Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission fluid in '94 Echelon

Looks like counterclock wise turn and you can pull stick out of trans to see level and condition.

Any idea what ATF this uses...or is it a 80-90W gear oil? Just no dang manual for it...so relying on this site for info.

I have used ATF DEXRON III / MERCON ATF in the past but some people are going to synthetics. I have some amsoil that I plan to use when I change mine next.

Are you running a Merc with a Borg Warner trans?

Is the fluid in it red or golden/brown? The previous owner might have changed it or put the wrong stuff in.

I don't have my manual here but mine calls for some tractor hydraulic fluid. But what's in mine is red. I think the previous owner changed to trans fuid. I researched it when I got it but haven't had to mess with it. I think the consensus was dexron III.

call a reputable dealer

I have a '93 Echelon LX and when I bought it, it had hydraulic oil in it (golden/brown). After running the boat for several years with no problems I decied to change the oil. The dealer said to switch to Dex III. To do this I pumped out all the oil I could with a brake bleeder and replaced with Dex III. I started the boat and ran it a few minuted and changed the oil again. I think I did this 3 or 4 times to get any contamination out and it has still run great ever since.

Hmm...OK...will have to check color...familiar with both types. Odd to hear can go from one to other.

One more of a lubricant...the other (Dexron) both lubricant as well as pressure related...

would be surprised if any valve bodies in these velvet drives since only F/N/R...so would think gear lube (hydraulic) would be more appropriate.

But might call bigger dealers in Chicago NW suburbs to see what they say.

It does have the Mercruiser 350 engine...