Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I add octane boost??

I just bought a 2005 wakesetter 25 LSV and the seller suggested putting in an octane booster every fill up. Should I do this and what octane should I fill up with...I didnt even ask.

I just bought a 2005 wakesetter 25 LSV and the seller suggested putting in an octane booster every fill up. Should I do this and what octane should I fill up with...I didnt even ask.

Not unless you like to waste money. I think mid-grade or better is what you want. Stay away from low octane (89 octane or better around here). Some one can correct me, but I don't believe any of the motor choices require premium (91 or 92 octane or better).

BTW - Welcome to TMC. Post up some pics!

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Not unless you like to waste money. I think mid-grade or better is what you want. Stay away from low octane (89 octane or better around here). Some one can correct me, but I don't believe any of the motor choices require premium (91 or 92 octane or better).

BTW - Welcome to TMC. Post up some pics!

I tried some octane boost when I was learning about hot rodding, engines and stuff, That stuff can ruin your spark plugs. Maybe it's improved since the 80's ?

The best way to boost you juice is to buy some race gas and mix what you require with your premium pump gas. Some 76 stations have 100 at the pump NAPA auto parts sells SUNOCO and TRICK in 5 gallon cans. Leaded and un-leaded

Don't bother, and I would just put regular old 87 in and make sure I use it (don't let gas sit in the tank) if the gas is going to sit for some time I would put mid grade 89 per indmar's reccomendation.

-Chris

If you take the time to read the labels on the octane booster cans like I did, you will find that octane boosters only raise the octane about one point some even less. Big time waste of money! Big D was right Race gas is better solution or Aviation gas as well.

A monsoon will do fine on 87, a Hammerhead is recommended to burn 89, and the LS-one's were 92 or better, no exceptions.

Don't bother, and I would just put regular old 87 in and make sure I use it (don't let gas sit in the tank) if the gas is going to sit for some time I would put mid grade 89 per indmar's reccomendation.

-Chris

I run 89 for this very reason. Between work schedules and kids activities, sometimes there is some time between outings.