Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swing-Away Trailer Tongue

2 ThumbsUp

Looking to install a swing-away tongue on my tandem axle SMP trailer. Thought there was a post on this topic sometime ago on MBO, but was unable to locate it.

I checked out Pivot Hitch, but their pricing is about the same as the quotes I have received from a few local trailer shops.

Has anyone done this modification yourself? If so, where did you purchase the kit?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'd have a pro do it, unless you are a welder or ironworker (for obvious safety reasons, if not for your own safety for the rest of us...). Definately use the Pivot Hitch parts. Extreme does. So did my old Sport Boats trailer IIRC. Though I'm sure a welding shop could make up something to do the trick if they had some pics to go by.

Pat

I've got a unused PivitHitch kit I'd be interested in selling. I don't need it since it fits in the garage without the kit and we're putting the boat in storage anyways now and it'll not need the kit their either. I'll measure the dimensions tomorrow if anyone is interested. It's brand new, never used. I'd like to recoup most of my cost so an offer over $200 would by nice. Anyone interested send me a PM.

I took my trailer down to SMP just south of the TN Malibu plant and had them do it. Best decision I ever made!!! They installed the factory swing-away tongue kit, and color matched the paint. It was like $250 to have them do it, plus gas for the truck and a 1 night hotel stay. Money well spent! I drove down on a Sunday, got up when SMP opened and dropped the trailer off, and was on my way back home by noon or 1pm. If you haven't been to the Malibu factory, you could do that while you're waiting on the trailer to get done. Let me know if you need any more information or want pics of it.

JV

Looks like there is no welding involved on the Pivit Hitch set-up. Visiting the SMP plant would be a 1,000 mile round trip from St. Louis...so not real excited about a trip like that.

Anyone else use a set-up other than Pivit Hitch?

My SMP has a "Pull Out Tongue." You simply pull 2 pins and the tongue slides out and sits on the floor. Might be an easier mod than the swing away.

Love the avatar 2thumbs!

I had a friend of a freind do it in his backyard shop and i am really happy with the work. I am a little too far away from you though. good luck.

wilma

I was thinking about tackling this project myself last year. I've got a buddy who's a wiz with a welder. I emailed Owen at Boatmate at the time, he quoted me $117 for all the parts (paint not included), or $412 if I wanted him to do it for me. I haven't done it yet, as my boat fits in the garage without it. But the extra space sure would be nice.

Here's the pivot-hitch kit I got, but never installed. If 2ThumbsUp doesn't want it I'll post it for sale in the proper forums later this week. I've been meaning to for a while now. It was something like $300 direct from PivotHitch.

I measured 4.07" x 3.15" inside dimensions at the narrowest points using calipers.

Here are some photos of everything in the package:

Photo1

Photo2

Photo3

Cheers,

Bryan

I don't need it since it fits in the garage without the kit and we're putting the boat in storage anyways now and it'll not need the kit their either.

What is this business about putting the boat away in storage now? In Texas? We'll still be going up here in Oregon for another 3 or 4 months.

Go with the Pivot, I've had a trailer with the pullout & it's a pain when compared with the Pivot.  For that price it's worth it.

I would agree here as well. I had a trailer with the pullout and it was a big heavy pain to deal with. The swing away is much nicer.

How about a bigger garage?

What is this business about putting the boat away in storage now?

We have kept our boat at Table Rock Lake in the past, but with two kids in school and all the after-school activities, we decided to haul the bu back to STL. We can day-trip from here and will put many more hours on it here post-Labor Day than we ever did when keeping the boat at Table Rock.

What is this business about putting the boat away in storage now?  In Texas?  We'll still be going up here in Oregon for another 3 or 4 months.

Secured storage AT the lake! So I don't have to unwrap/unlock/prep/tow (and reverse) every time we go 20miles to the lake. It's an improvement, not mothballing. Besides... I ski year round.

What is this business about putting the boat away in storage now?  In Texas?  We'll still be going up here in Oregon for another 3 or 4 months.

Secured storage AT the lake! So I don't have to unwrap/unlock/prep/tow (and reverse) every time we go 20miles to the lake. It's an improvement, not mothballing. Besides... I ski year round.

OK, that's better. I was starting to think you were a bunch of wimps down there in TX. Biggrin.gif

OK, that's better. I was starting to think you were a bunch of wimps down there in TX. Biggrin.gif

Perish the thought.....no wimps around here. At least until the water gets below 60.

Edited by stusumm