Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Altitude Prop Selection

water_junky

I have a 2009 VLX with the hammerhead, we mostly hydrofoil (23 to 25 mph) but will slalom ski at times, and wakeboard once in a while. Currently the boat has the stock Acme 537 prop. I'm getting ready to buy another prop to have a spare and was thinking about getting a different one then the stock one. Does anyone at high altitude have a recommendation of what prop to run?

Thanks,

Terry

I have a 2009 VLX with the hammerhead, we mostly hydrofoil (23 to 25 mph) but will slalom ski at times, and wakeboard once in a while. Currently the boat has the stock Acme 537 prop. I'm getting ready to buy another prop to have a spare and was thinking about getting a different one then the stock one. Does anyone at high altitude have a recommendation of what prop to run?

Thanks,

Terry

ACME 1235 is the high altitude prop from the factory.

Another good possibility (and highly suggested by Valley Prop in Oxnard CA), is an ACME 1273. It's supposed to push my 247 LSV at 41 mph, but the acceleration and pulling ability are supposedly greatly improved (I have yet to get my 1273 wet though). It's a 14.5" diameter four blade, with a 14.250" pitch + a moderate cup. Might be your answer.....

I have the same interest in a high altitude prop but have a 08' VTX w/ #537 and mostly ski. Acme recommended #801 (13.5 x 17.5) 3 blade.

Thanks,

Terry

Your going to want to call OJ and ACME to see what they think. You have the HH and mostly hydro/ski so this puts you in a little bit different need. You didn't mention if you load down the boat.

For props I would look into the OJ new prop for the Hammerhead motor, #514 14.75 X 13 .110 cup. Or the ACME1589 14.50 16.00 .135 cup 4 1 1/8" LH

I have the same interest in a high altitude prop but have a 08' VTX w/ #537 and mostly ski. Acme recommended #801 (13.5 x 17.5) 3 blade.

Do you have the wake or dimond hull?

Do you have the wake or dimond hull?

08 VTX with a diamond hull and mostly ski and hydrofoil. What prop do you recommend at altitude (5K ft)

I'd look at the Acme 1235 or the OJ 475 for your application.

I'm going to pick up a 1235 from my dealer and try it out, he did say that he thinks I will hit the rev limit with the 1235.

Terry

I'm in the same shoes as you and I think the 1589 is going to be our winner when we get a spare prop. Larger diameter than stock, same pitch, higher cup. Holeshot should be increased without degrading top speed.

Did you buy local from Tommys? They repropped me to a 1235 Acme. It has a great hole shot.

Yes, I did buy from Tommy's. How do you like the 1235? What engine do you have?

Terry

08 VTX with a diamond hull and mostly ski and hydrofoil. What prop do you recommend at altitude (5K ft)

Acme was right in the prop for you and give Eric a call at OJ to see what he has. I looked at the charts and know he has one but I just find the one I wanted.

I'd look at the Acme 1235 or the OJ 475 for your application.

I'm going to pick up a 1235 from my dealer and try it out, he did say that he thinks I will hit the rev limit with the 1235.

Terry

See if you can try the 1589 as well. I think that one will give you great hole shot and still not hit the Rev limiter.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2007 247 LSV and we have been doing a lot of wake surfing and wake boarding. I want to change props and I am thinking the Acme 1235 is right. Any thoughts?

ACME 1235 is the high altitude prop from the factory.

Does 08 LSV with Monsoon come with high altitude prop? I hope so.. The non-Malibu dealer where I am going to buy isn't sure..

Does 08 LSV with Monsoon come with high altitude prop? I hope so.. The non-Malibu dealer where I am going to buy isn't sure..

It was an option. The 537 is the standard prop. Take a look at the prop. It will have 537 or 1235 stamped on the hub along with the diameter and pitch.

It was an option. The 537 is the standard prop. Take a look at the prop. It will have 537 or 1235 stamped on the hub along with the diameter and pitch.

Crossing my fingers. Won't influence my buying 08 LSV anyway. :thumbup: