Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Contura Rocker Switch wiring help....

I'm replacing the knob-style switches in my 2000 RLX with the Contura rocker switches present in boats made after 2000. I have a wiring question. To keep it simple, let's focus only on the ON/OFF switches (i.e. radio, bilge, blower,etc.). In my current setup, there are 4 poles on the old knob-style switch (pos, neg, ground, indicator light)....however the ON/OFF replacement Contura switches only have 3 poles; this can mean one of two thing (of course assuming two of the poles are pos and neg)

A) that that remaining 3rd pole is for the switches indicator light and there is not individual ground on each switch

B) the remaining 3rd pole is the ground and the switch's indicator light is powered off the pos pole

Anyone know which one is correct..tried to figure out the wiring diagram, but it makes no sense.....

Let us know if you need wiring info for DPDT switches. I did the same upgrade to our Response a while back; a fair bit of work, but worth it if you do the job right (especially if you have a lot of accessories on the boat).

martinarcher

This question might apply to this thread.....

Are the DPDT Contura switches available in ON-OFF-ON with lighted indicators on each of the on positions?

Thanks!

Are the DPDT Contura switches available in ON-OFF-ON with lighted indicators on each of the on positions?

Thanks!

Yep. Red, blue, green, or amber.

And to address the first post I believe the answer is C. The two poles next to eachother are + & - The third should be piggybacked with the ground pole for the light.

Edited by beast

Thanks!

The switch should have a little wiring diagram but if not and you want to be sure, go to Radio Shack or an auto parts store and buy an ohm meter to see how each switch works. You can probably find it online on their site if I recall.

Just attach that little red wire to the other side of the big red wire and you'll be done! Crazy.gif

I rewired my '95 as well.

post-144-1242267885_thumb.jpg

post-144-1242268102_thumb.jpg

The wiring diagram is available in the tech documents on carlingtech.com.

See I told you! skicrave, you da man.

Not to highjack the post, but are you guy's ever going to get nice weather up there in OR? If I could, I would trade you 50/50 for a while. It is to hot to early down here.

Edited by Sunsetter95

Hijack back.

Sunday May 17th looks like our first boating day. Maybe 83 degrees at Lake Billy Chinook.

Saturday is the Pole Paddle Pedal race. A 5 leg race: downhill snow ski, cross country snow ski, bicycle ride down Mt. Bachelor into Bend, run 5k, then paddle your kayak.

So it would be possible to snow ski in the AM and H2O ski in the afternoon.

Hijack back.

Sunday May 17th looks like our first boating day. Maybe 83 degrees at Lake Billy Chinook.

Saturday is the Pole Paddle Pedal race. A 5 leg race: downhill snow ski, cross country snow ski, bicycle ride down Mt. Bachelor into Bend, run 5k, then paddle your kayak.

So it would be possible to snow ski in the AM and H2O ski in the afternoon.

That's awesome! We can do that here in Phoenix as well, but I really never heard of anybody getting something organized. Flagstaff is only 2-2.5 hours away to snow ski, and the lakes never freeze over. The winters here are never that cold. I think I took my light jacket to work in the morning about a dozen times this past "winter". The water is still very cold. It all runs down hill from the Rockies and up in Flag.

These ON/OFF/ON switches are driving me nuts!!! The wiring diagram at Carling does not help me at all. I have been using an ohm meter to figure out how the switch works, but I'm still stumped. Here's the problem:

--> I have 4 wires coming into the switch 1) 12v power f/ the fuse panel

2) Ground

3) 12v leading to the Anchor Light

4) 12v leading to the Running light

--> Here's the issue, in the down on position I need to provide power to ONLY the anchor light lead, in the up on position I need to provide power to both the anchor light lead AND the Running lights lead.

--> I know where the 12v coming in from the panel and the ground go, but I can't figure out where to place the anchor and running lights leads for them to operate as designed. I've even tried jumpers from one side of the switch to the other.

Anyone feel like pulling their switch panel off and taking a picture for me Whistling.gif

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the bad picture. I just added a DTDP switch to run some extra lights in the same manor as the nav. and anchor light switch. Hot needs to be jumpered to both sides along the the anchor light.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the bad picture. I just added a DTDP switch to run some extra lights in the same manor as the nav. and anchor light switch. Hot needs to be jumpered to both sides along the the anchor light.

PERFECT!! Thank you so much!!

Thanks to all that helped with my switch replacement!!! I'm very happy with the results Clap.gif Enjoy the pics below:

post-1765-1242785241_thumb.jpg

Edited by spinxt
  • 1 year later...