Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak vs. Fiberglass Platforms

WakeGirl

Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?  

776 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?

• Teak, I love that classic look
    • Fiberglass all the way

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• areamike

• footnlongline

Teak, all day, every day. I just saw this link and went out and oiled my teak platform in 10 minutes. It looks great. The only reason for crazy sand, restore projects is the lack of the will to spend 10-20 minutes oiling it couple times a year. Teak is a hard wood that we may not have the benefit of using for like 20 years from now until it goes extinct, so I'll stick with teak as long as I can buy it at a reasonable price. Maybe I'm old school, but the choice between teak and glass isn't a real choice, imho. Its like choosing between cheap chinese crap at wal-mart and real nautical craftsmanship.

Edited by jjackkrash
Teak, all day, every day. I just saw this link and went out and oiled my teak platform in 10 minutes. It looks great. The only reason for crazy sand, restore projects is the lack of the will to spend 10-20 minutes oiling it couple times a year. Teak is a hard wood that we may not have the benefit of using for like 20 years from now until it goes extinct, so I'll stick with teak as long as I can buy it at a reasonable price. Maybe I'm old school, but the choice between teak and glass isn't a real choice, imho. Its like choosing between cheap chinese crap at wal-mart and real nautical craftsmanship.

Plus1.gif Looks so good! No chips or cracks if you bump it.

on our 2007 the silver started to come off

our dealer, the wonderful WaterSki America in Dallas, warrantied it and replaced it with the 2008 pad

no more slick!

love it

I'm in 2 worlds now haha. I like the fibreglass for the fact its deeper, so I dont have to balance as much when i'm doing up binding on wakeboard, the teak isn't anywhere near as deep....

• 1 month later...

I had teak for 8 years and now have glass on my new boat. I love the glass one (the pad feels so good on the knees - also we surf off the platform and the rubber pad holds the surfboard - on the teak one the board would slip sometimes when the boat leaned over. I should of changed my teak one years ago.

• 1 month later...

wow, I find that remark a bit senseless...

If maintenance isn't that big a deal, the only reason I see going for one or the other is looks. No way would teak look good on ours, so we went with the glass... not because we wanted cheap chinese crap from wal-mart

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
yes indeed... but that on a wakesetter..... Vomit.gif No thanks!!

True true - I guess my vote is teak on the classic towboats, and fiberglass on the newer ones. I feel the same way when thinking about a fiberglass platform on my boat.

• 4 weeks later...
Teak only for me. I just refinished my deck and think teak is a beautiful wood.

Teak3.jpg

Nice looking swim platform ... 20 years old?

Yep. It doesn't look like it, but if you take care of it it sure lasts. Hopefully for another 20! Thumbup.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll try and get some pics this weekend, but we are just starting our 2nd season with a '93 Malibu Skier, which has a teak platform. When we bought the boat in October 2007, the platform was gray. In our rush to get the boat into the water last year, we used it as is. I just sanded it, and re-finished it with a Teak Oil made by a company called "Patco", which I got at the local hardware store, and man, did that bring up the finish!!!

Pics to follow.

i like teak, always have.

grab some oil, a six pack and turn on the tunes....

X2 My deck looked like hell when I bought my bu.A bit of tlc and the look of teak is next to none.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love my '08 Fiberglas platform!

Just saw another LXi recently with similar color scheme to mine and the old fashioned teak looks out of place to me on such a modern looking boat.

My platform is only slippery after I do my maintenance (20 seconds putting 303 on it). Once it been in the water for a few hours the slipperiness is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody out there looking to get rid of their teak swim deck? I am looking to replace the fiberglass one I have on my 04 Wakesetter VLX. The rubber on the swim deck is leaving black marks all over my upholstery and everybody's feet. Besides, teak just looks better. My buddy has a new MC X-star with a teak swim teak. That thing is gorgeous.

Anybody out there looking to get rid of their teak swim deck? I am looking to replace the fiberglass one I have on my 04 Wakesetter VLX. The rubber on the swim deck is leaving black marks all over my upholstery and everybody's feet. Besides, teak just looks better. My buddy has a new MC X-star with a teak swim teak. That thing is gorgeous.

I'd be willing to trade my teak platform for a FG but I doubt they'd interchange (anyone know for sure??). I don't mind the teak but I'd prefer FG. It would probably need to be red though...

Ed

Teak only for me. I just refinished my deck and think teak is a beautiful wood.

Teak3.jpg

Nice looking swim platform ... 20 years old?

Teak for sure.. shows a little old school class. Thumbup.gif