Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

evolution or rankin owners- question about cleat openings

davemac

(first off, this is my 100th post, so I am a little afraid my title will convert from "boot lube applier" to "squid" or something)....Anyway, I recently took delivery of a beautiful Evolution Cover, which I am very pleased with. I have pop-up cleats located above the rub rail, and am considering having the cover modified locally w/ openings to accomodate if needing lines attached to the cleats while cover on.

Anyone with something similar (...photos would be appreciated). Is it best to just have a "cut-out" made for the cleat? If so , any concerns over water accumulating over rub rail?

Other options...such as having a separate piece of material acting as a "flap" that can be velcro-ed down if trailering w/ cover on?

As always...thanks for the useful input.

Dave

(edit for PS- I think I'd rather apply boot lube, than polish trailers)

Edited by davemac
(first off, this is my 100th post, so I am a little afraid my title will convert from "boot lube applier" to "squid" or something)....Anyway, I recently took delivery of a beautiful Evolution Cover, which I am very pleased with. I have pop-up cleats located above the rub rail, and am considering having the cover modified locally w/ openings to accomodate if needing lines attached to the cleats while cover on.

Anyone with something similar (...photos would be appreciated). Is it best to just have a "cut-out" made for the cleat? If so , any concerns over water accumulating over rub rail?

Other options...such as having a separate piece of material acting as a "flap" that can be velcro-ed down if trailering w/ cover on?

As always...thanks for the useful input.

Dave

(edit for PS- I think I'd rather apply boot lube, than polish trailers)

trailer polisher Tease2.gif - If you find the right upholstery shop, they will have done cut outs for cleats before. If you find someone that specializes in boats they should know how. When I moored with the (Evolution) cover, I tied off to the bow eye and a stern eye, no need to spend $$ on modifications for the number of times I will moor with the cover on.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Make sure that the shop that you take it to will have name brand Sunbrella. If they use a generic no-name brand, the flaps may not match up quite right. It may be worth contacting Cory to get a little extra material to have it done right. Did you get the gas filler cutouts? I had that on the last cover & it was soooooo nice to not have to undo the cover each time to fill up. :)

Make sure that the shop that you take it to will have name brand Sunbrella. If they use a generic no-name brand, the flaps may not match up quite right. It may be worth contacting Cory to get a little extra material to have it done right. Did you get the gas filler cutouts? I had that on the last cover & it was soooooo nice to not have to undo the cover each time to fill up. :)

Honestly, I totally forgot about needing cut-outs when I ordered. So.,..

- should all of the cutouts have a flap that goes over them?

-.and should there be velcro so that they don't flap in the wind?

- any drawbacks to having the cutouts?

I just bought an evolution cover for my Response with plans to add cut-outs. In the end I realized I did not need cut outs because, 1. the cover does not go over the tow hooks on the stern so I am good to connect there, 2. in front my cleats are at the same spot as my tower leg so I can just unzip a bit and connect

I too have an Evolution cover but I don't really have a need for cut outs for the pop-up cleats as I rarely keep the boat in the water overnight. Have you though about sending it back to Cory to have it done correctly? I don't use the towing cover very much but I recently had to send my cover back to Cory because it needed about an inch more width in the bow portion to fit correct when towing to keep it from riding up over the rub rail. I sent it back to Cory and received it back within 7 days. Granted it was not cheap to ship the cover as I live in Missouri but is was worth it to have it fixed properly.

Have you though about sending it back to Cory to have it done correctly?

That would make far too much sense :Doh: (thanks for clearing my cobwebs). I suppose you wouldn't buy a Ferrari and bring it to Midas for service.

Still would appreciate any insight others may have regarding pros or cons of cutouts.

Cory does great work and provides great customer service. After I had a tree limb fall through the boat shelter and rip through the cover, I sent the cover to Cory for repair on a Monday and had it back, looking great, by that Friday. He didn't charge anything for the repair and it has held up perfectly over the past 2+ years.

Honestly, I totally forgot about needing cut-outs when I ordered. So.,..

- should all of the cutouts have a flap that goes over them?

-.and should there be velcro so that they don't flap in the wind?

- any drawbacks to having the cutouts?

Yes to the first 2. As far as drawbacks, as long as they're positioned & cut in correctly, I can't think of any. Cory can hook you up & it'll be done right, just talk with him first & he'll tell you how to mark the cover for him in terms of placement.

Having just gone through ordering a cover with Cory, he would prefer that you have the cover modified locally, as sizing and locating cutouts for cleats without the boat there is problematic. Additionally, every cover will stretch, so modifying a new cover for cleats will ultimately result in the cutouts being in the wrong place after a few uses.

His opinion (not that I'm trying to speak for him) is that it would be best to use the cover for a while to allow it to stretch, and then have a local upholstery shop modify it for cleat access if needed. That's not rocket science, so any decent canvas shop in your area will be able to install some velcro flaps over where the cleats go.

I just ordered a new cover from Commercial Sewing that works in a similar fashion to the Evolution and Rankin covers. It came with some really nice rubber inserts for the cleats. The inserts are made so that they pop into the cleat cutout and have a rubber flap that extends the circumference on the inside and outside of the cover. I'm having them sewn in next week by a local cover & upholstery guy. He said approx. $25 for the install! I said, the boat will be there Monday.

You might try calling them to see if you can get the inserts.

