Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower mounted anchor light

Faceplant409

I'll use this one 'till I hit the Lottery and can afford $200+ for a $$BLING BLING Billet model...

It folds down when not in use. I just made it this afternoon from 2 perko pieces. It will be about 2" above the tow spool. Cost about $35.00.

Edited by Faceplant409
Looks good, where are you going to mount it?  Wire through the tower?

On the front wishbone so it folds backward (kinda sideways). When folded back it'll be a couple of inches from the towspool. I did not want it "up" full time for fear of trees etc. while towing. I'll post a pic when I mount it...But don't hold your breath.

Curious to see how you mount it on the Titan.

I copied pics of Trace's (don't get confused again Sac River Rat) from wakeworld onto MBO a couple weeks ago. He used a similar light that sells for $13 at Wal-Mart. It looks good on his tower, but figured it wouldn't work on a Titan.....the wait begins.

p.s. THANKS for creating this site. :yahoo:

It is 2 Perko pieces I got off the shelf at West Marine. Originally it was a $13 -12" -2 screw mounted rigid anchor light. And a swivel that is sold separately for like $20. (see second pic) I cut the 12" pole down a little and added the swivel. the swivel has an optional concave base to fit on a tubular surface (such as a tower tube...) One note...I gad to grind the swivel to fit inside the aluminum tubing of the light. It was a little too tight. I plan on drilling and tapping two holes in the top of the front wishbone to mount it. It will mount ahed of the towspool so that when folded backward, the light clears the spool.

P

Looks good, where are you going to mount it?  Wire through the tower?

On the front wishbone so it folds backward (kinda sideways). When folded back it'll be a couple of inches from the towspool. I did not want it "up" full time for fear of trees etc. while towing. I'll post a pic when I mount it...But don't hold your breath.

I'm thinking about zip ties or electrical tape to attach wiring to tower.....

No! I will run the wire inside the tower.

You could use duct tape if you have a polished tower. In Texas we call it "Oklahoma Chrome". :tease1:

Just for "documentation" sake, here is the simple battery operated solution I came up with (simply battery nav light mounted on 3" sewer pipe - test cap on top)

post-80-1113490213_thumb.jpg

You could use duct tape if you have a polished tower. In Texas we call it "Oklahoma Chrome". :tease1:

Classic, gotta remember that one. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Troy: I really like your idea. Very simple.

Where did you get the battery nav light? What size PVC did you use for it, etc?

Thanks

Here is a close up pic of the masterpiece... and the second pic is from the bottom..

The light is one of the battery operated lights designed for dingys/inflatables etc.. it says for boats up to 22'... but I don't suspect anyone is going to call me on that, or measure.

The base is 3" sewer pipe, cut 4" long, and topped with the knock out type test cap. (all from home depot) Because my tow pylon is narrower at the top than the bottom, I used foam pipe insulation (attached with hot glue) to the inside of the pipe, so that it created a firm, no-slip fit.

The light just bolts through the cap. The light comes with a threaded fitting in the bottom and the side. They use the same body for the light for their other light applications (just different lenses)

This is of course how it worked on my swoop tower, you might want to measure your tow pylon first, to check the diameter - but it might give you some ideas for similar type of setup, using the same light.

does that help?

post-80-1115065508_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Are you guys having issues with the lake police? Just wondering why you don't use the standard transom light? I think the wisconsin regulations say the highest point on the boat, but nobody has been told to move their light to the tower around here.

my std transom light is on a super tall pole - to get above the tower...it is lame - I don't use it...

The battery tower light works great - I don't run much at night. It is on the boat "just in case"

my std transom light is on a super tall pole - to get above the tower...it is lame - I don't use it...

The battery tower light works great - I don't run much at night.  It is on the boat "just in case"

I just hate pulling out that long pole and piecing it together. That's why I went this route.

The battery tower light works great - I don't run much at night.  It is on the boat "just in case"

I guess I still have the same question. We don't have a super tall pole to get above the tower. Just the regular pole that came with the boat, about three feet I would guess. No where near as tall as the tower.

I was asking if your have been told that you need a light taller than the tower? We have not been told that here.

I guess I still have the same question. We don't have a super tall pole to get above the tower. Just the regular pole that came with the boat, about three feet I would guess. No where near as tall as the tower.

I was asking if your have been told that you need a light taller than the tower? We have not been told that here.

Assuming your boat didn't come with the tower - otherwise it would have come with the long - lame - pole.. 'cuz yes... it is the requirement to have the light on the highest point. Obviously you can get away with it, but it is the requirement.

I don't have a short pole (pun intended.. but no offense implied ;) ), otherwise I'd probably just use it and be done with it (like you've been doing)

I'm going to make one just because I think the factory pole looks stupid. We'll probably only use it a couple of times a year, if that, but still. Plus it gives me one more project to add to the list!

Assuming your boat didn't come with the tower - otherwise it would have come with the long - lame - pole.. 'cuz yes... it is the requirement to have the light on the highest point.  Obviously you can get away with it, but it is the requirement.

I don't have a short pole (pun intended.. but no offense implied ;) ), otherwise I'd probably just use it and be done with it (like you've been doing)

Correct, I added the tower after I purchased the boat, so I just have the small rear light pole. Lot's of boats on our lake with towers, and nobody has a light on top as far as I have ever seen. I know the law says it must be the highest point, but I have never seen them enforcing such a law for towers.

They have enough to do chasing down the drunk fisherman at night with no lights at all.

Edited by summerfun

here's mine. thanks for the credit. mine is attached with rivets, which are a great way to attach stuff to blind holes - much better than screws. the hot wire is fished thru, and the whole tower is grounded.

it's been a couple years now since the lake cops around here figured out they could ticket for lights not being the highest point.

217749.jpg

217750.jpg

Wal-Mart. it's an Attwood 3999-7. comes with several bases & adapters for vertical or horizontal mounting on round or flat surfaces. the light was originally 12" tall, but I cut it shorter to fit between the bars.

this reminds me that I actually have an extra one that is complete except for the horizontal mount that you see in the pics. the first mount was broken by one of my idiot friends, and I couldn't find it separate from the kit. PM me if you're interested and we can work something out.