Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak vs. Fiberglass Platforms

WakeGirl

Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?  

776 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you prefer on your Malibu?

• Teak, I love that classic look
    • Fiberglass all the way

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• areamike

• WakeGirl

• 2 weeks later...

My FG Platform is quite slippery. I fell off of it in the water once this summer, and in the parking lot once. I prefer to fall into the water.

So far no problem with tracking black stuff into the boat. Hope mine doesn't start that.

I like the black padding, especially the malibu logo in it. Just gotta remember that it gets slippery.

I don't have the time for any maintenance I can avoid. No teak for me.

My FG Platform is quite slippery. I fell off of it in the water once this summer, and in the parking lot once. I prefer to fall into the water.

So far no problem with tracking black stuff into the boat. Hope mine doesn't start that.

I like the black padding, especially the malibu logo in it. Just gotta remember that it gets slippery.

I don't have the time for any maintenance I can avoid. No teak for me.

They changed the slippery rubber for '08. Much better now. I also busted my butt on my '07!

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone want to trade my teak swimstep for a fiberglass one?

I can't stand taking care of the teak. I know all you guys think it's so easy. But I've had them before & know just how easy it is.

So I have a teak swimstep from an 05 vRide, in good shape, good color, stored in doors most of it's life from what I can tell.

What I want is a blue, black or white fiberglass swimstep in good shape from a similar boat.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
The fiberglass platform i think looks better, and takes less work to keep looking good.

I did a 12hr refurb job on my teak platform (previous owner had polyurethaned it !!) and it was a big job but now that it's looking great it's only 10mins twice per year to re oil it with tung oil. Applying wax to a fibreglass platform would take similar longer time

before

before.jpg

during

sanded.jpg

beginprimineoil.jpg

after

after.jpg

I'm with Big D, with wake specific boats- fiberglass is the only way to go. If I had my ski specific boat still, I would go with the teak. Rockon.gif By the way, UK exile great- job on the teak platform. It looks awsome!!!!

Edited by bu2007vlx
I'm with Big D, with wake specific boats- fiberglass is the only way to go. If I had my ski specific boat still, I would go with the teak.

Never thought of it that way but it makes sense.With boards you're always standing on the fins and would tend to dent the teak but with skis your fin never touches the platform so they stay looking great

Have heard some very high end skiers never oil their platform as worried about tiny transfer of oil effecting ski performance. For me whom is unlikely to ever get past say 32 off doubt it will ever effect me. But I did test it and a hard rub down with brand new white cloth I can't get any oil to transfer so think my ski is safe.

And thanks for the compliment Biggrin.gif

uk, what tung oil do you use? I guess teak oil is just that, plus some lemon oil?

I keep mine pretty decent, pic below, but am always interested to learn what works for others.

post-30-1194741855_thumb.jpg

Edited by VinRLX
uk, what tung oil do you use? I guess teak oil is just that, plus some lemon oil?

I keep mine pretty decent, pic below, but am always interested to learn what works for others.

post-30-1194741855_thumb.jpg

I used this priming oil

http://www.endeavourmarinetimberfinishes.c...ngoil_aunz.html

because if was effectively from new

and then the matching finishing oil

http://www.endeavourmarinetimberfinishes.c...ngoil_aunz.html

From now on I'll only need to reapply the finishing oil once or twice per year. Dead easy to just rub on with cloth, leave 10mins then rub off excess with another cloth. Feels great on feet is isn't at all slippery. Water doesn't seem to bead on it which suprised me.

• 1 month later...

very simple fellas. You scratch the fiberglass platform putting the board on, you can buff but the scratches will be there when you put it in the water. Teak you scratch it, you sand reteak and your good. Teak all the way for me.

• 3 months later...

Put on a Sky Ski while on a Fiberglass with the hard rubrail platform, and it makes a mess of your leading edge of your T bar on the foil. I prefer my teak for this reason. I also take my platform off everytime I get home to put boat in garage and teak is lighter so I am told.DSC02124.jpg

I'm changing the coffee table in the living room to fiberglass based on the kind of living room sports we do.

When its time to get new tires for my tahoe I think that Im going to put me on a set of those old pioneer wagon wheels..... give my ride that classic look. HAHA Crazy.gif

• 1 month later...
I'm changing the coffee table in the living room to fiberglass based on the kind of living room sports we do.

When its time to get new tires for my tahoe I think that Im going to put me on a set of those old pioneer wagon wheels..... give my ride that classic look. HAHA Crazy.gif

Hey good idea, while your at it why don't you remove the wood grain accents and replace them with FG accents. FG crown mold in the dining room...... huh huh, cool bro, fliipin sweet!! ...... FG stairs in the foyer would be sick and no maintenance to boot!

I like the fiberglass platforms 100X better than the teak for a number of reasons.

100X Better? then surely you have a 100 reasons? Tease2.gif

wakeboarders are 100X lazier than skiers?

I love the teak, I'd love to see how some of these FG platforms look in 5 or 10 years.

-Chris

I like the fiberglass platforms 100X better than the teak for a number of reasons.

100X Better? then surely you have a 100 reasons? Tease2.gif

wakeboarders are 100X lazier than skiers?

I love the teak, I'd love to see how some of these FG platforms look in 5 or 10 years.

-Chris

OUCH, man.

Nothing compares to the feeling of stepping back and admiring your work after re-treating your teak. Great satisfaction.