing the same thing. Because of the number of wires coming up under the dash it can be a bit of a pain to the end of the timer wire alongside the others. I just had a buddy move it around a bunch until I could see it.

Mike

Edited by mlange
...You might keep in mind that StarGazer only needs one magnet for the entrance gate. Unless other boats on your lake are running all buoy timing using the PP Classic you can put the Smart Timer on the drivers side and have one magnet on the driver's side entrance gate buoy at each end.

Initially I wasn't even going to get a smart timer when I put this system together (kept the master module and GPS antenna from the old boat, put the PP Classic module back in it before selling her, bought the parts to complete this system). When I had SG in my previous boat I usually didn't even mess with magnets when I used my own portable course, just used the hand timer to start timing. I thought about that too, just putting it on the drivers side but I figured WTH, the boat is new to me and I intend to keep it quite awhile so I'll just go ahead and put the smart timer in the right spot and be done with it. Done spent the money now.

Davemac - I tried tracing the battery cables but guess I didn't look in the right spot. I'll take another look this morning while I'm a bit more clear headed. Thank you.

Ed

Why do you consider the passenger side the "right" side? Mine is on driver's side, much easier wiring, and works fine. why not just put there?

Mine's on the passenger side. As the others said, I ran mine across the ski locker with the battery cables. I see no issue if you put the timer on the drivers side if you use it in the same course every time. Most courses that I go to have the mags on the left side.

For whatever reason it's more "standard" to put magnets in a course on the passenger side. If you only use one course and everyone else using the course is on the same page you can move it. If you use different courses it's pretty likely that at least one will be set up that way.

And to why it's usually done that way... I'm not really sure. I'm with you that it makes more sense if the driver's side was the standard side.

Mike

Mine's on the passenger side. As the others said, I ran mine across the ski locker with the battery cables. I see no issue if you put the timer on the drivers side if you use it in the same course every time. Most courses that I go to have the mags on the left side.

not to hijack thread...but, Edwin, I'm fairly certain I was a little more partial to the old avatar

not to hijack thread...but, Edwin, I'm fairly certain I was a little more partial to the old avatar

sorry davemac...changed, just for you!

For whatever reason it's more "standard" to put magnets in a course on the passenger side. If you only use one course and everyone else using the course is on the same page you can move it. If you use different courses it's pretty likely that at least one will be set up that way.

And to why it's usually done that way... I'm not really sure. I'm with you that it makes more sense if the driver's side was the standard side.

Mike

If a course is ABT, then it won't matter, and both gates have a mag. The only thing I can think of is if there is just gate/3ball/gate mag on each side, but all the courses I'm familiar with are set up so 3rd buoy mag is on driver's side. To be really official you're supposed to have 2 timers and just pick a side of the course to run mags. But hey, maybe we're just doing it wrong, wlthough we still get good times! Rockon.gif

I'm such dumba$$. :Doh: Once I knew where to look it took me like 2 minutes to route the wire through with the battery cables. Anyway it's all in, loaded the update, I'm ready to rock. If the freaking weather ever straightens out here in the Great Plains. Thanks to all for the pointers!!

Ed