Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what is a good brand for a Depth Finder

kyleecoyote

I have a 93 Malibu Echelon. And my depth finder just went out on the computer. I was told it would be cheaper to buy an after market depth finder. I was thinking about buying the HawkEye DF10D over the HummingBird HDR610P both of which I just glue on Hull (no drilling). Does anyone have any suggestions?

martinarcher

I have a Hummingbird that glues to the hull just like you mentioned. I have no idea what model it is. The transducer is glued just behind my engine and it works fine and has been reliable. My only beef is it doesn't work when I'm running over 20-25 mph. For an accurate reading I have to come off plane. It does make for some slow exploring of new lakes. If I were to replace it I would get one that works when the boat is wide open.

I have a Hummingbird that glues to the hull just like you mentioned. I have no idea what model it is. The transducer is glued just behind my engine and it works fine and has been reliable. My only beef is it doesn't work when I'm running over 20-25 mph. For an accurate reading I have to come off plane. It does make for some slow exploring of new lakes. If I were to replace it I would get one that works when the boat is wide open.

Has to do with where the transducer is installed at & how aireated the water is right there under the hull at speed. Supposedly the best place to get a good clean signal is towards the rear of the boat, as close to the middle as possible. I'm sure that varies for each boat/hull.

I've used the Hummingbird too. It worked OK for a year or two then took a dive. I sold the boat before I fixed it.

I'm not sure about Malibu but MC had a foil liner in the bilge to keep the gas & oil from touching the fiberglass. So you had to cut that liner & peel a layer out for the puck to read accurately. I used a hole saw (minus the drill bit in the center) about the same size as the puck itself, and just lightly scored the surface of the bilge. Then peeled the circle up & glued the puck down there.

Probably a good idea to check with a Malibu service tech who installs those as to whether or not this is an issue on your boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

There are more sophisticated ones ... but I installed a Humminbird 200DX fishfinder with temperature probe about 8 years ago. It is mounted on my dash and is readable from 4-6 feet away. It does stop working at about 30 mph or so. I know that the transducer is adjustable somehow but I've been too lazy to adjust it.

The finder shows what kind of bottom; grass, rocky, etc. and has a built in beeper/alarm to alert me of shallow depth. The temp display is nice also. The 3" x 2" screen is adequate for this purpose. The depth and temp are displayed in big letters. My passengers get a kick out of seeing the fish and bottom below and knowing how warm the water will be. It draws little current and we leave it on all day long.

I think it was well under $200 with temp probe.

This has been a wonderful toy on our boat.

Well I ended up buying a Hawkeye DF10D. They swear up and down that it will work up to 63 mph. We will see about that. When I install it I will post if its worthy or not.

best is to fill a bag of water up, then place the sender on top of it and tape it down

then go run the boat

keep moving it to get the best signal

each hull is a little different

i have no clue if Malibu uses a corred hull, if they do u can not use any shoot thru transducers

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently purchased the Hawkeye DF10D and installed it just before the weekend. It took me about 10 minutes to install. i had an existing thru hull transducer that quit working. I didnt want to chance having problems getting the old one out so i was able to glue the new in hull transducer right next to it. I cut the old wire and taped the new wire to it and pulled it thru the bottom of the boat and plugged it into the new gauge.

i am very happy with the new depth finder. it is easy to work and read and works at all speeds.

joeyd

I have a 93 Malibu Echelon. And my depth finder just went out on the computer. I was told it would be cheaper to buy an after market depth finder. I was thinking about buying the HawkEye DF10D over the HummingBird HDR610P both of which I just glue on Hull (no drilling). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have owned both depth finders recently. I placed a Hawkeye in an 89' Supra comp and an Humminbird in a 01' Malibu sunsetter. Both are glue mounted to the bottom to transmit through the hull. My experience is the Humminbird is a better depth sounder overall. Both work relatively well but find the Humminbird more consistent at higher speeds. This may be related to differences in the boats, although mounted in a similar location in both boats. The Humminbird seems to be better quality overall.

I just recently purchased the Hawkeye DF10D and installed it just before the weekend. It took me about 10 minutes to install. i had an existing thru hull transducer that quit working. I didnt want to chance having problems getting the old one out so i was able to glue the new in hull transducer right next to it. I cut the old wire and taped the new wire to it and pulled it thru the bottom of the boat and plugged it into the new gauge.

i am very happy with the new depth finder. it is easy to work and read and works at all speeds.

joeyd

Where and how did you mount the transducer on your boat? I am looking to install a similar depthfinder on my boat and want to make sure it works at all speeds.

I installed the Hawkeye as well on my 06 vdrive. After looking at various mounting positions, I found that there are holes cut out of the liner that surrounds the engine/transmission. These holes, about 6 inches up, allowed me to reach through the liner and access a mounting spot directly on the hull itself, about 12 inches to the side of the front of the Vdrive. I epoxied the transducer with 2 part epoxy and let it sit overnight.

The system works great at all speeds. At $89 for the Hawkeye plus the cost of epoxy, it was an easy, cost-effective upgrade.