Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

yellow spot on sun deck

We just got a ton rain here and removed the cover to find a bunch of yellow spot on the sun deck but only on the gray vinyl. I remember seeing post about this but cant find them right now. Need some ideas on how to remove them, also will the dealer warranty this out.

thanks

We had some issues with or skins on the grey parts. It was more brown then yellow but did have some yellow tint to it. I was told that it was from a bad batch of glue on some boats. If you contact george at malibu in cal. then he can run your hull # and see if your boat was in that batch. If it was and it is still under warranty (it is by year) then they will help you out with it, if not take care of the whole thing.

We were a year out of warranty so we had to pay for the new skins but they gave us a great deal. It was worth it to get them fixed to us!

take lots of pics though so they can make sure it is the glue and not something else.

on the other hand it could not be that at all and something that just rubbed off on the skins and the sun may bleach it out. Magic Eraser works well for surface stains sometimes also.

Edited by txwakejunkie

I am in the process of having Malibu warranty some yellow/brown spotting on my sunpad. They did tell me it was glue coming through. Since you're in Virginia I would call Malibu in Loudon, TN and ask for Carrie Johnson - 865-4585478 - good luck.

Can someone post some pics. I'm having the same issue and malibu has yet to cover my seat skins under warrenty.

Edited by RobSMalibu
Can someone post some pics. I'm having the same issue and malibu has yet to cover my seat skins under warrenty.

Is your boat still under warranty? If it is I would tell them you have read how they are covering others under warranty. It could be your dealer. You may have to call malibu dirrect.

I thought this problem happened years ago. My brother's interior was warranted on his 2003 XTI. I'm surprised to see it happening on 2006s & 2007s.

to the guys with the spots, if your boat hull# does not match the boats built with the bad glue then you may be out of luck on getting it fixed under warranty. There are a few other things that can cause these spots other then glue that will not be covered. Ex, tanning loations, new swim suits, some cleaners, some acne treatments, mold, ect.... so you have to be sure that it is a glue issue.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Well first off I have dealing with Malibu directly. Second my boat is a 2007 vride with 90 hours on it. I've own it since it was brand new; whats frustrating is that I only use 303 on the interior and Im still geting grief from Malibu so much so that the wife wants to sell the boat. Im kind of at my wits end with this boat. I just thought I would see if the photos look the same as on my boat.

Well first off I have dealing with Malibu directly. Second my boat is a 2007 vride with 90 hours on it. I've own it since it was brand new; whats frustrating is that I only use 303 on the interior and Im still geting grief from Malibu so much so that the wife wants to sell the boat. Im kind of at my wits end with this boat. I just thought I would see if the photos look the same as on my boat.

Pm me your email addy and i will send you what mine did, having to many issues trying to get them on here.

Edited by txwakejunkie

I'd love to help but Malibu is fixing it right now 7 hrs away!!!

• 1 year later...
I am in the process of having Malibu warranty some yellow/brown spotting on my sunpad. They did tell me it was glue coming through.

Just contacted Malibu (George) and was told the "brown spots" on the gray vinyl areas have been determined to be either an algae or a fungal growth...and NOT glue. Seems it becomes embedded in the pores of the vinyl by contact with either people, or possibly water borne.

Supposedly, it's growth is hastened by the heat of the engine compartment below the sun pads, which is why the exact same "gray areas" of all the seat cushions inside the boat is NOT effected (at least on my 247)....but just why it's ONLY in the gray area of the sunpads is beyond me (and not in the white areas of the sunpads). Direct contact with the sun seems to lighten the brown spots a little over time, but they always seem to come back....especially when the boat cover is put back on the boat.

As you all know, that gray (smaller) area of vinyl gets MUCH hotter than the white (larger) section of the vinyl (can't step there under direct sunlight), so I guess some form of fungal growth is possible, but you'd think the extra heat would kill it....not make it grow more!

Seems to me, the "closed cell" nature of vinyl would prevent any liquids from penetrating to solve the issue (kill the fungal/algae growth)....but then again, just how does any algae or fungus even get started in the "pores" of the vinyl??