I just ordered a new cover from Commercial Sewing that works in a similar fashion to the Evolution and Rankin covers. It came with some really nice rubber inserts for the cleats. The inserts are made so that they pop into the cleat cutout and have a rubber flap that extends the circumference on the inside and outside of the cover. I'm having them sewn in next week by a local cover & upholstery guy. He said approx. $25 for the install! I said, the boat will be there Monday.

You might try calling them to see if you can get the inserts.

That sounds pretty cool. Anyway, to update my OP, I spoke to Cory...he was more than willing to add the cutouts, but felt that it would be easier for me to do locally (saving the coast to coast shipping x2 costs). More importantly, he was gracious enough to ship me matching material and velcro for the cutouts....which include a vinyl "tear proofing" to be stitched in around the openings.

Two thumbs up Thumbup.gif for Cory/Evolution....I particularly appreciated that he responded promptly to calls/ emails....a determining factor in my decision to go w/ him.

I too have an Evolution cover but I don't really have a need for cut outs for the pop-up cleats as I rarely keep the boat in the water overnight. Have you though about sending it back to Cory to have it done correctly? I don't use the towing cover very much but I recently had to send my cover back to Cory because it needed about an inch more width in the bow portion to fit correct when towing to keep it from riding up over the rub rail. I sent it back to Cory and received it back within 7 days. Granted it was not cheap to ship the cover as I live in Missouri but is was worth it to have it fixed properly.

My cover from Evolution also keeps riding up over the rub rail at the bow portion when towing. I thought I just had to live with that. My cover is a couple of years old. I was hoping over time it would stretch enough so it will not go over the rub rail.

My cover from Evolution also keeps riding up over the rub rail at the bow portion when towing. I thought I just had to live with that. My cover is a couple of years old. I was hoping over time it would stretch enough so it will not go over the rub rail.

The hooks are adjustable, you might be able to free up some tension by adjusting the hooks.

The hooks are adjustable, you might be able to free up some tension by adjusting the hooks.

What hooks are you referring to? I have hooks on each side of the boat that hook onto the rub rail. Nothing towards the front.

Thanks,

Gordon

There are no hooks at the front past the windshield (moving forward on the boat). The hooks start at the windshield & then are interspersed as you move back toward the transom. The bow is held in check only by the tension on the line & its ability to stay under the rubrail.

Gordon,

How does the rest of the cover fit? Is it really tight? Does the cord sit well below the rub rail from the windshield forward or are there any spots where it's "not quite there" & wants to ride up over the rub rail? Pics would help, but I think that I have an idea of what you're experiencing.

There are no hooks at the front past the windshield (moving forward on the boat). The hooks start at the windshield & then are interspersed as you move back toward the transom. The bow is held in check only by the tension on the line & its ability to stay under the rubrail.

Gordon,

How does the rest of the cover fit? Is it really tight? Does the cord sit well below the rub rail from the windshield forward or are there any spots where it's "not quite there" & wants to ride up over the rub rail? Pics would help, but I think that I have an idea of what you're experiencing.

Wakegirl,

The rest of the cover fits tight. However, the bow section fits really tight once I winch down on it. On the drivers side about 2 ft back from the nose is where the cord will come up over the rub rail while traveling. The cord does not sit much underneath the rub rail going towards the front. And I winch the cord down extremly tight to try to keep it from going over the rail.

If I took a picture, what would you like to see?

Thanks for your concern.

Gordon

I think that actually explains it pretty well. I have hands on experience with this particular issue unfortunately. Not Cory's fault, & it's not worth trying to explain. Anyway, you can try a couple of things.

The first, least aggressive thing that you can do is to put the cover on the boat, tight. Get the front wet, using a brush to force it will help (the long-handled ones that you use to wash an RV work well, also using warm water helps it to soak in better). Then with the help of someone else, you can stretch the cover from side to side at the point that it's not quite wide enough. Take your time & plan on spending some time at it, it takes a while & it takes strong hands/forearms. You'll need to use something to secure it, duct tape is one thing (it leaves a residue on the cover though & you may end up washing it after the fact to get it out). The idea is that you want to get it wet, stretch it where it needs to be stretched & let it dry in place (stretched out). That's why you need something to secure it.

A more aggressive method is to take the whole cover down to a laundromat & wash it in one of those huge, commercial machines. I used Woolite & I used so much that I ended up having to run it through a second time with no soap to get it all rinsed (a little goes a long way!). Cost me a total of $10. Anyway, bring it home & put it on the boat, tight & wet. Stretch that one area like I described above. If the cover fits tight to begin with, then you should have room to work with in terms of adjustment after the fact. This will stretch the whole cover though, so beware. It's a pretty aggressive measure. Ours fit so tight that we could get away with it.

If I were you, I think that I'd start with the first method & try that a few times to see if it will work it out. Once you stretch the whole thing, there's no going back & you'll have to have it altered to make it fit right again. So please beware. That's my big disclaimer. :) If you have any questions, I'm happy to try & answer.

Great Thanks, I will give that a try. After stretching the cover and securing with duct tape, do I tighten down the rope?

Tighten the cover down first (including the rope), that puts everything else in place & it will also keep the water out of the boat. Then go to the spot that needs adjustment & stretch stretch stretch. It won't be easy since the rope is so taught, that's where hand & arm strength comes in. :)