Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'00 Wakesetter Hours

Stick

I spoke with a guy on the phone selling a '00 Wakesetter and he said he didn't know how many hours it had due to it not having a hour meter? Would this boat possibly come without one? I thought I'd seen a way to take it in and a mechanic could tell how many hours it had, how would they do it and is it possible to do on a '00 model?

Thanks for your help.

does the boat have Perfect Pass? The speedo was normally replaced with the PP gauge. Factory speedo had a digital display in the bottom of it that had hours. PP has an hour meter on it but who knows if it was added during the initial build of the boat, if the correct # of hours were input when it was installed if at a later date, etc.

Believe the best option is to have a dealer run a diagnostic scan to determine the exact engine hrs.

Depends on the motor, does the boat have a monsoon or the standard 310 motor (assuming it could be a DD wakesetter)? If it has EFI, hours can be pulled off the engine computer, if its a carbed motor no way to verify hours.

It is possible they replaced the tach (where the hour meter was on those era boats) to put in PP which would store the hours since install or replacement or reflash.

-Chris

If the tach was pulled to make room for ppass, just get a tach from your dealer to borrow and plug it into the harness at the dash and it will display the correct hours.

It's a VLX, not sure which engine, but I'm sure it would be EFI. He didn't say if it had P Pass, but I'll try to load a couple of pics of the dash and you can tell me what you see. The pic shows 3 main round gauges with what looks like speedo center, tach right, and tach or something else left of the same size as the rest. Could any auto shop run a diagnostic, or would I have to take it to a Malibu dealer to get the hours off the engine computer?

Thanks

It's a VLX, not sure which engine, but I'm sure it would be EFI. He didn't say if it had P Pass, but I'll try to load a couple of pics of the dash and you can tell me what you see. The pic shows 3 main round gauges with what looks like speedo center, tach right, and tach or something else left of the same size as the rest. Could any auto shop run a diagnostic, or would I have to take it to a Malibu dealer to get the hours off the engine computer?

Thanks

The multigauge should be on the left. Post some pics and someone here will help you out.

If the tach was pulled to make room for ppass, just get a tach from your dealer to borrow and plug it into the harness at the dash and it will display the correct hours.

No it won't, on those era boats the hours were stored on the gauge, the newer boats (04+) pull it off the ECM.

If the boat is a VLX then it has EFI standard. You can have pretty much any marine mechanic pull the hours off the ECM - I would not buy a boat without doing this even if there is a gauge on the dash.

-Chris

No it won't, on those era boats the hours were stored on the gauge, the newer boats (04+) pull it off the ECM.

If the boat is a VLX then it has EFI standard. You can have pretty much any marine mechanic pull the hours off the ECM - I would not buy a boat without doing this even if there is a gauge on the dash.

-Chris

Well the change in 04 was to the newer gauge but the old design hourmeter, I'm almost certain, was also just a "display". A lot of people would be disconnecting their tachs if they could stop the clock. Plus we had a 2000 wakesetter that ppass went in, and then came out, and I'm 99% sure that I recall the gauge reading the correct hours. But, I have been wrong before, and will be again. READ: OP, ask your dealer.

I had an 04 with 1300 hours...hours were the same on ethe ECM and the hour metetr, any other gauge system besides a direct read off the ECM would of had some delta between the two. My 05 had a new ECM put in it and the gauge went to 0 hours. Had an 03 Response where the ECM was changed (man I have bad luck with ECM's), hours did not change.

I also remember some happy customers who had new gauges put in their 2000 ish era boats who were very happy with their 0 hour gauge..until we told them the engine computer stores the true run hours on the boat.

So to the OP, take it to a dealer have the hours pulled if you are serious about the boat. But also question the service history, specifically any engine comptuer (ECM) replacement.

-Chris