Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak vs. Fiberglass Platforms

WakeGirl

Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?  

776 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?

• Teak, I love that classic look
    • Fiberglass all the way

I like the fiberglass platforms 100X better than the teak for a number of reasons.

100X Better? then surely you have a 100 reasons? Tease2.gif

wakeboarders are 100X lazier than skiers?

I love the teak, I'd love to see how some of these FG platforms look in 5 or 10 years.

-Chris

It's got to be better than the worn out look of the teak after a season.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• areamike

• WakeGirl

I like the fiberglass platforms 100X better than the teak for a number of reasons.

I love the teak, I'd love to see how some of these FG platforms look in 5 or 10 years.

-Chris

OUCH, man.

Nothing compares to the feeling of stepping back and admiring your work after re-treating your teak. Great satisfaction.

Year after year after year after year after year. I bet, I've got better things to spend my time on.

-Chris

OUCH, man.

Nothing compares to the feeling of stepping back and admiring your work after re-treating your teak. Great satisfaction.

Year after year after year after year after year. I bet, I've got better things to spend my time on.

yup...after years of satisfaction....still satisfied! Cheers.gif

I guess I just prefer the refined look of the fiberglass compared to the crusty teak look. Had a teak on my last boat and never again.

-Chris

It's easy to refinish a weathered teak platform, even one that has been neglected for its entire life (I am working on a 7 year old one now, guy never touched it). However try and fix a beat up fiberglass one and you better be good with gelcoat.

Besides the masses have spoken, teak by 10 points in the poll.

-Chris

It's easy to refinish a weathered teak platform, even one that has been neglected for its entire life (I am working on a 7 year old one now, guy never touched it). However try and fix a beat up fiberglass one and you better be good with gelcoat.

Looks like those with older boats and those with ski boats perfer the teak.

-Chris

Looks like those with older boats and those with ski boats perfer the teak.

that seems to be the case.

Teak don't spend much time on it I just don't let it go. I give it a coat of oil two or three times a year. It take about ten minutes. I do it when I know it will be a day or so be for I drop it back in the water. I don't even take it out just brush a coat on well its on the lift.

No stress cracks, no chips, and looks rich.

post-2931-1210194836_thumb.jpg

I guess I just prefer the refined look of the fiberglass compared to the crusty teak look. Had a teak on my last boat and never again.

HA HA, Although I cant say I agree with this statement, I admire it for it's simple brilliance. I would hire you in a instant ROFL.gif

Its as easy as what looks better on the boat u have I would go with fiberglass cause i think it looks much more nicer with th bu logo

Its as easy as what looks better on the boat u have I would go with fiberglass cause i think it looks much more nicer with th bu logo

on the boat me have teak look much more nicer

Yeah, my crusty teak looks like crap!

teak_final.jpg

teak_under_done.jpg

teak_final.jpg

teak_under_done.jpg

Hey, dont beat yourself up, it's not THAT bad.

Showing the teak refinish process is as interesting as showing your toes after a fresh clipping. Stop the insanity. The teak is nice for one reason- it doesn't track the black crap back in the boat on your vinyl(although they may have finally solved it on the 2008's). Besides that, it's a pain the the A**. It looks fine and all, but takes a ton of upkeep, and you all seemed convinced that by taking the time and the pride to do it that it's worth it. There's 100 things you'd rather be doing than re-teaking your crusty old grey platform on any given day. It looks good for about 2 weeks when you're done, but it has to be done a lot.

I'll start the 100 things you'd rather do thread now, and see how quick we get there...

1. Drink beer

2. Drink wine

3. Alone time with the wife

4. Drink the wife's beer

5. Hang out in a garage and laugh at your buddy re-teaking his platform while you drink beer.

Take the time you spend re-teaking, multiply by the minimum wage, and you can buy a new fiberglass one every 5 years.

I have had three with Teak and three with Glassed. While I like the look of wood, It HAS to be Fresh. And That takes time and energy.... The Glass is a better look fit / finish wise, and is just as e3asy to get out the nicks because you have to wet sand/polish those too......just only when they appear not 2 or 3 times a season.

Showing the teak refinish process is as interesting as showing your toes after a fresh clipping. Stop the insanity. The teak is nice for one reason- it doesn't track the black crap back in the boat on your vinyl(although they may have finally solved it on the 2008's). Besides that, it's a pain the the A**. It looks fine and all, but takes a ton of upkeep, and you all seemed convinced that by taking the time and the pride to do it that it's worth it. There's 100 things you'd rather be doing than re-teaking your crusty old grey platform on any given day. It looks good for about 2 weeks when you're done, but it has to be done a lot.

I'll start the 100 things you'd rather do thread now, and see how quick we get there...

1. Drink beer

2. Drink wine

4. Drink the wife's beer

5. Hang out in a garage and laugh at your buddy re-teaking his platform while you drink beer.

Take the time you spend re-teaking, multiply by the minimum wage, and you can buy a new fiberglass one every 5 years.

6. Id rather be drinking my buddies beer on the lake

7. In party cove checking out the hotties on my boat

8. Id even rather be burning $3.83 gas on the lake than re-teaking my platform !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Doing it once & it's a craft. But make me do it over & over? It's a chore.

If mine had looked like Mike's, yea, I'd be all over it.

But mine wa 10 yrs old & looked like he11. I don't want this one to end up like it.

post-821-1212219237_thumb.jpg

1. Drink beer

2. Drink wine

4. Drink the wife's beer

6. Id rather be drinking my buddies beer on the lake

7. In party cove checking out the hotties on my boat

8. Id even rather be burning $3.83 gas on the lake than re-teaking my platform !!!

$3.83 a gallon? Dude, that is so last week $4.17 is good this week

teak_final.jpg

teak_under_done.jpg

I agree 100% Tongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...

My boat is in the water for the season and refinishing the teak is a pain I choose not to go through in mid season. Based on that if I was buying new I would buy a glass platform. It isn't worth the price of switching for me though.

• 1 month later...
I love how much grip there is with the fiberglass/rubber top. Plus I don't have to worry about staining it every other month.

I am all for low maintenance. Fiberglass all the way. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Our Malibu dealer had a big customer appreciation, raftup party last weekend. We had like 20 boats tied up, side by side, and had multiple opportunities to walk over the various swimsteps. The slick rubber mats were the worst & multiple people slipped & fell. The teak swimsteps were terrible too with several people slipping on my own swimstep...... that I have NEVER oiled!

The only Malibu swimsteps that were not slippery were either old dead teak or had a hard rubber mat from about 4 or 5 years ago. No idea why they don't go with that type surface more often.

While the teak looks fantastic, I just don't need a classic piece of furniture on my boat. I need something that is safe, clean & usable.

post-821-1218817345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I don't know about others but the hard rubber mat on my 06' fiberglass is not slick at all. However it was quite the opposite on my last boat with the teak platform. If it wasn't slick it looked like @$$..

Edited by 06vlx

This is the one we've had so many problems with. I've personally replaced like 5 or 6 of them for other boat owners. Many people find them slick, and track black stuff in their boats after walking on it when it's wet. And I guess wakeboard & waterski fins cut it pretty easily.

FigerglassSwimstep_B.jpg