Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift - left or right side of dock?

thinkwater

Hello. I have recently purchased an 06 Sunscape. I would appreciate any advice on whether there are any docking advantages to placing my lift on the right or left side of my dock when looking from the water towards the shoreline. Many thanks.

If the lift is on the right side of the dock, then the port side of the boat up against the dock while your at the lift. Seems like that would be the best place to load people & gear.

I'd also think that would make docking easier by having the left side of the dock exposed, you'd have an easier time "pulling" the rear towards the dock with reverse. I always try and dock on the left side of a dock for that reason.

With the lift it doesn't matter as much, but the loading and unloading would be a little easier from that side.

MalibuNation

I have dock on the far west side of my property. Then I have my boat lift and I have it so the wheel to raise and lower the boat is at the shallower end of my dock ... my dock is much more stable the shallower it is. Also that way I enter my boat from the passenger side which I find easier.

But the number one reason I went this way is this saves the best part of my beach for swimming.

If the lift is on the right side of the dock, then the port side of the boat up against the dock while your at the lift. Seems like that would be the best place to load people & gear.

I agree. Also, having the lift on the right side would allow for the natural pull of the stern to the right (away from the dock)when backing off of the lift.

I have mine on the left side but the lift is out be beyond the end of the dock. It gives the best swimming area open to the dock and lets you jump off the dock and swim back to shore without going around the boat.