Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas in the oil & oil filter

I just pulled my 98 Sunsetter out of storage for the summer and when changing the oil I quickly noticed it had gas in it. I changed the oil, ran it, and again noticed gas in the oil. The engine is a Chevy EFI 350. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by apk

I had the same problem two or three summers ago with my sunsetter (TBI). It turned out to be a valve in the injector that stuck open. It would idle fine but after I would open it up and then slow down to idle again it ran terribly rough. It was dumping too much fuel in and would also leak down the cylinder walls into the bottom end of the motor.

I got very good at changing the oil until I figured out what was causing it.

I had the same problem two or three summers ago with my sunsetter (TBI). It turned out to be a valve in the injector that stuck open. It would idle fine but after I would open it up and then slow down to idle again it ran terribly rough. It was dumping too much fuel in and would also leak down the cylinder walls into the bottom end of the motor.

I got very good at changing the oil until I figured out what was causing it.

Min e seems to be running fine, idle and on plane. How did you find which injector?

Start by pulling spark plugs. The one that is full of black carbon is running too rich. I would check the injector in that cylinder. You can also hook up a fuel pressure guage and turn off the engine. It should hold pressure (35-40psi) when engine is not running. If it bleeds down in a minute or two you have an injector leaking. Once you find the bad injector and switch it out you need to change the oil again to get the gas out of the oil before you wash out a cylinder wall, or worse bearings. Also change the spark plugs as it is most likely gas fouled.

Do you physically see a rising oil level, or do you just smell fuel in the oil. IE, how much volume are we talking about? I don't know how your motor is set up, but if you have a mechanical fuel pressure regulator with a rubber diaphragm, you should check that diaphragm for cracks or holes. I had a motor once (in a car) that would siphon fuel out of the tank after you stopped the motor. It would go through the diaphragm and right into the intake. I was seeing quarts of fuel in the oil, not drops.