Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Out of Boat Remote

mparcel

We spend allot of time sitting on the beach and listening to tunes from the boat - the problem I have is when I need to do anything (skip a song, turn up the volume, etc.) I have to set down my beverage Cry.gif and walk down to the boat and make the changes while inside the boat or get close to the boat and at the right angle with the remote and that only works if I remembered to keep the arm rest open. Someone must have found a better way - I have a Sony Gigapanel.

Thanks as always for the help!

I have a RF (Radio Frequency) remote that is made by alpine specifically for alpine stereos. It has a range of a few hundred feet and does not need line of sight. A surfer or boarder and take it, or we can take it on the beach or around the dock and house and control the stereo. I dont think sony has anything like that though...

You can check this out: http://www.h2owaves.com/

looks like a similar unit, but universal. Dont know if it will work with your sony or not, and I have no experiance with that particular product, but I think it runs on a simmilar idea to the alpine.

- Chad

I have a RF (Radio Frequency) remote that is made by alpine specifically for alpine stereos. It has a range of a few hundred feet and does not need line of sight. A surfer or boarder and take it, or we can take it on the beach or around the dock and house and control the stereo. I dont think sony has anything like that though...

looks like a similar unit, but universal. Dont know if it will work with your sony or not, and I have no experiance with that particular product, but I think it runs on a simmilar idea to the alpine.

- Chad

Looks like that would do the trick and the Gigapanel is UniLink compatible so for my stereo it should be plug and play. Thanks for the info!

- Chad

Looks like that would do the trick and the Gigapanel is UniLink compatible so for my stereo it should be plug and play. Thanks for the info!

Has any one used this or have any other suggestions - I can't seem to find very much info on this product and I am wondering if it really works.

You could also add a wired remote to the transom like the one you have near the driver. Although the universal remote seems pretty nice.

-Chris

I have an Irock wireless and waterproof (and floating) remote that I got from Overtons. it works great and all I needed was another Y cable to hook it up and I am not a stereo guy at all. It has worked great, but it does not appear that they make one for the Sony. It shows Jensen, JBL, Dual, Calrion, and Poly-Planar

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/search.cgi

I have an Irock wireless and waterproof (and floating) remote that I got from Overtons. it works great and all I needed was another Y cable to hook it up and I am not a stereo guy at all. It has worked great, but it does not appear that they make one for the Sony. It shows Jensen, JBL, Dual, Calrion, and Poly-Planar

Did you just buy the one item and it came with both the transmitter and receiver? I only see the transmitter on the Overton's website (on sale for $64.99), but I don't see the receiver that plugs into the back of the stereo. If it is included with the remote for $64.99, that's a great deal. Just need to see if one of the units listed would be compatible with the Sony as their website does say it is compatible (any with the uni-link).

They list Sony on the manufacturers website - you don't have any issues with obstacles blocking the signal? How far away have you used it?

Thanks for the input - the price looks fairly reasonable - and if it does what it say's it should would work good for what I need it for.

This is what I do in your exact situation.

I purchased a Scosche Bluetooth transmitter and receiver off of Ebay.

I connect the Bluetooth Receiver to the AUX input on the boat head Unit. The Bluetooth Transmitter is connected to the Ipod with me on shore. I use the Ipod volume to control the volume so I never have to even get in the boat.

The transmitter is suppose to work up to about 30ft away but I've been as far as 75ft with it working great as long as there's nothing in the way. I use it all the time.

Here is what I use

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scosche-Bluelife-iPod-...93%3A1|294%3A50

You will have to have 110VAC for the receiver. I have a portable inverter in my boat.

Edited by l1spoogy

When I purchased it from Overtons, it came with everything remote and receiver. But, I had the wired Transom remote, so I had to buy another Y-cable so that I could add it. I have used it in the water swimming close to the boat, not too far away. But, they show that you can mount it to your ski handle and control the volume while skiing but I can not say for sure. I may get a chance to check the range today. it is handy, the Wife likes to keep it and turn the volume down when I get carried away...

• 9 months later...

You are running a Dual headunit?

Uh oh, I doubt Pete is running a Dual HU. The write up is kindof misleading, I wonder if you can make it work with other HU's. Shouldn't be hard to turn around on Ebay :biggrin:

Who was it that thought they ordered like 60' of hose or something but only got 60" and they were raving about what a good deal they had found :rofl:

I have the rf waterproof irock remote from h2owaves.com. It works pretty good, the rf is definitely the way to go. Alpine's looks like it's made by the same company. The part that plugs into my head unit went bas and they sent me a new one very quickly.

You are running a Dual headunit?

I'm not running a Dual HU.

Currently Sony, soon to be Alpine.

I realized it said Dual in the title but, I figured it's gotta be the same remote for all the radios. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. We'll see.

I was reading this thread and this one. I figured if they list all these different brand HUs on the order page the remotes gotta be the same.

I'm not running a Dual HU.

Currently Sony, soon to be Alpine.

I realized it said Dual in the title but, I figured it's gotta be the same remote for all the radios. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. We'll see.

I was reading this thread and this one. I figured if they list all these different brand HUs on the order page the remotes gotta be the same.

When you click the manufacturer pull down on the order page, Sony says only unilink tho... which is sony's proprietary plug. I don't know why they would limit their remotes to being unilink compatible but not require you to use unilink.

That said, the boost box (which is just another form of remote) does work with sony via the 3.5mm steering wheel control input, not unilink. Boost box is still manufacturer specific, though.

Edited by shawndoggy

Pete, in your favor I just looked a the steering wheel remote interfaces on the Crutchfield site. Really that's all (I think) this is -- like integrating factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket deck, this gizmo just substitutes its own remote and inteface.

Anyhow, the part listed for Dual decks is the same one that works with Pioneer and Sony (but not alpine): http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIPS/PAC-SWI-PS.html?tp=3405

Like the boost box, it uses the 3.5mm jack not unilink. So if the h2owaves product works the same way as these other two aftermarket remote options, you may be in luck with your sony deck. Let us know either way.

I just got home from work.

I walk into the office and see a package sitting on my desk.

I say to my G.F. "I don't remember ordering anything".

She says "It's from Gander Mtn."

"Oh yeah, the remote I bought that isn't gonna work; according to the crew".

It looks like it's got a proprietary connection plug only for HUs with a wired remote.

I'm still gonna try it.

post-29-126827530614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheesy that the back of the remote is wide open, no cover.

Did you get it to work? What kind of HU do you have?

Does the Alpine HU allow you to control the ipone/ipod from the device and HU?

Shawn

Sorry Shawn,

I haven't had time to get it in there yet. FWIW, I have a Sony HU which I will be converting over to Alpine. This remote supposedly is only gonna work with a Dual HU. We'll see.

When I switch HUs I'm gonna relocate the HU so that it's under the dash. I'd suggest you do the same thing.

As far as working with any Apple gear, I have no idea.

• 2 months later...

The latest generation of The Boost Box is compatible with many different HU's using the same physical unit. There is way to program the unit to match your head unit, in case you want to take The Boost Box on to a friends boat, or change HU's or whatever.

There is a restriction at this time with Sony and JBL wired units. Otherwise a unit which supports IR also supports the wired HU's depending on what cable you need.

The IR version is interoperable with

• Clarion - IR

• Kenwood - IR

• Pioneer - IR

• Alpine - IR

• JVC - IR

• Sony - IR

• Clarion - wired

• Kenwood - wired

• MB Quart - wired

Please let me know if you have any other technical questions. I am most happy to help out in any way I can.

Braon

DISCLAIMER - I represent The Boost Box on the web.