Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine short on power

So I just picked up a 03 wakesetter XTI with just over 100 hours. When I start the boat I see a code that say "Bad" on display but it does away. The boat has rough idle and heistiaion sometimes, when I give the boat throttle it does not go over 3500 rpm no matter what and as I drive for a few min it only loses more power and will not go over say 2500 rpm. Clogged fuel filter? Does it have a fuel filter?

Bad fuel filter, bad cap/rotor, fouled spark plugs, spark plug wires. All things that could be causing it, and all are very cheap to replace. I would pull a spark plug or two and check them, then replace fuel filter, cap/rotor. If those parts dont fix it check compression.

BTW, where are you from. You said you just picked this boat up. Is there a chance of freeze damage to the boat/Engine that could be causing it? Does the oil look clean, not milky.

I am from Austin and the boat is from Houston so freeze damage is very unlikely and the oil looks good. Where is the fuel filter?

Bad fuel filter, bad cap/rotor, fouled spark plugs, spark plug wires. All things that could be causing it, and all are very cheap to replace. I would pull a spark plug or two and check them, then replace fuel filter, cap/rotor. If those parts dont fix it check compression.

BTW, where are you from. You said you just picked this boat up. Is there a chance of freeze damage to the boat/Engine that could be causing it? Does the oil look clean, not milky.

Fuel filter is in the back of boat near the fuel tank. about a foot from the tank link. I just changed mine last week. The filter is $14 from NAPA.

Time for a full tune up...cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, impeller, belt, oil and tranny fluid then see what happens.

-Chris

Well I just replaced the rotor, cap, fuel filter and fluids. There was a little miss at idle that is now gone but still can't get much more than 3700rpm out of the engine. Any more ideas? Is the dealer the only one that can clear the codes? Does it take a special code reader or can any automotive code reader do it.

You can also try- www.bakesmarine.com

Don`t forget the discount for paying members.

Dang, I ordered a couple hun $ worth from Bakes and forgot the discount. :Doh:

Well I just replaced the rotor, cap, fuel filter and fluids. There was a little miss at idle that is now gone but still can't get much more than 3700rpm out of the engine. Any more ideas? Is the dealer the only one that can clear the codes? Does it take a special code reader or can any automotive code reader do it.

What do the spark plugs look like?

It takes a special code reader to pull/clear the codes. If you do put it into a dealer I would have them check/adjust the timing.

No I haven't pulled the plugs yet. I guess that would be my next step.

What do the spark plugs look like?

It takes a special code reader to pull/clear the codes. If you do put it into a dealer I would have them check/adjust the timing.

Look up DIY code reader on the search function. All you will need is a LED light and a paper clip. Once you see the codes you can clear them yourself in service mode by putting the throttle at 100% then bringing it back. You can PM me and I can give you more detailed directions if you can't find them. It was rally easy.

• 3 weeks later...