Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine sizes

robe39

I'am looking at a 07 vlx with the Indmar 320 hp engine. Is there a big difference between the Monsoon 340 Hp and the Indmar. Should I be holding out for a vlx with the Monsoon instead? Any help is appreciated. thx

I'am looking at a 07 vlx with the Indmar 320 hp engine. Is there a big difference between the Monsoon 340 Hp and the Indmar. Should I be holding out for a vlx with the Monsoon instead? Any help is appreciated. thx

about 20 hp! Whistling.gif

Jk, we have the monsoon 340 and it is plenty of power for our 23 lsv, i would say that if the boat has everything you need or want but the only thing that is holding you up is the engine size then go for it! You can reprop and get some more humph out of it if you need.

It can depend on where you are located, us high altitude guys require a little more HP. I love it when I take my boat to lower altitude, it runs like a bat out of hell! Biggrin.gif

Terry

I have a 320 in an 04 Wakesetter DD. There is plenty of power even when loaded wit ten teenagers and one rider, weadge down and bag full. Thumbup.gif

REW

320 is a bullet proof motor and the cats....still not in love with them. If the fumes are an issue buy some 90 deg turn downs.

I say if the price, options and colors are right, dont worry about the engine.

The 90 degree turn downs make no difference IME, the cats do & if there's a power loss because of them then I don't know where it is in the boats that I've driven. I'm completely sold on them & I'd hold out for them in a vdrive (not so sure I'd worry as much in a direct drive), again JMO. They may not be a huge difference for skiing/wakeboarding (or anything operating over 15mph), but they make a huge difference when surfing.

Slap an OJ 468 prop on that and grip and rip it!

Do you have some more information of the OJ 468? I may need to do just that next year as my kids get bigger and I work out a system to get some more ballest on the boat. I was thinking of strenghting the trunk and putting some weight in there, and/or in the ski lockers on the side of the boat. Any thoughts? This is a project for next winter so I still have some planning time.

REW

Hi, i bought a 2008 vlx with a 320 engine, i was supprised how it performed well. Plenty power.

It also has real power compared to my old direct drive (calabria pro comp).

You will not be disappointed about the 320. Buy.

Grtz, Roger

If its a great deal and all options just like you want, buy it. To me more than hp or emissions, my thoughts went to thinking resale might be lower due to the 320. however, you should be seeing a lower price now because of it as well.

If everything else is 100% what you want, IMO I would not let hp or emissions be a deal breaker unless your primary goal is a ton of surfing.

The 320 and 340 HP ratings are in my opinion fairly rough estimates. For example Indmar makes a 350 horse MCX, and 315 horse predator (or used to anyway). Are those the same motors and the 320 LCR and 340 monsoon which are branded specifically for Malibu, my guess is yes. So the difference in HP may be wider. It used to be that the LCR did not have the MOST advanced engine management software, although I'm not sure that's still the case. I drive an LCR and monsoon about the same amount. There is a noticeable difference, although power is critical in our application....must get to 36 in about 250 feet with skier, so we're almost wide open each start. If you're in a WB boat, then acceleration is probably less critical. Overall, the LCR has been a solid motor and we have no complaints, but it will not be mistaken for monsoon power.

I have the 320 LCR in a DD. As JohnDoe stated if you need power quick it will pay to go bigger. I do not need to get to speed in a very short distance so I opted for the LCR. I think it's a good thing for me as my wife is not easy on my old body on starts. If she had anything more tan the 320 I would be tripping over my fingers.

she just loves stretching arms on starts. I only ski with my boat so don't know about surfing. I have wake boarded and it's fine for that.