Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 LSV 383 Hammerhead Acme Prop Results

rustie

Ok guys....

I was pleasantly surprised, because I was told that the new style CNC Acme 1273 (14.5 D x 14.25 P x .150 cup) would be great for acceleration, but that my top speed would be limited to 40mph with my 383 HH.

They were absolutely right about the acceleration (it was really impressive)...and with completely filled center, left and right ballast tanks, top speed registered at 45mph (depending on how accurate the OEM speedo is). Wish I had used the GPS in our iPhone to check the speedo accuracy, but I don't think it's 5 mph off (or so I hope).

At the same time (also with completely filled center, left and right ballast tanks), top RPM was showing a steady 5250.

With all ballast tanks emptied, top speed jumped only one MPH to 46mph, and RPM changed slightly to 5280....which makes total sense with a low-gear, "acceleration prop" (large area, low pitch). All in all....it was better than I expected..... Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif

With my 1235 prop, my top speed is now 38 MPH. I can only hit the rev limiter when the boat is nearly empty of people and ballast. With the stock prop, empty boat, the top speed was 40 MPH. I would be surprised if you could crack 40 with a GPS. The boat speedo is not very linear at all. I have set it with a GPS to be spot on at 22 MPH, but it is several MPH's off at top end.

383 Hammerhead in a 2006 247.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok guys....

I was pleasantly surprised, because I was told that the new style CNC Acme 1273 (14.5 D x 14.25 P x .150 cup) would be great for acceleration, but that my top speed would be limited to 40mph with my 383 HH.

They were absolutely right about the acceleration (it was really impressive)...and with completely filled center, left and right ballast tanks, top speed registered at 45mph (depending on how accurate the OEM speedo is). Wish I had used the GPS in our iPhone to check the speedo accuracy, but I don't think it's 5 mph off (or so I hope).

At the same time (also with completely filled center, left and right ballast tanks), top RPM was showing a steady 5250.

With all ballast tanks emptied, top speed jumped only one MPH to 46mph, and RPM changed slightly to 5280....which makes total sense with a low-gear, "acceleration prop" (large area, low pitch). All in all....it was better than I expected..... Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Hey

Just wondering what prop you were using before that you weren't very happy with?

We have a 07 247 LSV and we just bent our 381 prop. We are looking for some more out of the hole pop. What prop should we be looking at to replace it with?

8.1L

40%Wake boarding

10% wake surfing

40% cruising mid speed

10% cruising high speed

Stock mls bags

Elevation :1500 feet

usually have 4-8 people on board

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Derk

Rustie, what was your top speed on your boat with the old prop, which I assume was your original one??? Also how much did you pay for your new prop?

Top speed isn't a huge deal to me, but I do like to cruise at 40 from here to there. I don't do much faster than that after seeing a gas consumption graph someone once posted showing what happens with the Hammerheads after 40 MPH.

Rustie, what was your top speed on your boat with the old prop, which I assume was your original one??? Also how much did you pay for your new prop?

Well actually, I don't know. The boat came with a Acme 537, but it had a slightly tweaked blade (road damage) from my long drive back to SoCal from TN which took 4 days. So while I had the 537 repaired, I took the advice of Brian at Valley Prop in Ventura and slid on a new 1273 (bout $450). Has LOTS of outa the hole grunt, but I never tried my LSV with the 537...which is now repaired and ready to slap back on should anything happen to the 1273. So, the 537 is now a spare in one of those cool Acme prop bags (with all the tools).

Edited by rustie
We have a 07 247 LSV and we just bent our 381 prop. We are looking for some more out of the hole pop. What prop should we be looking at to replace it with?

8.1L

Naw....you wouldn't want to use a 1273 nor 537 on a big block. At 425HP and more torque, you can pull more pitch than a 400HP HH can. Diameters will likely be similar though. Contact Brian at 805-644-5055 and see what he recommends. You could always call Acme too. I did, and they said the same thing that Brian did about the 1273 for my HH (good for hole shots and heavy/high drag loads). One or both will dial you in.....

Edited by rustie

8.1L

Naw....you wouldn't want to use a 1273 nor 537 on a big block. At 425HP and more torque, you can pull more pitch than a 400HP HH can. Diameters will likely be similar though. Contact Brian at 805-644-5055 and see what he recommends. You could always call Acme too. I did, and they said the same thing that Brian did about the 1273 for my HH (good for hole shots and heavy/high drag loads). One or both will dial you in.....

I called Acme and they had suggested the 1591 prop for our application. Anyone else out there with this prop? How much did your top end drop?

Specs:

http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

1591 14.00 16.00 .135 cup 4 1 1/8" LH

Edited by derkconnor
Ok guys....

Hey

Just wondering what prop you were using before that you weren't very happy with?

8.1L

40%Wake boarding

10% wake surfing

40% cruising mid speed

10% cruising high speed

Stock mls bags

Elevation :1500 feet

usually have 4-8 people on board

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Derk

I have a 2004 23LSV with the 8.1l and use the OJ 14.25 X 14.5 and you will not be dissapointed. Go to this LINK and take a look at their products. I spoke with Eric and he really knows his product well.

-Dave