Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Right Speedometer on 94 Echelon Slow in showing speed

Hi all...finally got some decent weather up here in NW IL. Did the water test and brought the 94 Echelon home yesterday.

Was a little hesitant to tell where it was from as I didn't want to loose it. Got it for $10K even with trailer...and it has a brand new motor! Very clean...long story short...orig owner from South...didn't winterize it...owed money to marina. So they took it over on lien.

Came with barefoot boom, big mirror, bow cover brand new and installed.

Anyways...everything worked. Great take off as well as no slip in trans on "bat turn". Thanks to all previous answers on my questions about a month ago.

ONE issue...right hand speedo doesn't work. Well...slow to show speed and then slow to drop.

Once back on trailer, saw the rubber tube hanging on by thread. Was trying to hand loosen or tighten the compression nut on end but tube was twisting with it. Marina says no biggie...will send me new tube.

Where does the other end go from there? Goes into a metal bracket on stern/transom.

Searched the forums first for answer...closest I found was this:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....;hl=speedometer

Well actually two other smaller issues:

new battery...but noticed just held down by strap. Not in battery box. Would assume I would want it in the box...remember sometime ago that you don't' want to bounce battery cause you can damage the cells. Would think better for plastic to have any acid on it than carpet. Thoughts welcome on this.

Cover fits OK...but could use some sort of prop up in bow and near rear seat. Have seen some folks just rig up a triangle of PVC pipe to keep cover from sagging from water pooling. Any DIY low cost ideas? Saw something in catalog for around $29 that had bungies and goes from bow to stern.

And the cover, it has pockets/scoops on side that would appear to be some sort of vent...yet they are completely closed. Have seen some round disk type things that you put into covers so there's some airflow into the boat. Need to do this?

Thanks!

The other end of that speedo tube runs all the way up to the back of the speedometer itself. Well actually, it goes in the transom, then into a brass "ballast" or "balance" tube (I've heard it called both) and then up to the speedo. If it was just barely hanging on, there is probably a leak at the connection point with the pitot giving the slow readings. When you say new tube, do you mean the actual pitot or the plastic tubing connecting to the pitot? If you are getting a new pitot, make sure it is the new venturi style from skidim.com as they are much more accurate and clog resistant than the old style likely on your boat now.

You can also try blowing the speedo lines out...from the dash backwards as to not damage the speedo itself with compressed air. But if it was just hanging by a thread on the back of the boat that would need to be addressed first as it's likely your problem.

Glad to hear there are only minor issues with your new boat! Thumbup.gif

The other end of that speedo tube runs all the way up to the back of the speedometer itself. Well actually, it goes in the transom, then into a brass "ballast" or "balance" tube (I've heard it called both) and then up to the speedo. If it was just barely hanging on, there is probably a leak at the connection point with the pitot giving the slow readings. When you say new tube, do you mean the actual pitot or the plastic tubing connecting to the pitot? If you are getting a new pitot, make sure it is the new venturi style from skidim.com as they are much more accurate and clog resistant than the old style likely on your boat now.

You can also try blowing the speedo lines out...from the dash backwards as to not damage the speedo itself with compressed air. But if it was just hanging by a thread on the back of the boat that would need to be addressed first as it's likely your problem.

Glad to hear there are only minor issues with your new boat! Thumbup.gif

By tube, I meant the rubber/plastic tube that connects to where the nut is above the "fin" of the speedo on transom.

roughly between 1100 and 1300 new, depending on the version. You can probably piece together some used parts a lot cheaper but then you are risking something not working of course. the newest is GPS based so you don't have to drill the hole for a paddlewwheel.

Its obvioulsy more expensive than fixing your root issue. But if you are even an intermediate skier or boarder, speed control is really nice. A lot of people call it the marriage saver.