Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to Ground when Jump Starting

Probably a dumb question, but when jump starting a boat, where do you connect the negative clamp from the boat you are getting power from? When jump starting a car you would connect to something metal other than the battery post. Just curious...someone had to jump start me a couple of weekends ago. For some reason, even though I have two batteries with a relay switch, I ran down my boat battery. Didnt have my battery pack with me, and luckily someone at ski beach was able to jump start me. I was in my boat, so I didnt see where they hooked the negative cable.

Thanks!

Over the years I've heard every which way school of thought on this. The bottom line is that you want a good negative. The reason for clamping the block on a car is in case the negative terminal is corroded. But the batter & the engine on most any boat is 5' - 12' apart. So make sure all the terminals are clean & use the negative post.

Yeah,

In this situation, like Bill said, any ground spot is gonna be far away from the pos. post of the battery so, I'd just connect both jumper wires to the battery's two posts. It's not that big a deal.

The reason you usually want to connect the neg. cable to something metal and not the battery is because every time you connect the second of the two cables, its going to spark. You don't really want any sparks on top of your battery. But, that's only if you're running old skool wet cell batts. which most people on here don't. I do.

Yeah,

In this situation, like Bill said, any ground spot is gonna be far away from the pos. post of the battery so, I'd just connect both jumper wires to the battery's two posts. It's not that big a deal.

The reason you usually want to connect the neg. cable to something metal and not the battery is because every time you connect the second of the two cables, its going to spark. You don't really want any sparks on top of your battery. But, that's only if you're running old skool wet cell batts. which most people on here don't. I do.

+1........the negative goes on a good spot away from battery to prevent the battery from exploding. There is a chance that Hydrogen gas is present around the battery. Blowup.gif