Anybody any ever tried anti-fungal growth products on this problem area with any success?

Since the only other option seems to be complete replacement of the vinyl on both of the sun pads, any slight discoloration of the gray by some liquid application may not be as bad as the growth-caused discoloration is now.

Input anyone???

Edited by rustie

I had my first bout with this algae/fungus just a couple weeks ago. Some punks broke into my boat (they got caught) and it got rained on. I covered it back up and didn't have time to properly dry and clean it up before I took it to the dealer where it sat covered for about 3 weeks. When I got it back and uncovered it I nearly :vomit: The grey areas in the bow where a terrible brownish greenish color. Anyways I got lucky and had 2 consecutive cloudless 95 degree days and 99% of it completely disappeared.

I call BS on the mold. My boat is indoors and always put away dry. Same brown issue in the grey at the corners.Malibu has acknowledged the problem and should fix it. Did mold stop growing on the newer boats or did Malibu fix the issue? It is great advertisement when you drive around with some crappy looking interior.If it were my company, you fix the problem.I have not seen a Mastercraft with mold issues in the corners. Maybe it only grows on Malibus.I'm sure times are tough at Malibu but unhappy customers are not going to return. Saving a dime costs a dollar.

I always get those same spots when I put the cover on for a few days. If it sets out in the sun for a day or two they go away. It's the wierdest thing, haven't worried about it too much. But i have always wondered what the hell is going on, thought it was from the cover. Yes it is only the grey vinyl that does this.

I always get those same spots when I put the cover on for a few days. If it sets out in the sun for a day or two they go away. It's the wierdest thing, haven't worried about it too much. But i have always wondered what the hell is going on, thought it was from the cover. Yes it is only the grey vinyl that does this.

I wish I would have taken pictures at noon on saturday and at 6pm on sunday. It was amazing. Like I said, I almost threw up when I saw it, but then I remembered all the posts about it on the crew, and it worked :thumbup:

I call BS on the mold. My boat is indoors and always put away dry. Same brown issue in the grey at the corners.Malibu has acknowledged the problem and should fix it. Did mold stop growing on the newer boats or did Malibu fix the issue? It is great advertisement when you drive around with some crappy looking interior.If it were my company, you fix the problem.I have not seen a Mastercraft with mold issues in the corners. Maybe it only grows on Malibus.I'm sure times are tough at Malibu but unhappy customers are not going to return. Saving a dime costs a dollar.

Yeah, certainly Mastercrafts are far superior and without issues, oh wait, there's a recent post about an old malibu towing in an x-star that got a little wet and stopped running, that's great advertisement too. Do you have any pics of your issue?

Soft Scrub liquid. Use very sparingly. Do not use it often.

Most of the time I have my spray bottle of Formula 409 in the boat. I keep a couple of towels in the boat, too for any minor dirt, or booboo's. It is not great but seems to not hurt the upholstery in any way.

When somebody puts a black mark on my upholstery from their sandals or tennis shoes I will use a little of the soft scrub right where the mishap occured. It works but is very abrasive.

Once we're in the boat it's no shoes, please ! But at Billy Chinook the ramp can get busy and we try to get people on board as quickly as possible and get away from there. In that time frame the shoes do not always get removed before the first time into the boat.

I just got my boat back from all upholstery being replaced. Every piece of my upholstery Browned Yellowed whatever you want to call it. I have a black cover. The most frustrating part for me is my boat doesnt see the sun unless its in the water :unsure: Malibu did warranty it though. Ive used more 303 than anyone should. I have opted to only use Malco cleaner and protectants. I have a friend who owns a Upholstery shop he swears by Malco and uses it on 10 yr old Eliminator which still looks like new!

I've got the same issues with my 05 23lsv. I have a guy coming on Friday to re-dye the grey parts of my sunpad. My Malibu dealership has had good success with this method and is way cheaper than replacing skins. My previous boats ( 03-x30 and 04-x45) never had any vinyl issues and expected better quality from Malibu. It's just sad to see how bad the vinyl can get.